monster rpg 2 is now opensource!

It also runs on iphone and android afaik so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Edit: I guess that one of ptitSeb's Pandoras might already be compiling this ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify: I have noclue if he is working on it.

It does require allegro 5, Trent spent some days full time on porting allegro 5 for his raspberrypi version of monster 2. Has allegro5 been ported to  the pandora yet?

So, I added some PANDORA tweaking, to follow RASPBERRYPI and ANDROID, and I got it started and runing.

I have to test and check more, but that seems a good start.

(I have seen that one the function al_set_mouse_cursor or al_create_mouse_cursor is not working on my port, so I will have a look. Also, no shader because, for now, I have ported Allegro using GLES1 only, but I will work on a GLES2 port soon).

monster2_1.png

monster2_4.png

Damn !! Stop porting games !! I still didn't found the time to finish the last 21533124625362345 ported games !! XD

Hum, unfortunatly, it's not ready yet. I have a hang at exit and many graphics are missing (see the screenshot, it's a bit too black). It's all in the Allegro port that is not 100% correct. I'll try to fix that, either in the GLES1.1 or try to use GLES2.

monster2_2.png

Sooo, good news, that GLES2 port of Allegro is working :) And it improve a lot monsters 2 rpg, look at the screenshot!

I still have the freeze at the exit of the game to fix.

monster2_5.png

monster2_6.png

monster2_7.png

I have found a work around for the freeze. An ugly one because I still didn't understood the root cause of the freeze. it's during  _al_run_destructors cleaning part of the shutdown of allegro, one of the destructor just wait for something... So I "raise(SIGINT)" to quit. Veeery hugly. But the others examples I tried with Allegro just quit ok. One day i'll probably find the problem...

I package it and tried it on a CC... And it crashed :(

There is an Atlas (a large bitmap where all the texture are put, to avoid switching of texture) that consume too much memory. When the Atlas is built, using HTOP I see monster take 170Mo of memory, so I guess I  have to find a way to reduce memory footprint of the atlas construction (and I tried to put the atlas constuction before loading of everything else, but it wasn't enough).

Still more work...

Damn !! Stop porting games !! I still didn't found the time to finish the last 21533124625362345 ported games !! XD
Yeah, really, isn't that the worst kind of jerk. The one that does very generous things that happens to make it hard to get any work done.

Game does run fairly well though. The controls do seem to need a tad bit of work, but it's not that big of a deal for this type of game.

Back