Mame Gp2x 1.3

Is anyone having problems converting roms to 0.34.  I am using clrmamepro and converting the roms using the database supplied on with the download for Mame Gp2x 1.3 but I am still getting the same errors when trying to load them.

Any ideas please?

any particular games you having problems with? I have Mame 0.34 roms and they seem to work ok (except twincobra). Also if you have the much newer roms, it is not always possible to convert them to a old version (you may have to do a search for a old version and then try converting it back to 0.34)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Franxis, it just gets so much better every release..

Quick question I was going to convert some of the newer supported roms e.g 3wonders and sf2t to Mame 35b2 however these are not in the listed in the dat file clrmame?

That's because MAMEgp2x uses v034 set.
He only used some newer drivers from 35b2 to make them work better on MAMEgp2x, he didn't add new games the 35b2 set offers.

I managed to get 3Wonders to work which I dont believe was supported in Mame 0.34 (but is has loads of glitches).

Damn its going to be tricky going back to these old roms

I got the mame rollback set...then you just use both your new and rollback set to make a full working 0.34

Very nice work on the update. I have been waiting for the configurable controls option, but is there any way to save your custom controls for specific games? Or is that something to be added in a future version?

I tried Samurai Shodown and it's perfect. No graphical glitches. No sound because not enough ram. I need to mess around with the analog sensitivity option.

Samurai Shodown works flawless for me, with sound.
Awesome work Franxis! I never thought i'd see samurai shodown on the 2x when i bought it.

Great work!

Do you think you will add any more mame 0.35b games for example Punisher? and is there any chance of ever having r-type working?

This is the emu I use most on my gp2x :D

My donation was well spent!

NOW ... Just a couple more things, and I can take the GP2x to the grave and be happy ...

1) Save game configurations (I'll NEVER remember what I did on Star Trek - I'm going to have to keep notes) ... I'm sure its in the works, but this would be my #1 vote for 'next up'.

2) Can we get the default emu items sticky? I contantly set Video and Audio to 100% and 0 frameskip ... Just gets old to keep doing it :)

3) I'll chime in again with SAMPLE SUPPORT PLEASE! :)

Say, are there any plans to hardware scale certain games like TRON or Punchout so they can be more playable without TV OUT?

Once again - a kick ass, superb release ... people, throw the man a bone!

Only thing I'd like to have now is save states. I can never find time to finish a game in one go or before the batteries run out. Am I the only one with this problem? But I'm guessing it would be pretty difficult because of the complexity of arcade emulation :(

Would it be possible to add support for later rom-compiles? I mean, Neo Geo takes a lot of power to emulate in mame, and, those brilliant 2d games from 93-96 made by taito, psykio, cave and others which also has rather powerful engines, would be possible to add,, if hard work were to be put into it, right? ...I'm just eager to know if killer-app's like Dodonpachi ever will be possible to run on my beloved gp2x.

MAME GP2X 1.3 (January 08, 2006) All Neo·Geo games are running perfectly now. But no Metal Slug with activated sound yet due to lack of RAM :-(.

Could somebody else try Waku Waku 7 and Pulstar please - I have correct 0.34 files according to clrmamepro, but neither will start even with audio set to not emulated, video 100%.

I'm stuck!

Im having a problem(Im sorry in advance if this has been answered.) Everytime i try to run a ROM which is in .Zip format in the roms directory, and when MAME tries to open a rom, it says: "Unable to open ROM - Error Reading ROMs - Unable to intialize machine emulation"

This is when attempting to play Gaunlet 2, Fatal Fury 2, Metal Slug 1 & 2, and Pulstar. These games are in the supported games list.

Im having a problem(Im sorry in advance if this has been answered.) Everytime i try to run a ROM which is in .Zip format in the roms directory, and when MAME tries to open a rom, it says: "Unable to open ROM - Error Reading ROMs - Unable to intialize machine emulation"

This is when attempting to play Gaunlet 2, Fatal Fury 2, Metal Slug 1 & 2, and Pulstar. These games are in the supported games list.

I've got gauntlet II running in front of me right now (yeay!) so it's definitely supported.

it's most likely to be a filename issue. everything is case sensitive, and the zip files have to be in all upper, i think? or is it all lower. anyway, just double check all your path names etc from the readme (they need to be the correct absolute path names from root level ie: /mamegp2x/roms/) - it sounds like mame simply can't find the files.

either that, or if you're totally sure your files are named correctly and in the right place, then perhaps it is a rom-version problem: they need to be mame v0.34, but conversion from newer versions doesn't necessarily always work properly, so that might be it - if you still have problems its worth checking your roms in a DOS/windows version of mame0.34 just to be sure they are correct.

Im having a problem(Im sorry in advance if this has been answered.) Everytime i try to run a ROM which is in .Zip format in the roms directory, and when MAME tries to open a rom, it says: "Unable to open ROM - Error Reading ROMs - Unable to intialize machine emulation'
Most likely the culprit is your romset itself. Gauntlet II works fine.

As a matter of fact - here I am controlling four wizards at once. The firepower!! LOL :lol:

gauntiigp2x9cn.th.jpg

If you get that error, it's your romset. Maybe one or two roms are the wrong CRC. I know Fatal Fury 2 and Metal Slug 1 loads up.

I tried Samurai Shodown and it's perfect. No graphical glitches. No sound because not enough ram. I need to mess around with the analog sensitivity option.

Samurai Shodown works flawless for me, with sound.
Awesome work Franxis! I never thought i'd see samurai shodown on the 2x when i bought it.

Really? With sound? I checked my rom set with ClrMame and it's correct. Must be something else.

Back