Modding the GP32

zimba

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I just finished my first mod on my GP32, not a major one, but it was practice.

http://www.kroglassen.dk/Images/mod.jpg

I think it turned ok, I like it because it draws the attention to the screen a lot better, you can focus on the screen better - somehow. (or is it just my spasms).

I would like to mod it even more, I'm buying paint to do it with later, but first I want my GP32 disassembled. How do I do this? A short guide with pics maybe?

Maybe this could turn into the Unofficial GP32 modding thread. Come on, give us your tips to modding the GP32.

The best submissions will be in an modding article in GP32:zine.

Thanks for your help.

I trust you'll be bringing it with you if you can make it to the meet-up? :D

Perhaps get it modded a bit more before then...

Would be cool to see some nice mods. HAs anyone got any info about plastic dyes? I tried to google it today, but didn;t realy find much.

Axeman posted on Jul 20 2003 said:
I trust you'll be bringing it with you if you can make it to the meet-up? :D

Perhaps get it modded a bit more before then...

Would be cool to see some nice mods. HAs anyone got any info about plastic dyes? I tried to google it today, but didn;t realy find much.
Of course I'll bring it :) Gotta leech some files from you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dyed the front of the GP32 a few days ago. Sorry I tried to get better pictures but it was hard to show the tecturing I talked about in that post. I also think it looks better in person than it does in the pictures. The battery cover is worse than the front but not as bad as it looks in the picture. I'll probably try the back next, anyone want to a suggest a color that goes with royal blue? Rit dye comes in dozens of colors.

Once I hit on the right dyeing combination and time I'll let you know. I still have a little material to work with (buttons etc..) Obviously this is mostly pointless but I need a way to amuse myself.

Also I have some pictures on how to take apart the GP32 if there's any interest. I don't remember another guide but maybe there is one somewhere.

It's sold in most supermarkets in the US, although a good craft store has a better color selection. I'm not sure if its sold in the UK or if there's an equivalent. It main use is for clothes, but it seems to dye most things it comes in contact with (fingers, countertop etc...) It was only $2 for a bottle of the liquid stuff.

I'm continuing my modding spree. I finally gathered enough guts to tear my GP apart. It went successfully, and I managed to cause no harm to the vital organs of the GP32. I colored the grey area covering the GP32, made it black to match the screen cover. Tomorrow I'll be getting two colors I can paint with, Green and metallic blue. Which one I'll choose is not known as of yet - but I will decide! :)

Here's a pic of the mod:

http://www.kroglassen.dk/Images/mod1.jpg

And another (blurry - my cam was running low on battery :) ) one:

http://www.kroglassen.dk/Images/mod2.jpg

nerd of nerds posted on Jul 22 2003 said:
10 words:blue blue blue blue blue blue blue blue blue blue :D
That was what my friend said as well, though I like green a tad more. We'll see... :)

Dozer posted on Jul 23 2003 said:
LOVE IT! That looks sweet dude. Have you got a step by step guide to how u did it?
Well let me put it this way, I have pictures, and I will make a step by step guide for GP32:zine.

It looks very good. What is the exact color/brand of paint you used?

Does it seem pretty durable, or does it look like the paint might scrape off easily?

It looks ok, but maybe slightly rushed.

If you want a really durable finish you would need to add a couple of coats of clear laquer. Otherwise after a few weeks the finish will end up looking awful

Back