manual xfce login requests password (on loop)

MrBazil2k

Ello there folks,

hopefully someone can help me out with this small problem here :

I have got/bought myself a displaylink adapter (UGA-165) for using a DVI-D attached screen with the pandora.

Everything worked out good so far.

According to the steps from : http://pandoralive.info/?p=3423

When I come to the point of logging in again with my username and password I m ending up with an endless loop.

As far as I can remember I have never set any password for that user I have created for the pandora usage at the first time setup.

(It usually boots straight into OpenBox GUI in my case without any prompt for password or something.)

What do I have to enter for the password here then if there is no password set?

Leaving it blank will redirect me to the enter my username again.

Thank you in advance !

ISTR some graphical log in agents don't let you log in without a password.  Whether that's a bug or a feature I'm not sure, but it's probably what's happening here.

I'm a little confused by those instructions.  Can you still log in to OpenBox?  If so, go there and set a password and try again.  If not you'll need to fiddle with the boot menu to boot into single user mode, or at least boot without X so you can get to a prompt and set a password.

First Boot Wizard asks you for a Password.

I don't think it's possible to create a user without a Password.

If you can't remember you have to make a new user and set the Password or do a full reflash.

Thx for your replies all !

@ Levi :

Yup I can still boot up into the GUI (OpenBox for me) by restarting the Pandora (PandoraButton + PowerOn)

@ Shenmue :

That didnt work ^^

@ Askarus :

Is that the password I am also using for "sudo" commands within the terminal ? cO

Edit :

I just figured out that some of my sudo password letters arent accepted in that password box. O.O

How do I write letters which are bound to the "Fn" Key combination there ?

Some of them are accepted, ... some are not. (i.e.: € , $ , _ , ? , ! , " , : and some others)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, your sudo password is your user password.  It's that that it wants.  If you can't enter it into the login box because of unusual characters, I'd suggest that's a bug.

Argh... that would explain everything.

I did not notice till now that there were several letters missing in that password box after entering it over and over again. =)

Doh !

Is there another chance to write the letters mentioned above without using the "Fn" key ?

Argh... that would explain everything.

I did not notice till now that there were several letters missing in that password box after entering it over and over again. =)

Doh !

Is there another chance to write the letters mentioned above without using the "Fn" key ?
Use an external Keyboard (should be used with DisplayLink anyways)

O well, attaching an additional keyboard did not work here as well.

Somehow that letter doesnt exist on its layout neither =P.

(No matter what combination I have tried;

that letter did not show up in that example *.txt file I have created for testing it out)

I guess I will have to change my password.

Can this be done easily afterwards ?

Or should I just do a quick reflash ?

EDIT :

Doing a search on the forums beside. ^^

- Alright first attempt tells me that "sudo passwd -d username" deletes the current set password.

- ... okay and now how do I set a new one ? cO ... this cannot be that far off =P

- Ah there we go : "sudo passwd username" did the trick to set a new password

Thanks all for your help by the way =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh WoW ...

OpenBox GUI running fullscreen on a 1920x1080 Resolution now via the DisplayLink USB 2.0 to DVI-D Adapter ...  O.O

This is just awesome ...

Back