Missing Emulators

I forgot a very good one.

SCUMMVM working
Mame Multiple arcade: working
Mess Multiple computers emulation: ? I hope it is being ported.
Nintendo Gamboy: working
Nintendo Gamboy color: working
Nintendo advance: WIP
Nintendo DS: ?
Nintendo Nes: working
Nintendo Snes: WIP PandaSNES
Nintendo 64: working Mupen64plus
Nintendo Game cube: Possible?
Nintendo wii: not possible
Sega master system: working Psms
Sega Genesis: working Picodrive
Sega Saturn: ?
Sega Dreamcast: ?
Atari Jaguar: ?
MSX: ?
Neo Geo portable: ?
Wonderswan: ?
Dosbox: working
PS1: ?
PS2: possible?
PS3: Not possible
psp: WIP
Xbox: possible?
Xbox 360: not possible
Atari ST: working hatari
Atari 600/800 ?
ZX xpectrum: working Fuse
Amiga: working UAE4ALL
CBM 64: working ? VICE i hope or MESS

Well i leave it so far please make it a complete one.
[/quote]

Exophase said:
TylerAW said:
Good because no matter what MHZ doesent matter talk people throw at me I KNOW FOR A FACT the PSPs CPU is faster. (And yes I know the main reason the PSPs graphics are nicer because it has a dedicated GPU and the DS does not)

DS does have dedicated 3D acceleration hardware, in fact even has some things in hardware that PSP doesn't like geometry based clipping and edge anti-aliasing.

"PSP doesn't like" as "PSP can do them but they are too slow or complex to do" ?

Indeed PSP can do edged anti-aliasing : you need first to draw your textured triangles, then draw an anti-alias line along jagged parts of them. You have to set data again that has been drawn once as a texture by setting textures, filter modes, functions and alpha blending this way :
- Texture mapping mode : UV mapping,
- Texture scale : (SU,SV) = (1, 1),
- Texture offset : (TU, TV) = (0, 0),
- Texture wrap mode : CLAMP,
- Texture filtering mode : NEAREST,
- Texture function : REPLACE,
- Alpha blending : ADD (As, 255 - As)
- Fogging : disabling

As for geometry based clipping, can we include the bounding box method ? because GE can do object culling through bounding boxes to help to draw complex objects conditionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHAT ABOUT

PCEngine_Logo.png

Someone working on this + CDROM SUPPORT???

The GP2X emulator has excellent CDrom file support & plays amazing! I am sure the Pandora can handle that just fine :)

Attachments

• PCEngine_Logo.png
    PCEngine_Logo.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 110
x68000 said:
X68000 please!

Should be viable for the first time on an open source handheld (fingers crossed)

I second this request, and please add PC98. Some nice shooters on both that I would love to try on the go.

Someone on the forum linked to this page a while back:

http://nonmess.retrogames.com/

Might be useful as it's a pretty good list of machines that could be emulated. Will lessen the amount of subsequent 'OMG, I can't believe you left out the [insert name of obscure computer/console from 1987]' posts if you're compiling such a list. I don't think it's exhaustive but might be a good starting point/template.

Of course you'll have to actually research whether a emulator for each system on the list is actually in the works for the Pandora, but I'll leave that to someone else as I can't be bothered :|

kaprikawn said:
Will lessen the amount of subsequent 'OMG, I can't believe you left out the [insert name of obscure computer/console from 1987]' posts if you're compiling such a list.

pfft, 1987, Too modern for me, I want the original pong from 1972. :p

Ok, I`m just kidding. :rolleyes:

Trooper

TylerAW said:
I kind of doubt most Nintendo DS projects require multiple 3D artist if any at all.
I kind of suspect they do.

As for Nintendo there casual gaming crusade kind of lost me there respect, from a business standpoint it made since to do what they did for the DS and Wii when it comes to software since the N64 and Gamecube were Hardcore games and did not sell as well as Sony but still most games on the DS and Wii are crap.
This amuses me.

