MMORPG Porting? Interest?

Coldbird

While both of those aren't exactly opensource, they are low on CPU / RAM footprint, and Shining Lore is in fact already dead (officially).

In addition to that, Ragnarok Online file formats are well documented, and those that aren't I should easily be able to identify...

As for Shining Lore CN/KO version, I got backups of both the client and server software and quite a few file analysis text documents I crafted years ago, explaining the 3D model, bone and animation structures.

It would be very possible to port them into a Pandora opensource version by splitting each game into an io-reader, client logic and server logic part, each of those could get GPL licensed and the enduser would have to provide original client data files, in a similiar fashion its currently being done by scummvm, etc.

What do you guys think about it? Interest? And if so, volunteers to aid me?

For those that have no idea what is what...

Ragnarok Online

2184556602.jpg

Shining Lore CN (2001 version)

SL0092.png

Shining Lore KO (2003 version, only grew 2 months old before it was dropped)

SL0025.png

Good luck with this Coldbird. I'd love to help but my coding skills are limited to Blitz Basic and my graphics skills are old school 8 bit and 16 bit sprites and tiles etc :(

If you can pull this off it will be a killer app for the Pandora.

Having this on the Pandora would rock

https://www.youtube.com/embed/r0yHvBmMSnc?feature=oembed

Shining Lore Vid 2

I don't normally post in the developer section but this is as much a bump as anything else. Maybe even worth posting in general?

Anyway, as I said before, good luck :)

EDIT: Added you tube links

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I must admit I was pretty unsure where to post this topic in the first place, it might have been better off into General Talk than Development General Talk as its more or less a question to the community whether my effort would be worth it or not.

As it also doubles as a aid-recruitment post though I really don't know whether this goes in here or not.

As for the killer app thing, yes - no doubt about it.

And the good part about it is its very easy on resources, one might not know it by merely looking at videos, but there is not a single vertex / bone link in the whole game.

All animations are done by using stiff body parts (arms, legs, torso) and rotating them independently... making it rather easy to reimplement the animation stuff even though a custom 3D model / bone format is in use.

Well I must admit I was pretty unsure where to post this topic in the first place, it might have been better off into General Talk than Development General Talk as its more or less a question to the community whether my effort would be worth it or not.

I don't have my unit yet, so I can't help at all, and even then I don't play MMOs. However, I really think that as soon as word gets out that any of these work on the Pandora (particularly RO), you will get people buying units just for that. So I wouldn't worry too much about having an audience.

To play RO on Pandora, you'll have to write a client from scratch, since it was a windows only client.

The only part available is the reverse engineered (and based on leaked source code, IIRC) server software.

I loved that MMO, if you port it to Pandora, you would be my hero
laugh.gif

But for a more doable project, maybe you should take a look at open source MMORPG like Ryzom
wink.gif

You would have to make your own content, and port the client to GLES.

But the client is already ported to linux.

And it seems that there is a active dev community.

One thing for sure, the Pandora needs a proper MMORPG / 3D Multiplayer Title to kick some serious bawls.

As I lack the artistic talent to create one from scratch, this leaves only a ScummVM like practice of porting existing data over.

So... any preferences as to which MMO to port over? I'm a bit unsure whether the Pandora would be able to run Ryzom, but I do know that RO / SL style graphics would be no problem.

I'd love to see Crossfire on the pandora. It's a bit of a ghost town, but it is an MMO, and the whole project is open source. Tiny system requirements, too. There are some forks of the project, too, but the only one that comes to mind immediately is Wyvern.

I must admit I like the Crossfire Idea of Modularity a lot... with a backend and frontend split.

It allows for having more advanced looking clients (even 3D might be a possibility) while keeping the game logics identical to the old one and even sharing the same server as 2D users for example.

Very intriguing indeed.

Myst Online was mentioned in the Ryzom thread I linked. It's not a traditional MMORPG but more of an fully 3D MMO point and click adventure. I'm gonna check out the PC version at the weekend. I like old school point and click and this looks amazing.

Myst Online Developer Info

Apparently there's an iphone version and mention of an Android version but I don't know much about that.

Erm... Ultima Online anyone? ^^; That game was such an awesome sandbox <3

Ryzom looks cool too, if it's workable.

Ragnarok Online would be nice.

I heard, that there are no official servers left and it's already driven by the fans.

I would like to, but unfotunately my Pandora is at ED's place for RMA (touch screen problem... :( ). I'm eagerly waiting for it to come back and have it in my hands again! I thought maybe someone would be as kind as to try it out and post the results here.

But than again if it turns out to be working ok, that would make the waiting for my precious Pandora even worse.... ahhh :unsure:

Edit: Oh, I think I was misunderstood, I do not want a port for pandora (because there is no source I'm afraid). I just want to know if it is playable on the Pandora's Android port (2.3 GB CM7). Sorry!

Back