Modem no longer working

I wonder what this comment in the wwan-on script means? Maybe summons yomagn:tho in the form of a flaming pyra battery?

Bash:
# PHS8 might be in at^sdata=3/4/5 mode (NEVER NEVER SWITCH TO at^sdata=2 or you are in big trouble!)"

• Wow
Reactions: rSl
My guess is: It turns of the chips listening port and you cant tell it to turn on again after.
Its not our modem tho.

Does it come back when you run "sudo /usr/share/pyra/scripts/letux/wwan-on" ?
Yes, same result as when I use `sudo rfkill unblock 0`
Post automatically merged:

Also while the modem is present for the minute or so it is, the lsusb entry has no name, only pid and vid.
xscreenshot-2021-04-16T233250.png

How where you using it before it started to disappear?
There may be powersave features that cause such behaviour eg coming online, looking for if something goes on and going back to sleep after nothing used it.
But this has to be enabled explicitly, so maybe something like modemmanager tried to send a smart signal that switched it.
Not very likely tho.

Also while the modem is present for the minute or so it is, the lsusb entry has no name, only pid and vid.
this looks ok to me. to my knowledge only devices listed in '/usr/share/hwdata/usb.ids' are showing names when using 'lsusb'.
it would be nice to have this in the pyra-os debian's 'usb.ids' file.

How where you using it before it started to disappear?
There may be powersave features that cause such behaviour eg coming online, looking for if something goes on and going back to sleep after nothing used it.
But this has to be enabled explicitly, so maybe something like modemmanager tried to send a smart signal that switched it.
Not very likely tho.
It never did this before, and even while it's present, modemmanager says there are no modems on the system.

It never did this before, and even while it's present, modemmanager says there are no modems on the system.
Thats not the point, bombs also _never did this before_ and then rip you apart.
The modem has a memory, if you give it the command to turn off it stays off until this command is revoken, regardless how often you turn the pyra on or off.
Such command exist, but nothing should ever issue it...

Thats not the point, bombs also _never did this before_ and then rip you apart.
The modem has a memory, if you give it the command to turn off it stays off until this command is revoken, regardless how often you turn the pyra on or off.
Such command exist, but nothing should ever issue it...
That's what I mean. I never gave it a command like that, and the modem also does not work even when it's present for brief periods. So it's clearly not checking anything. And even when the ttyACMn interfaces are present, they ignore any commands.

And i never implied that. I asked if you where USING the modem at all.
Are you saying that all you ever did was turning it on and off and see if it pops up and not?
Clearly bullshit. You said at least you turned on modem manager, which is one USAGE i was asking for, obviously modemmanager does issue commands.
So what else programs have you ever used on it?
For example the modemmanager gui, totally different to modemmanager here, constantly polls for sms. Ever received an sms on it? Thats the kind of information we need to gather, it might be important, or not, who knows. But there might be program out there that breaks the modem and if you fail to name what you where doing with it we never have a chance to connect the dots.

And i never implied that. I asked if you where USING the modem at all.
Are you saying that all you ever did was turning it on and off and see if it pops up and not?
Clearly bullshit. You said at least you turned on modem manager, which is one USAGE i was asking for, obviously modemmanager does issue commands.
So what else programs have you ever used on it?
For example the modemmanager gui, totally different to modemmanager here, constantly polls for sms. Ever received an sms on it? Thats the kind of information we need to gather, it might be important, or not, who knows. But there might be program out there that breaks the modem and if you fail to name what you where doing with it we never have a chance to connect the dots.
I tried to use it but there's no signal where I live. I then tried it at the grocery store and it worked. When I went to try it again at my aunt's house, it was exhibiting this issue. I have received and sent SMS from the grocery store parking lot. So I've only actually used the modem once. Other than that I did try to use the GPS once. It worked, but only with a SIM card inserted.

Never hat the luck of getting a signal myself...
I suppose you used modem-manager-gui for this?
I know for example the version of it i use right now on my tower has bugs that can cause my modem to malfunction, doing too much polls i think.
Unlikely related, yes, yet you are still not giving out exact details, anything could be of importance, or not, who knows.
This kind of wishi-washi statements that only say something happened without going into detail is exactly why i stopped moderating linux forums. /rant
Other than that I did try to use the GPS once. It worked, but only with a SIM card inserted.
With what tool?
Gps should work without sim.
Speaking of, is the sim still in? Tried taking it out yet? To rule out a faulty/misaligned card.

Do
Code:
sudo pkill ModemManager
sudo ModemManager --debug
This will show what the network manager is actually doing while searching for the device.
I rechecked on my tower: After plugging a modem in ModemManager sends init stuff to it for 40 seconds.
This matches the described "it disappears after a minute" roughly, it can very well be that whatever causes it is connected/triggered by this init.

Well I can only try what I know to try. I didn't have any exact details because so far I've only seen messages to the effect of "No modems in system" so I didn't know what to do to debug it. The SIM hasn't been in it for a while, I put it back in my phone. But the modem did used to always be present even with no SIM. I'll try the commands you've mentioned and see what happens.

Reactions: rSl
Yesyes, the idea was not the sim being missing, but to rule it out as a cause. I only asked to see if its still in.

Key lets recap, the relevant infos are:
It appears for a few minutes and then vanishes from lsusb and /dev
Observing how long exactly it stays may give a clue.
If the value is exactly the same every time we can rule out any random bugs as this indicates a timer.
I made a Pyra OS SD card and it's doing the same thing there.
I am afraid we cannot just simply rule out any wrong configurations based on using a vanilla install.
There could be a bug since the latest upgrade, a bug that also exists on the SD install.
I dont see many ppl reporting/confirming that its only your pyra doing this. And i cant get arsed to run an upgrade right now to check either.

Okey i dont have time atm to completely compare these logs, but i can tell on the first glance that your log is different from mine.
The difference is within the last lines at
Code:
ModemManager[3146]: <debug> [1618814231.656342] (ttyACM2) type 'gps' claimed by /sys/devices/platform/44000000.ocp/4a000000.interconnect/4a000000.interconnect:segment@0/4a064000.target-module/4a064000.usbhshost/4a064c00.ehci/usb1/1-2/1-2.3
ModemManager[3146]: <warn>  [1618814231.656666] Could not grab port (tty/ttyACM1): 'Cannot add port 'tty/ttyACM1', unhandled serial type'
The second line should spell "type 'at' claimed'.

On another hinge: You only used commands to check if the device exists. Have you thought of just looking into /dev/ if ttyACM is still there?

Yeah I did, I thought I had said the ttyACMs disappear too, but I may have forgotten. I'm not sure how to accurately time this. It's hard to tell exactly when they disappear as I have to run ls /dev or lsusb to see.

Back