Modem interfaces (voice,data,...)

With ComCentre is a comparable app aviable for free for the Pandora RISC OS (with surfstick) and maybe also for the Pyra in the future...

Bild6_ComCentre.jpg

The Screenshot is from my RPi.

Hmmm... Could it be ported to Linux? Or perhaps RiscOS would run well in a VM.
Not sure. Is BBC Basic and this is aviable for other platforms. But I have newer try.
RPCEmu is aviable for WIN and Linux and ComCentre should work if it is possible to use the mobile connection.
I prefer to use RISC OS without a Emu or what ever.

Presumably this will use the WIMP - I don't think other implementations of BBC Basic support WIMP calls, so unless it runs in a taskwindow and only in a taskwindow, I don't think that's a good way to go.

I have played around with my huawei modem to learn how to use the voice feature. There are ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2.
0 and 2 are serials ports for AT-commands. At ttyUSB2, asynchron messages like RING appear on a incoming call.
When i send "AT^DDSETEX=2" while on a call, the modem enables voice on ttyUSB1.

With "aplay -f S16_LE -c 1 -r 8 /dev/ttyUSB1" its possible to hear the voice, but when i try "arecord -f S16_LE -c 1 -r 8 > /dev/ttyUSB1", the modem restarts itself.

Does anyone have experience with this? Will the pyra modem also work like this?

EDIT: got it.

aplay -fS16_LE -c1 -r8000 -F20000 --period-size=320 -t raw -N /dev/ttyUSB1

arecord -fS16_LE -c1 -r8000 -F20000--period-size=320 -t raw -N /dev/ttyUSB1

There is a delay, but its good enought to test the pyra call functionality.

Last edited:
If you make an app from this, I'd definitely see if you can add some sort of visual voicemail functionality. If not that's fine though, I have no idea how that works.

So, the benefit from a voicemail function against the provider voicemail is, you have the voice files directly on the pyra and dont need to call the provider-mailbox?
Visual voicemail I believe detects when you have voicemail, and somehow retrieves them from the voicemail server so you can listen without dialing.

I would just add a voicemail button that dials the voicemail number, which could be set via a config.

I would also like to suggest a do not disturb mode, with whitelist for certain numbers.

A basic phone app would still be super though!

I would also like to suggest a do not disturb mode, with whitelist for certain numbers.

Perhaps each incoming number should be assigned a priority from, say 0 to 10, where 10 is vulnerable relatives and 0 is known spammers.
Then, you can set an availability level on the fly.

Iff the priority of an incoming call is lower than your current availability, then the call gets rejected.

You could even have multiple thresholds, where very high priorities ring more loudly and insistently, while very low priorities get answered, and played irritating hold music until they hang up.

Haha that sounds funny, but perhaps a bit much. I would like three levels. Priority, normal, and blocked. Spammers would go on the blocklist, and it would simply autoreject their calls without ringing. Normal would be muted in do not disturb mode, and priority numbers would always ring no matter what.

Are there any open databases of spam caller IDs that could be used?

In my experience, most phone spammers have the wherewithal to be able to fake their phone number, and most of them I've been unfortunate enough to disturb change their numbers a couple of times a day. Any blacklist very rapidly grows, and is seldom actually troubled by spammers.

I would actually recommend not bothering with a visual voicemail system. Maybe just a button to dial it. Visual voicemail doesn't always work right. If you try to delete one without fully listening to it it leaves it on the server.

Back