A Few Questions Before Starting A Mod

Geuben

hey all.

ive had my gp2x since the summer, and am loving it. much thanks to the dev's for creating some great emulators and games. i've decided to try my hand at a wifi mod. i know there are quite a few posts already about wifi mod's but id like some clarification before i dive in.

1) the usb host cable (e.g. the one from artaylor) would allow me to plug a wifi dongle into the ext port. but it would have to be powered. right?

2) could the host cable be hard wired into the gp2x (on the inside of the ext connector), im pretty sure the answer to this is yes, as all the ext port does it acts as a removable connector.

3) are there specfic wifi dongles that are better than others, for drivers? ( i know some people have already compiled working drivers for wifi)

what i really want to know is, is there anything stopping me from modding a wifi connector and a powersource into my gp2x. for portable wireless?

i dont have any experience programming in linux (have done a bit of fenix, C and visual/real basic) so would really appreciate any help from you guys (when i get to that stage).

------

ok so this is where i start to get ahead of myself. if i manage to make this mod work. i have 3 ideas as to how to connect it to the gp2x.

1) a long, fairly thin attachment that would run along the bottom of the gp2x

2) an attachment that sort of wraps around the back of the gp2x

or 3) a hardwired internal attachment. requiring a redesigned back case section to house the extra bits (might possibly be able to get a vacuum formed case made at uni or my old high school).

which, in your opinion's would be the best option?

also (sorry to ask so many questions). in regards to the powersource, 2xAA, 2xAAA or a hardwired battery (will need to add a charging circuit)?

im in my 2nd year electronic engineering degree so i have no worries about the electronics side of this mod. and if i get stuck with anything to complex i have a legendary lecturer who should be able to help, i just dont know much about the gp2x side of it, i.e the software and drivers and interfacing with it (they dont teach much of that at uni).

cheers in advance for any help.

For the wifi dongle it would probably be easiest to get one that has drivers precompiled. I have read good things about this chip rt2570 (I think this is the one ArtTaylor used). Here is a link to some stuff about setting up wifi on Linux not all of it is relevant. Wifi Setup. The WIfi chip must have Linux drivers otherwise it won't work I cant find the link but if you Google Linux compatible chips or similar there is a page that contains a list of supported chip-sets.

The major problem is that USB Wifi dongles draw 500mA which is more than the gp2x can provide from the usb port. Even if you do take a tap from the batteries inside their life will drop significantly. It would be nice to merge a wifi dongle with a usb hub so you have wifi +3 usb ports. A wrap around grip design would be great.

Off topic but what is a degree in electronic engineering like, would you recommend as I'm reconsidering my current choice of course and this is top of the list atm? Does electronic engineering generally include embedded systems?

Hi. I've been reading around on these forums regarding Wifi and I'm in the same situation. I think it would be great to get Wifi working but I have little experience with hardware mods. Would it be possible to have a very small external USB hub that is powered by batteries? Maybe like this one? Except 4 ports are probably too many...

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-cyberpower-4-...pi-2259675.html

Back