"Casual gaming" is a label that's come from some hardcores and industryites, who appear to be using it (consciously or unconsciously) as a substitute for saying "retarded gaming". They don't like to see that the overblown, fifty-hour-cutscene "hardcore games" that they like simply don't sell to all that many people. In many cases they haven't realised that most so-called "casual gamers", are in fact the people who were playing computer and video games before a lot of these people were even born. We're back (and I'm not even one of the older ones), along with our expectations of the same high quality as before (ever noticed how the industry's "casual gaming industry" didn't succeed? That's why.). :) Anyone who makes the effort to make quality software for those of us who were or are lost customers has my respect - it makes much more sense than pursuing sustaining features like "MORE GRAFFIX" for an ever-shrinking customer-base, and being disrupted. :p

Anyhow, I'm back off to the most excellent DS and Wii software libraries - I haven't seen such a huge range of quality software that has compelled me to feel like playing video games since the SNES.
grin.gif

And more on-topic...

kevin J said:
WHAT ABOUT

[Big giant PC-Engine logo snipped]

The GP2X emulator has excellent CDrom file support & plays amazing! I am sure the Pandora can handle that just fine :)
I'm interested in this, too. Is there any word?

I only have one CD title, but it's one I'm hoping to play on my Pandora - it's Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman 3 - Ikai no Princess, for the CD-ROM2.

I've gotten the actual disc working in Hugo, as well as an ISO I created using Ootake (which I paired with MP3 rips of the audio tracks), but either way, whilst the game works it refuses to play the audio tracks (which also contain the voice acting).

Has anyone else come across this? :(

Attachments

• grin.gif
    grin.gif
    352 bytes · Views: 103
TylerAW said:
How is a playstation one emulator for the Wii a shocker? They got emulators working on the PSP, ds, iPhone etc..... I don't get it

PSP emulates PSX so well because Sony put out a PSX emulator, which has then been modified for playing other PSX games. In short, it's a Sony made emulator, not a community made emulator. Therefore, it's not really a fair comparison.

Yes, they have PSX emulators on the iPhone (there is no PSX emulator on DS), the GP2X, the Dingoo etc. However, do any of them work this well:

kevin J said:
WHAT ABOUT

*large PCEngine logo*

But yeah, the reason the PSOne emulator is a shock to me on the Wii is for many reasons - not so much the fact that it exists and runs, but more because the fact that it exists and runs well.

I remember full-speed PSX emulation on my first laptop, which I suspect the Wii is considerably more powerful than. :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, that was back in 1999, though the machine was from 1998.

hlide said:
Indeed PSP can do edged anti-aliasing : you need first to draw your textured triangles, then draw an anti-alias line along jagged parts of them. You have to set data again that has been drawn once as a texture by setting textures, filter modes, functions and alpha blending this way :
- Texture mapping mode : UV mapping,
- Texture scale : (SU,SV) = (1, 1),
- Texture offset : (TU, TV) = (0, 0),
- Texture wrap mode : CLAMP,
- Texture filtering mode : NEAREST,
- Texture function : REPLACE,
- Alpha blending : ADD (As, 255 - As)
- Fogging : disabling

It's not the same.
- This is triangle edge, DS's is pixel edge
- DS's is masked out for like polygon IDs, this would need stenciling
- Would AA both sides of the line, the side facing inside the polygon would cause artifacts
- Requires far more on-screen geometry sent to the graphics chip
- Is not order independent, requires depth sorting to get full benefit

hlide said:
As for geometry based clipping, can we include the bounding box method ? because GE can do object culling through bounding boxes to help to draw complex objects conditionally.

No, culling is not clipping. DS has a box test function too. PSP has guard band (not geometry clipping), but the coordinate system is too small.

kevin J said:
WHAT ABOUT

PCEngine_Logo.png

I'm covering this.

Attachments

• PCEngine_Logo.png
    PCEngine_Logo.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 94
Exophase to the rescue!

I too heavily desire this emu. I still rue the day I sold my Turbo Express/TV Tuner/TV system etc. and the 93 Hucards which I had collected. Primarily used my PSP to play them again.

Thanks Exo!

Exophase said:
[snip]
It's not the same.
- This is triangle edge, DS's is pixel edge
[snip]
No, culling is not clipping. DS has a box test function too. PSP has guard band (not geometry clipping), but the coordinate system is too small.
ok, I'm not sure what you mean about "geometry clipping" : does it mean the geometry of the object will be "recomputed" so visible parts are still in sight ?

