Mame Gp2x 5.1

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
New version of MAME for the GP2X, with the following news:

mamegp2x1.jpg

Slaanesh:
- Added Knuckle Joe (kncljoe) (from MAME 0.37b12).
- Updated Warp Warp. Now playable with full sound.
- Bug fix to Sega Ninja (and clones) in Sega System 8 driver. Background was not correct.
- Added improved MSM5205 ADPCM sound system. This is currently separated to the old MSM5205 core. Only Knuckle Joe uses this but there is potential to update many other games to the improved MSM5205 (e.g. Rygar).
- Added FRAC definitions (useful for adding MAME 0.36+ drivers).

Franxis:
- Due to the fact the GP2X TV-Out PAL runs at 50 Hz, the video rate is now limited to 50 Hz when using the TV-Out PAL mode, to improve the video output and to avoid slowdowns using the VSync option. Anyway my recommendation to play with TV-Out is: NTSC mode, high overclocking, VSync+DblBuff and frameskip=0.

Grab it here: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

I've got some more things to add soon, including a new game "Empire City" and hopefully some improvements to some games using the improved MSM5205 (ie. Rygar, Empire City and perhaps some others).

Cool,

Thanks again Franxis and Slaanesh, Your great work is appreciated :)

slaanesh said:
I've got some more things to add soon, including a new game "Empire City" and hopefully some improvements to some games using the improved MSM5205 (ie. Rygar, Empire City and perhaps some others).

Looks like daddy's little girl is gonna be a MAME addict. Do they have rehab for that? So when are we gonna see first pics of the little lady cuddling with her first GP32? I vote for "Pac Gal" for her middle name.

Last edited by a moderator:
DisgruntleElf said:
slaanesh said:
Looks like daddy's little girl is gonna be a MAME addict. Do they have rehab for that? So when are we gonna see first pics of the little lady cuddling with her first GP32? I vote for "Pac Gal" for her middle name.

I hope she will like video games to some degree! I'll probably start her on NES and see if there is any interest with that though that's a few years away. Anyone have any advice on video games for baby girls? :)

EDIT: BTW Thanks for the release, Franxis. I'll try and get some additional updates to you soon.

slaanesh said:
Wow Empire City is almost ready... WONDERFUL! :lol:

Thanks again Franxis and Slaanesh ;)

:lol:

muchas gracias franxis, great work as always :)
good to see some new games coming up :)
now if only the nasty sega sys 16 bug with fastmame could be ironed out... but it seems that will be impossible to do.... (outrun without sound kinda sucks and my gp2x only overclocks to 250... so its very slow....)

oh and my christmas wish: wwf wrestlefest.... :)

Thank you for the continued releases of MAME! Nice to see this alive and kicking as always! :)

Mine would have to be Mania Challenge... Mat Mania works perfectly so I always wondered why not that one? :)

Classic Gamer said:
Thank you for the continued releases of MAME! Nice to see this alive and kicking as always! :)

Mine would have to be Mania Challenge... Mat Mania works perfectly so I always wondered why not that one? :)

You are right - Mania Challenge can easily be made to work. I could add it for you no-problem if you want it.

As for Wrestlefest, because it was introduced in 0.37b16 I doubt that it will easily be made to work. Sorry.

slaanesh said:
Classic Gamer said:

You are right - Mania Challenge can easily be made to work. I could add it for you no-problem if you want it.

As for Wrestlefest, because it was introduced in 0.37b16 I doubt that it will easily be made to work. Sorry.

Ehm... :rolleyes: V'Ball - U.S.Championship (CPU : M6502 , Sound CPU : Z80) is possible to add easily? :p

dontspam said:
Ehm... :rolleyes: V'Ball - U.S.Championship (CPU : M6502 , Sound CPU : Z80) is possible to add easily? :p
Perhaps - it was added in 0.37b12. I'd have to have a look at the driver. It's possible but would require a bit of work as it's in the newer format driver.

slaanesh said:
That would be an exceptional addition! I check every time a release is made to see if my favorite wrestling game will work but it always locks up. This would be VERY appreciated if you could do so! :)

slaanesh said:
Rivroner said:
In the Hunt ? :D
Unfortunately requires an unimplemented CPU - the V33.

:)

Don't give up though, anything is possible.

Thanks for the interest :)

slaanesh said:
dontspam said:
Perhaps - it was added in 0.37b12. I'd have to have a look at the driver. It's possible but would require a bit of work as it's in the newer format driver.

Eheheh.... You would be a god... :D ....Already you are :p

Cavelon would be pretty sweet, though to be honest the speccy version is very similar so if there are other ones. I'd imagine a game like that would be easy to implement though, what goes into implementing a game to run on MAME?

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
Cavelon would be pretty sweet, though to be honest the speccy version is very similar so if there are other ones. I'd imagine a game like that would be easy to implement though, what goes into implementing a game to run on MAME?
Hmmm I have not seen this game before. It's introduced in 0.37b9 which makes it feasible I think. This kind of game interests me so I'll see if it's possible or not.

Implementation requires getting the driver files from another version of MAME and merging it into the current build. This can be somewhere between being incredibly easy to almost impossible - and depends a lot on when the game was first introduced. The closer to 0.34/0.35 the better.
Generally games after about 0.53 are basically too difficult due to the large number of changes required.
Games around 0.36 - 0.37 can be done if it doesn't require a new CPU. ie. R-Type or Raiden which were introduced during these versions but use a CPU unimplemented in MAMEGP2X.

Cavelon uses Z-80s and AY8910 sound. It's also an older game which can make it easier as there is less hardware to emulate and therefore less complexity in the drivers.

It stands a good chance of being able to be added to MAMEGP2X.

Back