May The Power Be With You

Wait wuh??? I thought you were using standard nokia batteries or something? You know for easy buying. I remember talking about this a while back. Maybe I'm not up to date or something.

invinciblegod said:
Wait wuh??? I thought you were using standard nokia batteries or something? You know for easy buying. I remember talking about this a while back. Maybe I'm not up to date or something.
You might be thinking of using a PSP charger?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope it is easy to replace the battery, or the spare one I ordered with the Pandora will be pretty useless
To be honest, I have difficulties to imagine a scenario, where you would actually need a spare battery. 8,5h at full load equals around 12h of average use, I suppose.

Spare in case you do something to kill the original. Somehow I doubt a spare will last long enough sitting on a shelf to use in that eventuality unless you screw it up on day one.

I you are on a very long flight you might want a second battery. If you have to change planes you can have to wait some good hour at the airport if there can't use your charger you could run into problem.

Also I think the device will be "always on". The nokia internet tablet are... the processor and power management is so efficient that it uses less power to just leave it on for a few hour instead of shutting it down and power it up again.
Now if for some reason you have a process that go crazy and uses 100% cpu for a few hour that could seriously drain your battery.

I am sure most ppl will be more that happy with no spare battery but some ppl want to take no risk or have special needs.

I have to say though the 4 crew thing leave me wondering if you actually need a screwdriver... that really seem like a bit too much. Still I would be surprised if it is really "difficult" to change the pandora's battery. I not really worried about that. And the battery life is going to be pretty awesome.

marshal said:
Also I think the device will be "always on". The nokia internet tablet are... the processor and power management is so efficient that it uses less power to just leave it on for a few hour instead of shutting it down and power it up again.
Now if for some reason you have a process that go crazy and uses 100% cpu for a few hour that could seriously drain your battery.

That cannot happen. The device will be put to sleep when closed (unless you run a music player or something that explicitly tells it not to), and to hibernate after too much time sleeping. Which means:
- Sleep: the CPU, screen, speakers etc are turned off but the RAM is kept on to keep things as they were. CPU state is saved to RAM and kept safe. Resuming is almost immediate (this is what happens when you close a DS except for some weird games, and when you "turn off" a PSP without keeping the button held for more than 4 seconds). Since the CPu is halted, no processes or anything are running. This uses very little energy (think lots of days without having to charge, like when you leave your laptop/DS/PSP closed).
- Hibernate: RAM is saved to disk/nand/card (HD in regular desktops and laptops). EVERYTHING is turned off. This uses ZERO energy since everythign is asved to persistent memory. When you turn the device again, it boots as normal but the OS loads faster because the "only" thing it needs to do is load the RAM image from the disk.

Tinnus said:
marshal said:

That cannot happen. The device will be put to sleep when closed (unless you run a music player or something that explicitly tells it not to), and to hibernate after too much time sleeping. Which means:
- Sleep: the CPU, screen, speakers etc are turned off but the RAM is kept on to keep things as they were. CPU state is saved to RAM and kept safe. Resuming is almost immediate (this is what happens when you close a DS except for some weird games, and when you "turn off" a PSP without keeping the button held for more than 4 seconds). Since the CPu is halted, no processes or anything are running. This uses very little energy (think lots of days without having to charge, like when you leave your laptop/DS/PSP closed).
- Hibernate: RAM is saved to disk/nand/card (HD in regular desktops and laptops). EVERYTHING is turned off. This uses ZERO energy since everythign is asved to persistent memory. When you turn the device again, it boots as normal but the OS loads faster because the "only" thing it needs to do is load the RAM image from the disk.
I was thinking too much of how my Internet tablet works and assumed you would want to keep it always on. What you're saying is perfectly correct of course. Putting the device on standby when closed probably make sense for how most ppl will be using the device.
I sure hope they can get standby / resume time to be really quick. Like less than 5s.
Time in standby should be amazing on a device like the pandora. If it can play music for 100hr, standby time should be a multiple of this. So can't imagine it being less that 1week and wouldn't be surprised of it lasing 2week or more... that's of course pure speculation from my part.

To go back to my Internet tablet, it just doesn't have a standby mode. It's made to be "always on". And because the wireless has both good range and low power usage you can actually have it check you email / refresh your RSS at a frequent interval. I don't have much trouble making it last a whole work day this way.

I have no idea how good to pandora wireless is going to be but if it's good I would expect some people doing the same thing as on my Internet tablet.

Pandora uses ti1251 Wifi chipset AFAIK, it should be possible to find out its typical power draw.

