Mame Gp2x 1.8 W.i.p

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
Some news for incoming MAME GP2X 1.8 to be out probably next sunday...

- Auto-fire support.
- Volume control really corrected. Also VolUp+VolDown simultaneously to put default volume level.
- New YM3812 sound core with better quality (MAME 0.35b6): Snow Bros, Bobble Bobble, Hellfire, Gemini Wing, etc.
- Graphic fixes: Tokio.
- Sound improvements: P.O.W, The Main Event, TMNT.
- Speed improvements: Bobble Bobble, Contra, Ninja Kid 2, Psychic 5, Tehkan World Cup, The New Zealand Story, Tokio, Tumble Pop, Xybots.

- Modified ROMS:
The Main Event (version Y) (mainevt) (MAME 0.35b2)
Ikari Warriors (US) (ikari) (MAME 0.35b8)
Ikari Warriors (Japan) (ikarijp) (MAME 0.35b8)
Ikari Warriors (Japan bootleg) (ikarijpb) (MAME 0.35b8)
Victory Road (victroad) (MAME 0.35b8)
Dogou Souken (dogosoke) (MAME 0.35b8)

- New Supported ROMS:
MAME 0.35b2:
The Main Event (version F) (mainevt2)
MAME 0.35b8:
TNK3 (tnk3)
ASO (Armored Scrum Object) (aso)
Athena (athena)
Fighting Golf (fitegolf)
Guerrilla War (gwar)
Bermuda Triangle (bermudat)
Psycho Soldier (set 1) (psychos)
Psycho Soldier (set 2) (psychosa)
Chopper I (chopper)
The Legend of Air Cavalry (legofair)
TouchDown Fever (tdfever)
TouchDown Fever (Japanese) (tdfeverj)
MAME 0.35b10:
Legend of Makaj (lomakaj)
P-47 (World) (p47)
P-47 (Japan) (p47j)
64th Street (64street)
Earth Defense Force (edf)
RodLand (Japan) (rodlandj)
Avenging Spirit (avspirit)
MAME 0.35b12:
Prehistoric Isle in 1930 (World) (prehisle)
Prehistoric Isle in 1930 (US) (prehislu)
Genshi-Tou 1930's (gensitou)
MAME 0.35b13:
Sichuan II (hack?) (sichuan2)
Shisensho - Joshiryo-Hen (Japan) (shisen)
Truxton / Tatsujin (truxton)
Out Zone (outzone)

Cool! Thanx a lot!!!! i loved playing 64th Street back in the days, the backgrounds could be completely screwed up by throwing enemies at them. Thank u again.

woo, thanks for your comments :)

A lot of work still to be done... I'm in concordance will all your suggestions, i do my best, but i'm alone... I spent a lot of hours to make Prehistoric Isle playable and also for Sichuan 2, after that Truxton and Outzone were too easy... Let's see how long i can go till next sunday... ;)

LIZARDKING posted on Mar 1 2006 at 10:45 PM said:
Hi and thank's Franxis!

Can U also support Midnight Resistance as well... It controls just like Heavy Barell...  :(  <_<

I would like to emulate joypad 2 with the GP2X joystick pressing the stick, and joystick 1 with GP2X joypad without pressing it... But i don't know if it will be implemented in the next version... It will be usefull for other games like Ikari Warriors...

Last edited by a moderator:
Franxis posted on Mar 2 2006 at 05:46 AM said:
- Speed improvements: Bobble Bobble, Contra, Ninja Kid 2, Psychic 5, Tehkan World Cup, The New Zealand Story, Tokio, Tumble Pop, Xybots.
Also, technical question - just wondering what the nature of the speed improvements are for these? Are they improvements to "vidhrdw" and/or "driver" code?

slaanesh posted on Mar 2 2006 at 01:00 AM said:
I can't wait for Sunday!

Just one question - any changes/improvements to the DrZ80 core?

No, really i don't know how to improve it more :( ..

slaanesh posted on Mar 2 2006 at 01:49 AM said:
Also, technical question - just wondering what the nature of the speed improvements are for these? Are they improvements to "vidhrdw" and/or "driver" code?

They are tricks in the driver code, almost all of them are fixes in the "CPUs slices per frame" field in the MachineDriver structure... It seems it is incorrectly set in some games... This is probably because the MAME coders had powerful PCs and they set this parameter too high, but it have to be set as minimum as possible to improve the performance (for example '1', '10'...).

For Tumble Pop the driver was updating the palette excesivelly, i have implemented a function in newer MAME version to improve it.

And for Tokio i have updated vidhrdw functions to MAME 0.35b3, it is a simpler function with some fixes (i.e. big sprites drawing).

Ummmm... some technical questions, do you plan to help me??? :lol:

Regards.

great WIP update, lookin forward to it.
of course my dream playable system is the Taito arcade system of WWF Wrestlefest :)

But can only hope that's an eventual.
Any chance of a clrmame dat file release a little early to get some roms up to date?

Franxis posted on Mar 2 2006 at 01:02 PM said:
slaanesh posted on Mar 2 2006 at 01:49 AM said:

They are tricks in the driver code, almost all of them are fixes in the "CPUs slices per frame" field in the MachineDriver structure... It seems it is incorrectly set in some games... This is probably because the MAME coders had powerful PCs and they set this parameter too high, but it have to be set as minimum as possible to improve the performance (for example '1', '10'...).

For Tumble Pop the driver was updating the palette excesivelly, i have implemented a function in newer MAME version to improve it.

And for Tokio i have updated vidhrdw functions to MAME 0.35b3, it is a simpler function with some fixes (i.e. big sprites drawing).

Ummmm... some technical questions, do you plan to help me??? :lol:

Regards.
Yes, I'd like to help.

I'm currently looking over the MAME source code, familiarizing myself with it. It's the first time I've looked at the source code since I've started using MAME (about 10 years ago?).
I'm actually looking at the GP32 version of the code and comparing it to various other versions/ports including the GP2x version.

I'd like to try and get 1943 optimized so that it works as close to full speed with sound as possible (on a GP32 that is). Of course any optimizations should also be useful to the GP2X (and other) versions/ports of MAME. Once i've got something worked out there, I would like to look at optimizing some other MAME games too.

Franxis posted on Mar 2 2006 at 01:54 AM said:
slaanesh posted on Mar 2 2006 at 01:00 AM said:
I can't wait for Sunday!

Just one question - any changes/improvements to the DrZ80 core?

No, really i don't know how to improve it more :( ..

Luckily I know a man who does :) you may want to speak to Mr Flubba, he may have a little surprise for you ;)

Reesy posted on Mar 2 2006 at 04:55 PM said:
Luckily I know a man who does :) you may want to speak to Mr Flubba, he may have a little surprise for you ;)
OMG! Sounds promising - I feel like it might be Christmas coming! So any clues as to the nature of the surprise?:D

Franxis, I've just donated a little, twas only a little-sorry. But we should all be helping, because this is such great work!

Back