Mame4All Dingoo V1.1

gp2xs said:
This problem seems to affect all Data East Corporation games with the HuC6280 CPU, 58Hz frequency, and 256x240 or 240x256 resolution:
Thanks for the extra information. I have some debugging tools that should let me track it down fairly quickly now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I cannot get any roms to work with MAME4All, I've tried different roms site and even download the MAME GP2X_Wiz 2.2 Full Romset but nothing works, after I pick a rom and set the CPU speed and start the game, the screen goes blank. Can anyone help?

Great port, thankyou, I can't launch any NeoGeo roms, whenever I try to the screen just goes black, every other game I tried work fine and my Romset is valid too, any ideas?

Read FAQ.txt included.

"Q: Why isn't Neo Geo game 'X' not working?

A: Currently, it's not included. Will be added later when more memory becomes available."

slaanesh said:
Final Burn Alpha for the Dingoo will sort this out. I'm releasing this very soon. Stay tuned.
slaanesh, do you think it's possible to port mame4all for native os ?
I can help you to port it to native os if you want.

Hi Slaanesh,

One question I have is how easy is it too produce a MAME file with only certain drivers. I like vertical shooters but most of the ones I like are not supported - Guwange for example.

So how easy/hard is it to make a version of MAME4all or Finalburn which only supports Atlus, Cave and Psikyo games?

Would this mean the .exe is very small, as you remove all the other drivers, and that a lot of the newer games could be supported. Or a Sega build , Konami build or Capcom build.

Just a thought.

Hellsing1

eder182 said:
Read FAQ.txt included.

"Q: Why isn't Neo Geo game 'X' not working?

A: Currently, it's not included. Will be added later when more memory becomes available."

Thanks, found the readme myself today, was to dumb to search read it properly ;)

Hellsing1 said:
Hi Slaanesh,

One question I have is how easy is it too produce a MAME file with only certain drivers. I like vertical shooters but most of the ones I like are not supported - Guwange for example.

So how easy/hard is it to make a version of MAME4all or Finalburn which only supports Atlus, Cave and Psikyo games?

Hellsing1
Final Burn coming for dingoo shortly. Will support Cave games for sure. I've also played Guwange on it - it's a tall order given the size of the ROM but it's certainly playable. Donpachi plays like a dream - smooth and fullspeed.

gp2xs said:
slaanesh said:
slaanesh said:
Sasha said:
slaanesh can you confirm "Joe & Mac" (cninja/cninja0) crash when you press "L+R+Select" during game? (the game itself runs)
Dingoo has to be resetted via reset btn..
I'll have a look at it.
Yes, it does crash. I haven't found the problem (yet) but i'll continue to look.

This problem seems to affect all Data East Corporation games with the HuC6280 CPU, 58Hz frequency, and 256x240 or 240x256 resolution:

cninjau , Caveman Ninja (US ver 4) , Data East Corporation , 1991 , .035b08
cninja1 , Caveman Ninja (World ver 1) , Data East Corporation , 1991 , .035b08
cninja , Caveman Ninja (World ver 4) , Data East Corporation , 1991 , .035b12
cbusterj , Crude Buster (Japan) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .036b02
cbusterw , Crude Buster (World FU version) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .036b02
cbuster , Crude Buster (World FX version) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .036b02
darksealj , Dark Seal (Japan) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .036b13
darkseal1 , Dark Seal (World revision 1) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .033b07
darkseal , Dark Seal (World revision 3) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .035b06
gatedoom1 , Gate of Doom (US revision 1) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .035b06
gatedoom , Gate of Doom (US revision 4) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .035b01
madmotor , Mad Motor , Mitchell , 1989 , .036b12
joemac , Tatakae Genshizin Joe & Mac (Japan ver 1) , Data East Corporation , 1991 , .035b08
twocrude , Two Crude (US) , Data East USA , 1990 , .036b02
kuhga , Kuhga - Operation Code 'Vapor Trail' (Japan revision 3) , Data East Corporation , 1989 , .036b01
vaportrau , Vapor Trail - Hyper Offence Formation (US) , Data East USA , 1989 , .036b01
vaportra , Vapor Trail - Hyper Offence Formation (World revision 1) , Data East Corporation , 1989 , .037b02

I believe I have fixed these issues now. There were some problems with malloc() and free() and another issue with an FM sound subsystem getting initialized twice! It will also fix other (non-listed) games that were bombing out on exit.

The odd thing is that this code base is the same on the GP2X/Wiz so I would have thought the problem should exist there too! Seems like newlib on the GP2X deals with it better (or worse, as they are bugs?) than ucLibc for the A320.

