Miu Hdpc ~$500 - Sorta Reminds Me Of Pandora A Little

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
Seen this yet? It's NOT a Pandora competitor, but it just reminded me of Pandora a little. Stress: a little. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/24/mius-50...-one-seriously/
http://aving.net/usa/news/default.asp?mode...01&SP_Num=0

20080324114313077.jpg

20080324114315140.jpg

4-inch, 800 x 480 pixel touchscreen display which slides out and flips over for the cellphone interface

Up to a 1GHz VIA C7M ULV processor and 4GB of DDR2 memory

Dual, Windows XP / Linux Qplus embedded OS
Unspecified cellphone radio
Maximum 1.3-inch 60GB hard disk (or 4GB SSD) and miniSD/microSD expansion

7-hour battery (or 90-hours at low power)

802.11b/g WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0

2x USB, docking port, stereo speakers, QWERTY thumbpad and mouse

What looks like a 5 megapixel camera
DMB mobile television and external GPS add-on

It's chunky, not terribly pretty, but it sure has lotsa goodies packed inside.

The gaming controls are not nearly as good as the Pandora's, and it costs way more too. But the flip open screen with the little keyboard and 4" 840x480 screen just made me think "Pandora" for a moment.

So many new gadgets lately!

Everything seems to be using an 800x480 screen these days... but it's just another UMPC folks, move along, nothing to see.

I've never understood what is so great about running a full blown desktop OS on a handheld. It seems like it would be a mess to control. Handheld user interfaces should be simple and fast.

I do like its keyboard though. It has every key you'll ever need. Of course, every mini-keyboard I've seen since first laying eyes on the shoddy looking one in the pandora mockups I have liked. But I read that it was just a placeholder so I'm not worried. It will all get straightened out in the end :)

Well it DOES have cellphone capabilities, though with how big the dang thing is, you might develop N-gage syndrome...

I don't see how you can use the keyboard at all while holding it. It looks like you have to set it down on a table for it to be useful in this capacity. Other than that, the controls on the left/right look very minimalistic and certainly not useful for gaming.

Interesting - but I'll stick with the Pandora (and this is from a guy who wants a linux based "UMPC"). I'll save my $200 and buy the extra widgets I want rather than the things that this packs in as standard. I am glad to see that they will offer a Linux version - it's amazing how few portable linux devices there are. Hopefully that will change.

Remember that with bluetooth I don't expect anyone will actually hold this thing up to their ear. Will they!?

Maybe I'll get one off e-bay when the first early adopters get bored with them! :)

I love these all in one devices, unfortunately only apple seems to be able to make them pretty as well.
I have to admit this one does appeal to the geek in me. ;)

With the Lid Open, it looks like a Couch. :lol:
But 7hrs Battery with a 1GHz Processor is not that bad or? 90hrs "low power", what is low power? Standby or underclocked Music play with screen off?

Low power? Probably standby mode.

Those 1ghz C7M's are x86, but not out of order. Not nearly as strong as a modern desktop CPU. However, it is compatible with a ton of software!

It does look great. But in terms of competition, Pandora's gaming controls still leave everything else for dead. I can't wait to get my thumbs on those sexy little sticks. :)

Prophet said:
Seen this yet? It's NOT a Pandora competitor, but it just reminded me of Pandora a little. Stress: a little. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/24/mius-50...-one-seriously/
http://aving.net/usa/news/default.asp?mode...01&SP_Num=0

20080324114313077.jpg

20080324114315140.jpg

4-inch, 800 x 480 pixel touchscreen display which slides out and flips over for the cellphone interface

Up to a 1GHz VIA C7M ULV processor and 4GB of DDR2 memory

Dual, Windows XP / Linux Qplus embedded OS
Unspecified cellphone radio
Maximum 1.3-inch 60GB hard disk (or 4GB SSD) and miniSD/microSD expansion

7-hour battery (or 90-hours at low power)

802.11b/g WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0

2x USB, docking port, stereo speakers, QWERTY thumbpad and mouse

What looks like a 5 megapixel camera
DMB mobile television and external GPS add-on

It's chunky, not terribly pretty, but it sure has lotsa goodies packed inside.

The gaming controls are not nearly as good as the Pandora's, and it costs way more too. But the flip open screen with the little keyboard and 4" 840x480 screen just made me think "Pandora" for a moment.

So many new gadgets lately!

I'd be willing to buy this before I bought the Pandora just for the sheer fact I can have Windows XP on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
kuehnau said:
I'd be willing to buy this before I bought the Pandora just for the sheer fact I can have Windows XP on it.
Dude, look at that keyboard. :blink: If you actually compare the sizes to the picture with a hand in it...those keys are half the size of my pinky! :eek:

I could press 4...maybe 5, with my thumb. :huh:

I think it is a potentially interesting device. So interesting I actually posted it in the proper forum a couple hours before this post went up ;)

Before anybody gets too excited, I should point out that there isn't much chance of this being available outside of S. Korea. I also can't even begin to believe some of the stats. The VIA C7-M ULV 779 (their most power efficient 1ghz cpu) still draws 3.5W at full load. Even at only 50% load, which is very generous for a WinXP platform, you would still need a 12250mAh battery to get 7 hours use from the CPU alone. I don't feel like crunching the numbers, but I think that may be more power than would be contained by a battery that was the full size of the handheld. Start adding things like the LCD panel and various radios (GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth) and you're looking at only an hour or two, realistically, using windows.

I'm not buying the price with the listed stats either. 4gb of ram and a 60gb 1.3in hard drive? I think that this is supposed to be a very configurable platform with many options, and the $500 price is the bare-bones starter price. The AVING article is a bit confusing.

The HDPC is certainly something to keep an eye on, but the Pandora is a sure thing. This is just a thing :D

That is the most goddamn ugly piece of sh I have ever laid eyes on, and to think people criticised the official Pandora mock-ups for being nasty looking! Yuk!

i saw this, the actual phone part is amazingly ugly.
seems like too good of a deal to be true for the 500$ price, so most likely its vapor ware.

Back