Modding Lightguns?

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
Is it possible to make a wired lightgun wireless? I expect the answer is "no", but I figured this was the place to ask, considering how many people here are good at modding stuff.

Basically, lightguns would be awesome if there were no cords in the way (using the Perfect Shot on the Wii is starting to spoil me). I have this Scorpion 3 for the ps2, and it's probably the most realistic lightgun ever made...but it has a huge wad of wires at the base, and it sucks.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Is it possible to make a wired lightgun wireless? I expect the answer is "no", but I figured this was the place to ask, considering how many people here are good at modding stuff.
Basically, lightguns would be awesome if there were no cords in the way (using the Perfect Shot on the Wii is starting to spoil me). I have this Scorpion 3 for the ps2, and it's probably the most realistic lightgun ever made...but it has a huge wad of wires at the base, and it sucks.

Since you aim it at the screen maybe you can just put a high-power IR LED on it activated by the trigger, then a sensor that will activate the button on the original electronics

I am speaking of the standard NES style guns of course, I have no idea about other light guns. I would buy a wireless gun and put the guts into your favorite style if I was going to do it.

It looks like you can get a wireless gun for pretty cheap ($7-$20), and it might work OK. http://www.google.com/products?q=wireless+...d&scoring=p

http://search.ebay.com/wireless-light-gun_...dZm37QQfromZR40

I would look for the 2.4ghz models. Frankly although you can do it yourself it is probably the cheapest to put the guts of a commercial model into your gun. If you have the tools and skill that is.

It looks like you can buy a gun that looks similar to yours and is already wireless, I don't know much about the guns though.

Have you posted on the benheck.com forums? I don't know if there is a good section, but there are a lot of modders there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about the Ben Heck forums, so I guess I'll check them out as well.

Thing is, this is more of a handgun than a typical lightgun (Scorpion 3).

ps20145.jpg

You have a very good idea, but it might be tough to find a gun that's small enough to fit in this shell.

Why are you so eager to keep your Scorpion gun? I have one as well, and must say it´s extremely shitty.
Have you never tried the original Dreamcast gun? It is my favourite. For Playstation, nothing beats the GunCon 2.

Fishbong said:
Why are you so eager to keep your Scorpion gun? I have one as well, and must say it´s extremely shitty.
Have you never tried the original Dreamcast gun? It is my favourite. For Playstation, nothing beats the GunCon 2.
Yeah, I have them both. You're right, the scorpion isn't a particularly good gun, but I like the aesthetic feel of it. I just thought it'd be pretty sweet to have it wireless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back