Mame 3.0

A_SN posted on Oct 8 2006 at 11:47 AM said:
No, that's not how it works. Just look at GNOME (one random example among many), went from 2.9 to 2.10.

Right, or he could have numbered it like MAME and never even reached a 1.0 release. Software numbering schemes are nothing if they aren't inconsistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan of just V1 V2 V3... etc. I don't see the point in 1.x stuff. If it's a new version it's a new version.

rooster posted on Oct 8 2006 at 04:23 AM said:
Thanks for the improvements that's great news.

Rodland has been become 'broken' since v2.7 - just thought I'd mention it, is it the new sound stuff?

Edit: I'm pretty sure it is :) i just tried it with 'sound off' and it works.

No it was never playable (with or without sound with none of the executables in any version, it has problems with the interrupts, it was ported from a newer MAME version).

DaveC posted on Oct 8 2006 at 05:58 PM said:
Cool, fast update.

I am still getting the sound glitches, then sound goes out, then crash when exit bug though.

i'm happy with the sound quality of this release. In the oldest games the sound glitches occurs rarely. In the Neo·Geo or CPS-1 can be solved using the 'Accurate' sound option (but with a big hit in performance).

About the mute sound when playing some games or crashes on exit, i don't know the cause... I remember the problem began when the sample support was added but i'm not sure...

o0o0o posted on Oct 8 2006 at 07:47 PM said:
Right, or he could have numbered it like MAME and never even reached a 1.0 release. Software numbering schemes are nothing if they aren't inconsistent.

I think it is not important, the MAME GP2X port is based on MAME 0.34.

Rivroner posted on Oct 8 2006 at 06:10 PM said:
I get double players in Street Fighter II , 3 wonders, Mercs, Puzzle Booble,etc...
you can´t avoid it, double credits, double players
what can it be?

Download again the file, it was an stupid mistake i solved an hour after the release.

to me it goes like this a.b.c "A" meaning nearly complete re hauls. IMHO most home brew doesn't get pas 1.b.c "B" signifying substantial improvements be it speed or graphically. And finally, "C" is for small patches or quick fixes or even implications of new ideas or coding techniques.

But what do I know eh? On my scheme this MAME would be 1.3.(how ever many quick updates he has done)

Lupin posted on Oct 8 2006 at 10:09 PM said:
to me it goes like this a.b.c "A" meaning nearly complete re hauls. IMHO most home brew doesn't get pas 1.b.c "B" signifying substantial improvements be it speed or graphically. And finally, "C" is for small patches or quick fixes or even implications of new ideas or coding techniques.

But what do I know eh? On my scheme this MAME would be 1.3.(how ever many quick updates he has done)

I have done exactly 21 updates from the first version (25/Dec/2005). Yes, your explanation is consistent, but i didn't thought so much when i started the port, i didn't expect so many updates, then now it has no sense to change the policy. About the quality or the valoration of the updates are always personal opinions... 1.3? Did you try the 1.0? :rolleyes:

craigix posted on Oct 8 2006 at 10:21 PM said:
I'm a fan of just V1 V2 V3... etc. I don't see the point in 1.x stuff. If it's a new version it's a new version.
In PC terms, version 1.0 is usually the first public release, version x.0 denotes a significant update over a previous version, a version -.x denotes a good update, but not a mojor update, -.-x denotes a small bug fix.

Hopefully now the speed of MAME on the GP2x has improved (fantastic work BTW), we might be able to enjoy an increased list of supported ROM sets?

Franxis posted on Oct 8 2006 at 09:38 PM said:
i'm happy with the sound quality of this release. In the oldest games the sound glitches occurs rarely. In the Neo·Geo or CPS-1 can be solved using the 'Accurate' sound option (but with a big hit in performance).

About the mute sound when playing some games or crashes on exit, i don't know the cause... I remember the problem began when the sample support was added but i'm not sure...

