Might I suggest a 4gb ram Pyra version be standard?

Arctic20

Still Fresh
I was looking at the pre order page and there was a option between the 2gb and 4gb ram versions of the pyra at the same price. It said that they weren't sure if they were gonna even release a 4gb ram version. I don't know if suggestions are taken but might I suggest since the pyra is running a desktop OS that the 4gb version should be standard if possible?

The reason being as since it's a desktop OS you will be able to multitask with multiple windows so multiple programs will be open at the same time. Ram is very important here, I know the pyra's version of debian will be lightweight but I do think 4gb would be more appropriate for a desktop operating system. Not saying that you can't do anything with 2gb, I know you can. I am just saying it would benefit this type of device a whole lot.

Either way, at least it's always upgradeable!

Thankyou.

pandora had 512mb and multitasked damn well while having a
"desktop" OS.

Choice for consumer to a point is always good, even when its only a 30$ difference.
I say keep both If you are just straight up not populating an open PCB pad where the other 2gb ram chip will go

Last edited:
As much as I like the idea of consumer choice, 30 euro is really a drop in the pond in comparison to a 500 euro device.

the pre order prices for both were the same for me, that's why I brought it up

well since there is a difference, the difference in price is super tiny,

But as for not being sure if a 4gb ram version will be made. Absolutely keep it imo

I got the impression that ED wanted the choice for performance reasons more than cost. Apparently having more RAM slows the system down very slightly.

For what it's worth, my previous laptop had 2 GB of RAM, and it worked fine for me at the time. I was a regular GNOME Shell user, and I never felt like I was short on RAM except after I accidentally left one of the RAM cards dislodged (1 GB of RAM was clearly too little). I'm sure RAM requirements have gone up since then, so 4 GB is much more future-proof, but probably not truly necessary.

the pre order prices for both were the same for me, that's why I brought it up

if you read the fine print, the pre-order payment is just a voucher towards the final cost -- in the end, the 4GB model will cost 30 euro more. (e.g. 530 vs. 500 euro for the full device, of which the pre-order payment is a downpayment towards.)

but it definitely looks like if we had to make a choice to do one or the other, 4GB would make the most sense (that is, if the board works well with it), since it is the most popular.

Excuse me? When did we went from 4gb is bad to MOAR RAM?
Do you even know what to use it for?
99% of the time it just sits there beeing unused and eating battery power.

Excuse me? When did we went from 4gb is bad to MOAR RAM?
Do you even know what to use it for?
99% of the time it just sits there beeing unused and eating battery power.
My guess is the moment the price difference went public.

30€, plus taxes 36€.
Thats not exactly cheap.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of battery difference might be seen between 2GB and 4GB?
[doublepost=1462364634,1462364577][/doublepost]
Either way, at least it's always upgradeable!
This is the second time I've seen somebody say this. Can you upgrade the RAM in the Pyra?

Does anyone have any idea what sort of battery difference might be seen between 2GB and 4GB?
[doublepost=1462364634,1462364577][/doublepost]
This is the second time I've seen somebody say this. Can you upgrade the RAM in the Pyra?
Yeah the Memory is on the SoC Daughterboard, not on the main board.

You can always swap the main board too, not that that has anything to do with RAM.

Yeah the Memory is on the SoC Daughterboard, not on the main board.
I wonder though, just how easy/cheap an upgrade would be.

Maybe a CPU board swap could be relatively cheap (pay only the price difference, and shipping costs). But a fully new CPU board could be very pricey (half of the Pyra cost, maybe). It's like the battery on an electric car, it's so expensive to replace that you might as well buy a new car. ;)

I wonder though, just how easy/cheap an upgrade would be.

Maybe a CPU board swap could be relatively cheap (pay only the price difference, and shipping costs). But a fully new CPU board could be very pricey (half of the Pyra cost, maybe). It's like the battery on an electric car, it's so expensive to replace that you might as well buy a new car. ;)
I believe ED quoted future SoC boards if developed would be around 100EUR, still a bit cheaper than the overall price of a new unit.

I believe ED quoted future SoC boards if developed would be around 100EUR, still a bit cheaper than the overall price of a new unit.
Oh, didn't know ED mentioned that. I was expecting much higher costs (kinda used to expect higher costs around here ;)).

Still something that can only happen a good few years down the line, if at all. But good, nonetheless. :)

Well, if I remeber correctly, the components themselves would cost 70€~80€ (30€ SoC + 20€ RAM + 20€ Storage), so depending on how big the time investment would be, it could be feasible.

I got the impression that ED wanted the choice for performance reasons more than cost. Apparently having more RAM slows the system down very slightly.

According to who? It increases power consumption which I guess could thermally limit the CPU even further, although the RAM is a bit away from the CPU.

On the other hand, if this 2GB version uses 2x16-bit chips (which all indications are that it will in order to support 4GB) it'll cut available bandwidth in half which will hurt performance, especially GPU performance. Still haven't seen a comment from ED on this..

Back