Massive Gp2x Feature In Gamestm Magazine (issue 71)

Parkydr said:
Well I think it'll be worth getting allegro going on it anyway... :D
Yes - surely BunkerMaster at will run at full speed on the Pandora :)
And you won't have to use the blitter I would guess :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just joined the boards here after reading the article in GamesTM, and I am very interested in buying the GP2X. I would be using it as a gaming device only, I already have an mp3 player, and I don't take many photos and whatnot. All I want is to play old school NES, Sega, Neo Geo games etc. Can someone leave me a link to where some noobie questions might be answered, I am completely new to this kind of a device. My main questions are, how much does it cost to get the games or emulators, what size of memory card should I buy, and how user-friendly is the installation of the games? If any of you guys could answer any of my questions I would really appreciate it, cheers :)

jedi420 said:
I've just joined the boards here after reading the article in GamesTM, and I am very interested in buying the GP2X. I would be using it as a gaming device only, I already have an mp3 player, and I don't take many photos and whatnot. All I want is to play old school NES, Sega, Neo Geo games etc. Can someone leave me a link to where some noobie questions might be answered, I am completely new to this kind of a device. My main questions are, how much does it cost to get the games or emulators, what size of memory card should I buy, and how user-friendly is the installation of the games? If any of you guys could answer any of my questions I would really appreciate it, cheers :)
Check the wiki (link) there's an FAQ there.
Most games and emulators are free, with the exception of a very few commercial games (such as Payback and Vektar).
I have a 1GB card, but I feel that's a bit too small sometimes, a 2-4GB should be OK.
Installation is very easy, drag n' drop onto the SD.

PlopperZ said:
jedi420 said:
Check the wiki (link) there's an FAQ there.
Most games and emulators are free, with the exception of a very few commercial games (such as Payback and Vektar).
I have a 1GB card, but I feel that's a bit too small sometimes, a 2-4GB should be OK.
Installation is very easy, drag n' drop onto the SD.

Thanks man, another member sent me a pm answering a few questions as well, I think my mind is made up, I shall be ordering mine tomorrow! Edit - Well that's just my luck, the UK suppliers are out of stock. Damn it! I think I'll have a look at some of the other suppliers in Europe.

I didn't know anything about the Gamestm magazine. I thought it was an electronic magazine, or something like that. Anyway i have seen a scan and there is no mention about me or about my aportations to the GP32 and the GP2X scenes, and no mention at all to MAME. Also it is really strange to read some phrases extracted from the interview done by Damien through e-mail (dated on april 3, 2008).

I put here the complete interview:

GP2X Community name: Franxis

==

How did you get into programming?

I started programming in BASIC when I was child in my beloved Amstrad CPC 464. I also studied C and C++ in the university.

I started to be really interested in programming in my spare time (as a hobby) when the GP32 console was distributed officially by Virgin in Spain. I got one and I started to port an old game programmed during my university years (a Columns clone). Also I did a port of the MultiPac emulator by Nicola Salmoria (the predecessor to MAME), and finally my first MAME port for the GP32.

I work in a big telecommunications Spanish company for about 10 years, and occasionally I program in C, C++, Java, etc, but really programming is not the most time consuming task in my job.

What attracted you to developing homebrew for the GP2X as opposed to other machines, such as the PSP?

I got the console really early, because Gamepark Holdings provided some units for free to the programmers some days before the official release of the GP2X. I like a lot programming in the GP2X because it is an open console and it is very easy to code on it.

I had a PSP for several months but I was bored with it and I sold it.

Is the machine easy to work with from a programming point of view?

Of course, my first port for the GP32 took me a lot of time because it was really difficult to program for it due to its limited proprietary operating system. In the GP2X is a lot easier because it has a Linux operating system running on it. You are able to port source code taken from the PC and make it to run on the GP2X with minimum effort.

Is there anything you dislike or would change about the machine?

Of course, the GP32 design was a lot better than the GP2X one. I don’t like the batteries duration (acceptable but not good). Also I didn’t like the joypad in the GP2X previous revision (F100), but it seems to be solved in the current one (F200).

What has the response been like for the program(s) you’ve created for the GP2X?

I’m not able to compare with other systems, because I have only coded for the GP32 and the GP2X, but I think it is very active and grateful. Also several people have done donations!

What aspect of your own GP2X programming are you most pleased with?

As said before coding for the GP2X is really easy. But I was really proud to show my last MAME port for the GP2X (MAME4ALL, shown for first time in the RetroMadrid 2008 fair in Madrid some months ago, http://www.retromadrid.es/index_en.html).

Do you find the feedback you get from the community to be helpful?

For sure, people play a lot with MAME in the GP2X, and they report me all the bugs really fast. I personally don’t play with a specific game for more than some minutes because I’m always adding new functions and improvements to the port.

The GP2X development community has been active for a few years now; do you think there’s much more than can be done with the machine? Have developers explored the full potential of the hardware?

Yes, I think a lot of interesting things have to be done for the GP2X yet. I think the full potential of the hardware will never be reached because the programmers code for the console as a hobby and I think there will not be a person with enough motivation and dedication to reach such limit. In the GP2X there are not too many commercial games. Anyway I don’t think the full potential of the GP2X has to be got to leave the GP2X. With creativity the GP2X will still have a very long life. The GP2X will only be left if a new console with better characteristics appears, and I’m not sure about this because if the GP2X limits will not be reached the potential of a new console with better hardware will be more difficult to be reached.

What’s your opinion of the soon to be released Pandora?

I don’t know, no real console has been shown yet and also the final technical characteristics have not been confirmed. About the published renders, I don’t like too much the design (the QWERTY keyboard seems useless for me, and the position of the joypad and the play buttons seems not good). It seems a “zipped” Asus EEE PC, and I don’t want to have an ultra-portable computer, only a portable console.

Do you think Pandora will spell an end to GP2X homebrew development?

If the console finally appears, I’m not sure about that because the rumored prize of the console seems too expensive (more than 300 euros?). The GP2X homebrew development could move to the Pandora, but if the people don’t buy the console, it is useless… In such case I would prefer to continue with the GP2X and wait another alternative. Let’s wait to see the final design, technical characteristics and prize of the console to have a final opinion…

I've already replied to you personally via email Franxis, but I might as well attempt to answer your questions here too.

Basically, at no point did I say that the entire interview would be printed, and I'm sorry if you got that impression. As you will know I also interviewed four other people and to print every single word of those interviews would take up many pages, and I was only commissioned to write six!

If you read through the feature again you will find you ARE quoted several times. MAME4ALL was not mentioned for space reasons; I had a word count to stick to, sadly.

I think you might have gotten the wrong idea of what this feature was about - it's not about covering the lives of GP2X programmers, but rather about trying to educate people who know nothing about the GP2X scene and possibly get a few more fans on board.

Again, I'm sorry you seem to dislike the feature; thanks for your contribution regardless.

I'm new to this forum and don't yet own a Gp2x, but, having read the article in question I will certainly be getting one when I can afford it. :p

great! Welcome :)

It seems the article is already 'catching' some new peeps for the community ;)

Now this issue has finally appeared on Swedish magazine stands :)

An excellent article. Me like.

neo158 said:
I'm new to this forum and don't yet own a Gp2x, but, having read the article in question I will certainly be getting one when I can afford it. :p
You better get it soon, stock is limited and will be all gone soon.

Back