The glitches have appeared after the new sound core was intoduced (2.8?) . This was after the samples were added. The sound glitches do happen pretty frequently. I don't use this for Neo-Geo though, GnGeo is much smoother. I use this for the older stuff.

im confused about which games work, are more games supported now... i remember something about the .34 romset..., if its not clearly defined then about what year were the arcade games made that this supports. Sorry if this is a stupid or poorly worded question

Jackd posted on Oct 9 2006 at 07:24 AM said:
im confused about which games work, are more games supported now... i remember something about the .34 romset..., if its not clearly defined then about what year were the arcade games made that this supports. Sorry if this is a stupid or poorly worded question
Actually I am slowly trawling through the complete romset and updating the games on checklist. I have done games starting with A and B so far. it may take me a while, but I will get through the lot. Take a look: CHECKLIST

Edit: C & D done now :)

Franxis posted on Oct 8 2006 at 09:38 PM said:
rooster posted on Oct 8 2006 at 04:23 AM said:
Thanks for the improvements that's great news.

Rodland has been become 'broken' since v2.7 - just thought I'd mention it, is it the new sound stuff?

Edit: I'm pretty sure it is :) i just tried it with 'sound off' and it works.

No it was never playable (with or without sound with none of the executables in any version, it has problems with the interrupts, it was ported from a newer MAME version).

:eek: :eek: :eek:

so it only just works now in v3? cos I'm sure on v2.6 I played it through to the first boss at work, the whale, a few weeks ago, that was not on v2.9 or v3 for sure.

whats going on there? it never worked? I don't get it !

have we got different rom sets or something? is it still not working now officially in v3 is that right?
as I said, mine plays with the sound off in v3... !?

A_SN posted on Oct 8 2006 at 07:47 PM said:
Jarska333 posted on Oct 8 2006 at 04:41 PM said:
A_SN posted on Oct 8 2006 at 12:40 PM said:
3.0? Shouldn't it be more like 2.10?

Naah, It would have been 2.09. One needs to think 2.9 as 2.90. Atleast in some cases. :p

No, that's not how it works. Just look at GNOME (one random example among many), went from 2.9 to 2.10.
This is a mathematically poor way of doing things though.

Hooka posted on Oct 9 2006 at 12:17 AM said:
Vobbo speed coding with goodness all around!!!

Did I miss something or was it meant to be Franxis there?

Oh, btw good work Franxis... you coding genius!

Vobbo made an emulator that got updates almost every other day before he "left." *runs and hides before the disbelivers hunts me down*

I'm not Voboo :p but i inform you about a new incoming MAME GP2X (3.1) with great news. I have been implementing something similar to the method explained here about the efficient upper memory access:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Using_the_upper_32MB_of_memory

The good news: It runs!. Biggest Neo·Geo games (Metal Slug 2, Blazing Star, etc) now run ok!.

The new version will be release this weekend i suppose...

Regards.

Heh. I just stuck v3.0 (*excellent* work!) on last night and here comes a dandy new update already :)

By the way, I don't know if it's just something I'm doing, but does the sound in Wonderboy in Monsterland hang for anyone else, then start up again a bit later?

Excellent this is!

Just wondering... I`ve been messing with the shoulder buttons, moving the screen round and round etc..
I can`t get Pacman or Ms Pacman to fit on the screen... the bottom is missing ( viewable ) wise... like 1942 as well.. you can drop below the screen almost out of site..

any ideas??

Stainy posted on Oct 11 2006 at 06:31 PM said:
Excellent this is!

Just wondering... I`ve been messing with the shoulder buttons, moving the screen round and round etc..
I can`t get Pacman or Ms Pacman to fit on the screen... the bottom is missing ( viewable ) wise... like 1942 as well.. you can drop below the screen almost out of site..

any ideas??

Press L+R to cycle through the different screen scaling options. I'm sure you'll find some of them to your liking... :)

Back