Anyway that stuff is fixed and I can continue with some other more interesting things which includes a general speed up and size reduction of the executable.

slaanesh said:
gp2xs said:
slaanesh said:
slaanesh said:
Sasha said:
slaanesh can you confirm "Joe & Mac" (cninja/cninja0) crash when you press "L+R+Select" during game? (the game itself runs)
Dingoo has to be resetted via reset btn..
I'll have a look at it.
Yes, it does crash. I haven't found the problem (yet) but i'll continue to look.

cninjau , Caveman Ninja (US ver 4) , Data East Corporation , 1991 , .035b08
cninja1 , Caveman Ninja (World ver 1) , Data East Corporation , 1991 , .035b08
cninja , Caveman Ninja (World ver 4) , Data East Corporation , 1991 , .035b12
cbusterj , Crude Buster (Japan) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .036b02
cbusterw , Crude Buster (World FU version) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .036b02
cbuster , Crude Buster (World FX version) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .036b02
darksealj , Dark Seal (Japan) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .036b13
darkseal1 , Dark Seal (World revision 1) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .033b07
darkseal , Dark Seal (World revision 3) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .035b06
gatedoom1 , Gate of Doom (US revision 1) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .035b06
gatedoom , Gate of Doom (US revision 4) , Data East Corporation , 1990 , .035b01
madmotor , Mad Motor , Mitchell , 1989 , .036b12
joemac , Tatakae Genshizin Joe & Mac (Japan ver 1) , Data East Corporation , 1991 , .035b08
twocrude , Two Crude (US) , Data East USA , 1990 , .036b02
kuhga , Kuhga - Operation Code 'Vapor Trail' (Japan revision 3) , Data East Corporation , 1989 , .036b01
vaportrau , Vapor Trail - Hyper Offence Formation (US) , Data East USA , 1989 , .036b01
vaportra , Vapor Trail - Hyper Offence Formation (World revision 1) , Data East Corporation , 1989 , .037b02

I believe I have fixed these issues now. There were some problems with malloc() and free() and another issue with an FM sound subsystem getting initialized twice! It will also fix other (non-listed) games that were bombing out on exit.

The odd thing is that this code base is the same on the GP2X/Wiz so I would have thought the problem should exist there too! Seems like newlib on the GP2X deals with it better (or worse, as they are bugs?) than ucLibc for the A320.

Anyway that stuff is fixed and I can continue with some other more interesting things which includes a general speed up and size reduction of the executable.

great news :) i am looking foward to the next release :)

I'm trying to reconfigure the button layout for games that require rotate mode, Bombjack, Galaga etc.
Using the select+y combo I choose the Input(this game) option from the menu to reconfigure the button layout.
When trying to remap the dingoo "A" (button 1) to "select" it doesn't response. Has this key been nulled because of it use as a "shift" key or is there something wrong with my setup?

Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

MrDont said:
I'm trying to reconfigure the button layout for games that require rotate mode, Bombjack, Galaga etc.
Using the select+y combo I choose the Input(this game) option from the menu to reconfigure the button layout.
When trying to remap the dingoo "A" (button 1) to "select" it doesn't response. Has this key been nulled because of it use as a "shift" key or is there something wrong with my setup?

You are completely correct - it's been nulled out so to speak. You can not define it as a button by itself. It's only used to provide a shift mechanism for other buttons.
My reasoning was that despite being in a handy position for rotated games (as a fire button), it's not really a good button to press. In fact I find it awful and very clicky.

I could enable it in the next release as a definable button but that would change some things around and I think I prefer not to. Unless there is strong support for enabling the 'select' button as a definable key in MAME.

slaanesh said:
MrDont said:

You are completely correct - it's been nulled out so to speak. You can not define it as a button by itself. It's only used to provide a shift mechanism for other buttons.
My reasoning was that despite being in a handy position for rotated games (as a fire button), it's not really a good button to press. In fact I find it awful and very clicky.

I could enable it in the next release as a definable button but that would change some things around and I think I prefer not to. Unless there is strong support for enabling the 'select' button as a definable key in MAME.

Ahh thanks for clearing that up. I know you can use the "L" button as an alternative but being right handed the select button works better for me. Infact I prefer the positive clicky nature of it. The rotate mode was one of the factors in my purchase of the Dingoo. Games that use this mode really benefit from it, they display correctly and look superb. Using the ABXY buttons is awkward for me, as I sometimes obscure the screen, not good when trying to best my high scores. :)

Perhaps the select button could be enabled only through the individual game cfg files that mame creates( as a undocumented feature), this would bypass any mistaken button presses for peeps using the normal input menu method. I tried editing them in notepad but they appear to be some raw/hex code? I'm no programmer..

Anyway thanks for the info and keep up the great work on Mame4All. I look forward to the next release.

Slaanesh - have you had a chance to work on MAME at all in the last couple months? Just wondering if we can reasonably expect an update soon - or if you've been too busy to work on this project. Thanks.

I've actually been helping out trying to get Giana working on Dingux, but having some trouble with SDL (which is giving me some bus errors (alignment issues). This has been keeping be a little busy on the Dingoo.
I do have a release of MAME4ALL ready to go, I just have to kick it out the door. Just a couple things to tidy up and it's done. Sorry for the delay!

That's a piece of good news!Is the next release going to run bigger roms?
And have you tested "hook"?
Really appreciate your work.

slaanesh said:
I've actually been helping out trying to get Giana working on Dingux, but having some trouble with SDL (which is giving me some bus errors (alignment issues). This has been keeping be a little busy on the Dingoo.
I do have a release of MAME4ALL ready to go, I just have to kick it out the door. Just a couple things to tidy up and it's done. Sorry for the delay!

That's great news, can't wait for the new release. Please kick it out the door as soon as you can!

BTW - don't apologize, I just wanted to check if MAME was a living project. Thanks!

slaanesh said:
A bit off topic but do you think any of the changes you make could be put into the Wiz version of MAME? There are quite a few games that are broken such as the Rampage, Tapper etc ones where the screen is clipped off.

I am not sure how hard the changes are to make but it seems that Franxis has disappeared.

Back