Making Icons For Gmenu2x

Tag5

Website
Visit site
I'm guessing that this has already been covered in the past and this is probably in the wrong GP2X section. Anyways, as the new Open2x integrated menu system is Gmenu2x which makes the GP2X console look awesome to the original firmware so-called menu. A few games and programs are missing icons, so instead you get a generic picture. I soon got fed up with this and done a little searching round on the web to find free programs that will convert the icons I wanted to use.

The best free program I found (IconsExtract v1.45 by Nir Sofer - www.nirsoft.net) was able to view and extract executable files (*.exe; *.dll; *.ocx; *.cpl) icons and save them as *.ico file format.

Now, I needed to find a program to convert the *.ico to *.png and still keeping the tranparent background. I found an online converter (http://converticon.com/) which does just that for FREE! It can also view and allow you to extract the exact icon you like as some icons have more than one image (i.e. 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, etc) with different colour depths (16 colour, 256 colour, 16-Mbit colour, etc). A quick upload of the icon file and to choose what size and coulor depth you want and it'll create the *.png you wanted.

Sorry for waffling on about it but hope this will be useful for those links that does not have it's own specific icon. :lol:

calculatorp.png
dosbox.png
eliteb.png
jazzv.png
floppy.png
exult.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few more....

paintqhb.png
pdfa.png
touch.png
speakers2.png
speakers.png
70802950.png

And finally the last ones....

73566857.png
notepadl.png
nesy.png
pda.png

Nice work. :) There are some other icon threads around of course, but it's good to have a walkthrough for those who don't have the Photoshop/GIMP knowledge to hack their own together.

Another awesome source of icons is www.icondrawer.com

Back