I think it's pretty possible to make the pandora wake up at regular intervals to do specific tasks (say, configurable) since it has an RTC :) No real knowledge though, just speculation on my part (DON'T BLOG THIS! :p)

Tinnus said:
I think it's pretty possible to make the pandora wake up at regular intervals to do specific tasks (say, configurable) since it has an RTC :) No real knowledge though, just speculation on my part (DON'T BLOG THIS! :p)
Awww, so if that is true no alarm type functions?

mali said:
I hope it is easy to replace the battery, or the spare one I ordered with the Pandora will be pretty useless
To be honest, I have difficulties to imagine a scenario, where you would actually need a spare battery. 8,5h at full load equals around 12h of average use, I suppose.

4000mAh * 3.7V = 14.8 Wh

14.8 Wh/8,5h = 1.7W? with wifi (250 mW?) - internet; and bluetooth(?) - headphones; and while playing 3D(?) intensive game(?)
OR spoofing wireless networks :p and watching HD movies

When you stay at home all the time, there is no need for an extra battery, you could live without one as well.

But if you go out let say long(24+) trip by car;if you are going for a camp and there is no electricity around, and it's raining so almost nothing else to do. I just can't imagine playing with a small screws in a forest :p.

I wonder why do they offered a spare battery, if the replacement of it is like iPhone's one.

I was just doing research to support my thesis and found this: [[Jorjin]] "www.jorjin.com" announce the Low power cumsuption WiFi Driver code support TI 1251 WiFi in Dec 2008 (OMAP2); and will released the WiFi Driver in Feb of 2009 :(

tolysz said:
I wonder why do they offered a spare battery, if the replacement of it is like iPhone's one.
Well, I don't think you can compare securing the battery compartment with a couple of screws with the iPhone situation. There's plenty of gadgets that use bog standard AA/AAA batteries that do as much.

I think an external battery powered charger might be the easiest solution for long trips, though. If it still holds that a PSP charger will work fine, there seems to be both battery powered and solar powered ones available.
If you really prefer the extra battery option, I guess you could fiddle with the battery compartment, or just tape the lid shut, depending on how handy you are. :p

That's all assuming there's actually screws though, do we have a quote on that?

Judging by this pic, the battery cover is only held in place by two screws. It is hardly comparable to something like the iphone which requires the near-destruction of the device to disassemble for battery replacement. True, it is not impossible to imagine a situation where you might need to replace the battery in the field, but if you have to carry the replacement battery, is it really that hard to carry a small screwdriver as well?

Compare the likelihood of battery replacement with the likelihood of a friction-fit battery cover becoming lost / broken. Then compare the number of users likely to be inconvenienced by having to remove two screws to replace the battery (potentially few) with the number of users likely to be inconvenienced by a lost or broken friction-fit battery cover (potentially all). Having the cover secured with screws is the best solution for the largest number of users.

tolysz said:
But if you go out let say long(24+) trip by car;if you are going for a camp and there is no electricity around, and it's raining so almost nothing else to do. I just can't imagine playing with a small screws in a forest :p .
For those situations, you're not going to be popping a battery out. You're going to be carting around an small, lightweight USB powering battery brick- about like everyone else sane does when they've got mobile devices.

The replacement is to replace the battery over time. Consider that there's a finite number of full charge/discharge cycles that even a Li-Poly battery can sustain. At some point in the lifespan of the device, many will need new batteries. Much like the SP needed. The SP offers that sort of replacement in a VERY easy manner that is accomplished by pulling a single screw out of the base of the unit, lifting the cover off and popping the Li-Poly battery out of the unit and putting a new one in. This doesn't appear to be any different.

Seriously, removing a couple of tiny screws isn't really a big deal. I own flashlights where the battery compartment is secured by a screw.

Though, I agree that an external power store would probably be more ideal. Preferably one that takes off-the-shelf AAs, so that if you get stuck with your rechargeable all dead, you can use some throwaways that you can buy just about anywhere in the world.

Chip said:
True, it is not impossible to imagine a situation where you might need to replace the battery in the field, but if you have to carry the replacement battery, is it really that hard to carry a small screwdriver as well?
Have you been to any airport lately? Try sneaking a screwdriver aboard an airplane and you might end up in Guantanamo or one of its equivalents. And this is probably one of the most common scenarios for requiring extra uptime.

For me the other scenario is trips to away matches of my favourite football club, and getting a screwdriver into the stadium is also a questionable.

craigix said:
Maybe we need a stylus screwdriver ;)
I guess that You state that stylus will be just crappy plastic stick. May be I'm wrong or just don't remember correctly. I just hope that hole for it is as big as possible and I can made my own replacement. Actually just yesterday I imagine about it. I plane make one from stainless steel with screwdriver in. So if such one will be included, I'll be really pleased. :)

Back