Release Midori 0.4.2

slaeshjag

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A quick port of the Midori browser. Nothing has changed in the packaging since Midori 0.4.1, so the changelog here should cover everything. Please note that earlier versions of midori (all but the last 0.4.1 release) stored the cache on NAND. Simply delete Applications/Cache/midori (from your homefolder) and you'll free all space it used.

Download:

stuffs.slaeshjag.org

repo

Last edited by a moderator:
I only miss the option to set the rows and columns of the speed dial manualy, the new size is a little bit tiny for my taste, 3 columns are enough for me. ^^

Besides that, the update works good so far, thanks for it. :)

Thanks for the work, I must say again that this is the browser avalaible on pandora.

I have noticed a huge performance regression from 0.4.1. I think it's hard to notice when using midori alone, but when using deadbeef at same time (or any other player) the sound becomes very choppy with 0.4.2 when loading heavy sites.

The same sites rendered in 0.4.1 doesen't use that much cpu. Since I use midori alongside with deadbeef quite often I think I will stick with the old version.

Also noticed that ne version writes on the SD a lot more than the old verion, activity led spends more time blinking.

Can someone else please do the same test? It could be just my SD, or my pandora ...

By the way everything I explained was running at 600mhz.

Do you have some of the plugins enabled? They eat ressources without end. I've tried the add blocker but this let's sites load even slower and eats really much RAM. Midori crashes pretty often with enabled add blocker, out of memory is my wild guess.

I with, the blocker would perform better because it is actualy pretty useful. But I guess this never was written for a mobile device with limited ressources in mind. :(

Thanks for the work, I must say again that this is the browser avalaible on pandora.

I have noticed a huge performance regression from 0.4.1. I think it's hard to notice when using midori alone, but when using deadbeef at same time (or any other player) the sound becomes very choppy with 0.4.2 when loading heavy sites.

The same sites rendered in 0.4.1 doesen't use that much cpu. Since I use midori alongside with deadbeef quite often I think I will stick with the old version.

Also noticed that ne version writes on the SD a lot more than the old verion, activity led spends more time blinking.

Can someone else please do the same test? It could be just my SD, or my pandora ...

By the way everything I explained was running at 600mhz.

I have no idea what could be causing the performance regression (except if it is that you now have plugins enabled.) The increased writes to the SD-card is probably because earlier releases of midori wrote the cache to NAND (woops.)

Adblock slowdowns are traced to a few bugs and a change in the ad search method, probably fixed in 0.4.3. If there is new slowdowns in 0.4.2, I have no idea where they come from, since nothing has changed in packaging and probably nothing related in midori itself. I will also try to upgrade to 1.6.1, which is supposed to be a great deal faster. Also; iirc, deadbeef is very sensitive to load spikes, and I found it unusable because of this. You might also want to try another media player.

In the new Midori 0.4.2 I also miss the nice function of renaming the speed dial windows. The older Midori once had some options for this and stuff like manualy set rows/columns, now I can't find it anymore.

I solved the problem, it was the appdata folder. I tried with a slower card (without a former appdata folder) and the problem didn't appeared. So I renamed the midori folder in appdata and everything seems to work like before.

I hope my experience helps someone

Hey there, thanks for the huge amount of effort you are putting into this :)

I got a question though, in 0.4.1 you said "kinetic scrolling" was back (and trying the old version it indeed was), now in 0.4.2 it seems to be gone again, why is that you? I would highly appreciate if you included it or even better, an option, so users who rather like to select text can have that, too.

there seems to be an issue with the GTK lib included. For some reason, it doesn't detect that there is a touch-screen. I'll try to look into this when I got time.

Sounds good, I will test it later, thanks for the PND. :) Adblock worked but was eating memory like mad and somehow even made the site loading slower (instead of faster).

I won't write until tomorrow so there goes my first impressions.

Agree with Fusion_power, ram usage with adbloker eats all ram. In my case with claws, a terminal, and midori loading the heviest page I know, left me with 0MB of swap (from 128 into the SD) and 4 MB of ram. I wouldn't recomend enable adblocker.

Good news is that even in that case had no crashes and once loaded all webpages worked perfectly.

I wnat to add that some html5 objects now work a lot smoother than beore and only for that it's worth the update.

Thanks a lot Slaeshjag

My comment about adblocker was about the older Midori Version, not the newest test build by the way. ^^" I hope there are improvements.

your comment about html5 performance sounds promising, maybe we can have more html5 stuff that also works on the Pandora. I already tested Craigs little html5 game on Midori 0.4.2, it works but very slow.

After some more testing I think the problem may not be adblock itself. Even without adblock the ram usage is quite high.

Meanwhile I write this message, with claws and a terminal open I have got 1MB of swap occuppied and 239MB of ram.

May I ask which game is it? I want to try it.

Back