Making Sound Effects - Any Free Methods?

Alex.

Retired
I recently began looking into making my own game sound effects. Nothing fancy, just beep and buzz sort of things. A great free sound tool I found is Audacity, but I wonder if it's of any use for what I'm trying to accomplish here. I don't have any equipment such as keyboards or mixers, just my computer and a cheap microphone.

Any ideas are welcome :)

audacity is good, but limited imho~

zynaddsubfx is an awesome synth http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/
but for sfx i think you'll still have to use a wav editor to get what you want
i'd add jeskola buzz to the list http://www.buzzmachines.com/
because it's still great ;) and you can do anything you want with it

on windows there's no real "good" free alternative to audacity though some freewares might have a more 'wav editor' orientation which would be quite useful since audacity has serious GUI drawbacks <_<

WarmFluffyUK posted on Mar 18 2007 at 01:55 PM said:
If you let me know what you want, I could come up with something...
Thanks a lot fluffy, although I don't have anything specific in mind just yet. Which is why I want to experiment a bit myself. I know you have quite the recording studio though :)

Blah posted on Mar 18 2007 at 05:58 PM said:
You hit the spot Blah. Psycle is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone else who replied, there are some real nice software out there, and some are incredibly interesting, like CSound for example. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey that psycle is pretty cool. I just played a bit with it. Makeing songs is out of the question for me since it's to darn difficult and i'm crap at music anyway. But this is pretty good to create some cool sound effects for errors menu's etc

csound is way over the top for what you're trying to do. i think you should use audacity with some vst softsynths. record whatever notes you think you need, and then edit them like crazy.

Mmmmh, well, I made a program which allows you to turn images (spectrograms) into sounds. You just use Photoshop to design your images. It can be used to make any type of sound. PM me if you're interested.

Back