manual xfce login requests password (on loop)

MrBazil2k

Ello there folks,

hopefully someone can help me out with this small problem here :

I have got/bought myself a displaylink adapter (UGA-165) for using a DVI-D attached screen with the pandora.

Everything worked out good so far.

According to the steps from : http://pandoralive.info/?p=3423

When I come to the point of logging in again with my username and password I m ending up with an endless loop.

As far as I can remember I have never set any password for that user I have created for the pandora usage at the first time setup.

(It usually boots straight into OpenBox GUI in my case without any prompt for password or something.)

What do I have to enter for the password here then if there is no password set?

Leaving it blank will redirect me to the enter my username again.

Thank you in advance !

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
ISTR some graphical log in agents don't let you log in without a password.  Whether that's a bug or a feature I'm not sure, but it's probably what's happening here.

I'm a little confused by those instructions.  Can you still log in to OpenBox?  If so, go there and set a password and try again.  If not you'll need to fiddle with the boot menu to boot into single user mode, or at least boot without X so you can get to a prompt and set a password.

Askarus

Hardcore Member
First Boot Wizard asks you for a Password.

I don't think it's possible to create a user without a Password.

If you can't remember you have to make a new user and set the Password or do a full reflash.

MrBazil2k

Thx for your replies all !

@ Levi :

Yup I can still boot up into the GUI (OpenBox for me) by restarting the Pandora (PandoraButton + PowerOn)

@ Shenmue :

That didnt work ^^

@ Askarus :

Is that the password I am also using for "sudo" commands within the terminal ? cO

Edit :

I just figured out that some of my sudo password letters arent accepted in that password box. O.O

How do I write letters which are bound to the "Fn" Key combination there ?

Some of them are accepted, ... some are not. (i.e.: € , $ , _ , ? , ! , " , : and some others)

Last edited by a moderator:

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Yes, your sudo password is your user password.  It's that that it wants.  If you can't enter it into the login box because of unusual characters, I'd suggest that's a bug.

MrBazil2k

Argh... that would explain everything.

I did not notice till now that there were several letters missing in that password box after entering it over and over again. =)

Doh !

Is there another chance to write the letters mentioned above without using the "Fn" key ?

Askarus

Hardcore Member
Argh... that would explain everything.

I did not notice till now that there were several letters missing in that password box after entering it over and over again. =)

Doh !

Is there another chance to write the letters mentioned above without using the "Fn" key ?
Use an external Keyboard (should be used with DisplayLink anyways)

MrBazil2k

O well, attaching an additional keyboard did not work here as well.

Somehow that letter doesnt exist on its layout neither =P.

(No matter what combination I have tried;

that letter did not show up in that example *.txt file I have created for testing it out)

I guess I will have to change my password.

Can this be done easily afterwards ?

Or should I just do a quick reflash ?

EDIT :

Doing a search on the forums beside. ^^

- Alright first attempt tells me that "sudo passwd -d username" deletes the current set password.

- ... okay and now how do I set a new one ? cO ... this cannot be that far off =P

- Ah there we go : "sudo passwd username" did the trick to set a new password

Thanks all for your help by the way =)

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBazil2k

Oh WoW ...

OpenBox GUI running fullscreen on a 1920x1080 Resolution now via the DisplayLink USB 2.0 to DVI-D Adapter ...  O.O

This is just awesome ...