GP32 Mode7 Driving Game Engine W.i.p

Daz_Genetic

Certified Guru
Website
www.dazos.com
Hi all,

I had prevoiusly made this thread about my mode7 driving game engine.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=8275

I have now decided to make my own thread to track the progress the engine. I figured it would keep me motivated. Feel free to drop any suggestions, coding tips or gameplay requests.

It is currently only running on the PC, as I am planning on using mr. mirko's SDK when I come to target it for the GP32. I will release a PC executable soon to prove the validity of the project, but there are many things I need to iron out first. I have made the engine as scalable as possible as I have absolutly no idea how fast this is actually going to run on the real hardware. Many features will have to be optimized a lot and others may be cut out completely.

Currently implemented features are:

Mode7 ground.
Scrolling sky.
Scaling Sprites. (Trees and posts etc.)
3D Lines. (Wires and fences)
3D Objects. (Buildings)
Simple Driving Model.
Collsion Detection.

Here is a screenshot with the 3D objects working. Never mind the placement of the trees, they are positioned randomly until I get round to writing a loader for them.

Racing2.jpg

Any questions or comments are welcome. I will keep this thread updated as and when I make more progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
that looks great. although there are the trees, but like you said they will be placed off of the road once you make a loader. but if they are off of the road would they be in random places? most driving games dont have stuff like random scenery and objects. that would be a cool feature to add in. and maybe not just random trees. maybe some other random 3D objects would be cool, but it might slow down the loading of the tracks and such because it would be going through and placing x number of trees in random positions.

good job. i had a go myself but after the main mode7 engine it never really went anywhere, like most my projects ;)

are the 3d houses true 3d? that's pretty cool that you have them integrated...

can't wait for a demo

sam

wow, that looks pretty fantastic! That's just what the GP32 needs - a decent 3D game!

I guess even if rendering is slow the engine could still be useful for "Freescape" stlye games (anyone remember driller, darkside, total eclipse, castle master?!) those games were great despite running at just a few frames/sec.

keep up the good work!

Ed :)

It's looking great so far! :)
How fast is it running on the PC right now?

fh36 posted on Mar 9 2004 at 07:13 AM said:
most driving games dont have stuff like random scenery and objects. that would be a cool feature to add in.
Maybe not a random method, but a level generator method would be SWEET (just like the 'lotus esprit turbo challenge 3' for Amiga). This method was used to make TOTALLY user definable levels (well, somehow random anyhow).. different weather conditions and ice/gravel surface would rock also!!

It looks really nice btw.. looking forward to be 'driving Miss Gamepark'

I am now accepting donations for my game.. But before you run away, please understand it is not cash I am asking for.

I want the coders out there to donate any fast routines they have found or written. I am getting decent framerates on my laptop, but am still scared that even just the basics won't run when it gets ported to the GP32. That is why I am needing some fast (perhaps gp32 specific) code for mode7, scaled sprites, polygon rendering etc. Anything like that would be excellent. I would rather it be in C, so I can still have it running on the PC for development purposes.

I am only an artist with little knowledge of programming (getting better slowly) so I really want this to be a success. Any help the coders can give me would help make this project a reality on the GP32.

Thanks for your time

Hey man, is your 3d engine port the port bassed on sdl which was released by Chui?

You can´t earn any money with the work of others.

Best regards.

aguirrech posted on Mar 9 2004 at 06:09 PM said:
Hey man, is your 3d engine port the port bassed on sdl which was released by Chui?

You can´t earn any money with the work of others.

Best regards.
did you even read his posts?

Daz_Genetic posted on Mar 9 2004 at 07:46 PM said:
I want the coders out there to donate any fast routines they have found or written. I am getting decent framerates on my laptop, but am still scared that even just the basics won't run when it gets ported to the GP32. That is why I am needing some fast (perhaps gp32 specific) code for mode7, scaled sprites, polygon rendering etc. Anything like that would be excellent. I would rather it be in C, so I can still have it running on the PC for development purposes.
At least have a look at source published by Brain Postma on his webpage.
He created some C++ routines for graphics and MOD playing, which don't rely on the gamepark SDK routines.

http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~brianpostma/gp32.html

BTW, can you explain what mode7 exactly is? :blink:

Ok, here's a small PC demo of what I have going so far. This is only to prove that it is a real project and not to give an example of how it will be to play.

Download PC Beta

If it looks messed up, it could be to do with SDL creating a surface in different pixel format than mine.. I have hardcoded a lot of the routines to work with 24bit colors so it will look messed up if SDL returns a 16bit surface instead.

As I get towards completing the project, I will create it's own website. I Hope you all see some potential in this. And don't mind all the sloppy bugs, like the dissapearing polygons of the buildings :)

from winRAR, probally why its not working

! D:\Documents and Settings\Michael Paktinat\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2J23E9YR\DazEngine[1].zip: CRC failed in backgrounds\background2.tga. The file is corrupt
! D:\Documents and Settings\Michael Paktinat\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2J23E9YR\DazEngine[1].zip: CRC failed in backgrounds\background3.tga. The file is corrupt
! D:\Documents and Settings\Michael Paktinat\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2J23E9YR\DazEngine[1].zip: CRC failed in backgrounds\background5.tga. The file is corrupt
! D:\Documents and Settings\Michael Paktinat\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2J23E9YR\DazEngine[1].zip: CRC failed in backgrounds\sky.tga. The file is corrupt
! D:\Documents and Settings\Michael Paktinat\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2J23E9YR\DazEngine[1].zip: CRC failed in DazFodder.exe. The file is corrupt
! D:\Documents and Settings\Michael Paktinat\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2J23E9YR\DazEngine[1].zip: CRC failed in libpng1.dll. The file is corrupt
! D:\Documents and Settings\Michael Paktinat\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2J23E9YR\DazEngine[1].zip: CRC failed in SDL.dll. The file is corrupt

Back