In that regard, the so called clipping in PSP is wrong as it is easily to fool it with having triangles be invisible whereas we should at least see a part of them. Besides, there is this annoying limitation range about the system coordinates which makes the all triangle invisible because ONE of its system coordinates is outside of this range. I suppose you're referring to it by "guard band".

hlide said:
ok, I'm not sure what you mean about "geometry clipping" : does it mean the geometry of the object will be "recomputed" so visible parts are still in sight ?

Yes, except "primitive" (triangle or quad), not "object." Polygons are clipped against the view frustum (with far plane clipping vs rejection being an option) and turned into clipped polygons with potentially more sides. DS's rendering engine can handle many-sided polygons natively, unlike most modern platforms. The clipping does have some implications regarding the limited vertex and polygon RAM.

hlide said:
In that regard, the so called clipping in PSP is wrong as it is easily to fool it with having triangles be invisible whereas we should at least see a part of it. Besides, there is this annoying limitation range about the system coordinates which makes the all triangle invisible because ONE of its system coordinates is outside of this range. I suppose you're refering to it by "gard band".

Yes, this is what I'm referring to. It's because of this that games probably often need to clip against the guard band in object space using the VFPU. Since this means a dp3 + compare on every vertex I am lead to believe that VFPU utilization in typical 3D games will not be sparse, and dp3s are not very friendly to emulate with NEON. Still, what can the best PSP games perform, 3 million visible triangles per frame (just a guess)? I'm sure you can give some good real world numbers obtained from JPCSP.

Prometheus said:
TylerAW said:
I kind of doubt most Nintendo DS projects require multiple 3D artist if any at all.
I kind of suspect they do.

As for Nintendo there casual gaming crusade kind of lost me there respect, from a business standpoint it made since to do what they did for the DS and Wii when it comes to software since the N64 and Gamecube were Hardcore games and did not sell as well as Sony but still most games on the DS and Wii are crap.
This amuses me.
"Casual gaming" is a label that's come from some hardcores and industryites, who appear to be using it (consciously or unconsciously) as a substitute for saying "retarded gaming". They don't like to see that the overblown, fifty-hour-cutscene "hardcore games" that they like simply don't sell to all that many people. In many cases they haven't realised that most so-called "casual gamers", are in fact the people who were playing computer and video games before a lot of these people were even born. We're back (and I'm not even one of the older ones), along with our expectations of the same high quality as before (ever noticed how the industry's "casual gaming industry" didn't succeed? That's why.). :) Anyone who makes the effort to make quality software for those of us who were or are lost customers has my respect - it makes much more sense than pursuing sustaining features like "MORE GRAFFIX" for an ever-shrinking customer-base, and being disrupted. :p
[/quote]

They say Quality over Quantity now a days and all I see is Quantity when it comes to Nintendo.
Now I have no idea if you are defending Nintendo are not here but if you are I will ignore it I get enough gamers constantly remembering Nintendo in their hey day rather than Sega or Atari. I can tell you my definition of casual
Cooking Mama
Education Games for DS

And my definition of hardcore:
Zelda
God of War
most RPGs etc....

You can be amused as much as you want but why is it that I don't find the Wii or DS appealing? What do you call games like Cooking Mama?

quadomatic said:
TylerAW said:
How is a playstation one emulator for the Wii a shocker? They got emulators working on the PSP, ds, iPhone etc..... I don't get it

PSP emulates PSX so well because Sony put out a PSX emulator, which has then been modified for playing other PSX games. In short, it's a Sony made emulator, not a community made emulator. Therefore, it's not really a fair comparison.

Yes, they have PSX emulators on the iPhone (there is no PSX emulator on DS), the GP2X, the Dingoo etc. However, do any of them work this well:

I'm aware of this I have been part of the PSP homebrew scene since launch but they have PSX emulators for the GameCube I mean Wii is a Gamecube with DDR3 and like maybe 200mhz.

Exophase said:
kevin J said:
WHAT ABOUT

PCEngine_Logo.png

I'm covering this.

Awesome!

I am using temper on my GP2X. How hard would it be to convert temper to run on the Pandora?

duo_kiosk_1.jpg

I love my old school PC-Engine turbo grafx games :-D

Attachments

• PCEngine_Logo.png
    PCEngine_Logo.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 108
  • duo_kiosk_1.jpg
    duo_kiosk_1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 83
Back