Making a (probably commercial) game for the Pandora; which one should I go for?

Which game should I make for the Pandora?

• Keep working on ITAD S.G. (scrolling shooter)

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Platformer that allows you to switch between characters at any time

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Side-scrolling shoot-em-up

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Action-puzzle platformer

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

diligentcircle

Website
onpon4.github.io
So I want to develop an indie game for the Pandora and PC and probably distribute it for a fee as free software (that's not a typo, by the way; see: http://al.ly/dKi).

The game I've been working on is ITAD S.G., a scrolling shooter, which I've released an extremely early alpha of here. But considering that the goal of this project is at this point not much more than Kill Everything That Moves with analog control and without having to hold the A button, I'm not sure it would be worth it. So I'll ask everyone here: what game would you most like to see, and while we're at it, what (if anything) would you shell out for such a game (assuming it's a good game)?

So obviously, the first choice for the type of game I could develop is ITAD S.G., perhaps with a different name. This would be a simple scrolling shooter essentially similar KETM, with 2-player and nub support, and automatic shooting so you don't have to tire your thumb. An extremely early alpha with asteroids and a lame enemy can be found here.

The second choice I'm thinking of is a platformer loosely inspired by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES, with a few characters (each having their own life bar) that you can switch between at any time, each having distinct strengths and weaknesses. Victory would be achieved by making the best use of the different characters' abilities for any given situation.

The third choice I'm thinking of is a side-scrolling shoot-em-up, probably using one of the nubs to shoot in a manner similar to Super Geometry Dust. Very simple concept, of course, and sort of similar to Contra, but with better controls.

And finally, the fourth choice I'm considering is some sort of action-puzzle platformer. Puzzles would probably involve a series of switches that have to be flipped to open and close doors to get to the exit. Since I like Lode Runner a lot, some inspiration is bound to come from that game.

So, please vote for which one you would like to see the most out of these. Though I already have an alpha for ITAD S.G., much of the code in it would be re-usable for these other types of games, so don't be shy about what you vote for. :) I'd rather just have to start over again than make a game that no one is interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the prize would depend on the quality, too of course. But I'd like to see something like tmnt for the nes.

Hope there will be a developement blog :)

I pay 40$ when you release a engine who plays rpgmaker2000 /2003/xp

games on the pandora.

that would provide so so many rpggames more on the pandora.

maybe you can finish the opensource projekt easyrpg,make a gui for that

and i want to buy a funktionally version.

with this project can you earn more money as a shooter again.

It is only a tip,because many pandora users waiting a long time for rpgmaker

games on the pandora.

Greetings from germany

Ingo reis

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the price would depend on the quality of the game but if it's decent id buy it.Will you be working alone or will you get someone here on the forum to help with it.I guess it might take a long time to make it if you were working on your own.I wonder sometimes if devs here on the forums joined together on projects more often then more could be done and projects could achieve a higher standard.Hopefully the planned forum updates eg proper developers section etc will be available soon.It would be useful for people to be able to be completely aware that you were making the game and might translate into better sales.

I'd love to see a puzzle platformer, I have in mind a 2D portal but that's just a picture in my head, depending on the quality and polish that would ultimately determine how much I'd be willing to pay.

Although seeing as MeAndMyShadow just got ported it might be an idea to do the Contra style game, as scrolling shooters seem to be quite abundant at the moment.

I would pay more for the platformer than for any other game because of different characters :D .

Will you be working alone or will you get someone here on the forum to help with it.

I'm doing all the programming myself, but for the graphics and music, my current intention is to get what I can from what OpenGameArt has and commission some people for the rest. I'm not working with any other specific people at the moment.

oting result could be a bit skewed since people might be like 'omg something like TMNT?!! I love TMNT!!'

Hm... that's a good point. I'll get rid of the "a la TMNT" part in the voting option to avoid that.

As a fan of Contra 3/Super Probotector I am absolutely for a homebrew reincarnation. I see that there has a lot of work gone into Contra 3, it would be hard to get close to the original in terms of perfect playabilty, game speed, level and character (enemy) design and the awesome soundtrack.

I'd love to see a puzzle platformer, I have in mind a 2D portal but that's just a picture in my head, depending on the quality and polish that would ultimately determine how much I'd be willing to pay.

Although seeing as MeAndMyShadow just got ported it might be an idea to do the Contra style game, as scrolling shooters seem to be quite abundant at the moment.

Not on Pandora, but there is a Flash version of Portal in 2D. Could serve as some inspiration or something:

http://portal.wecreatestuff.com/

That's what I had in mind, precisely that :) puzzle platformers are my definitely my thing, abes oddysey is another great puzzle game.

The more polish the more it'll be worth, sharp controls, the animation and I say graphics but loosely, going for an 8 bit or 16 bit would also be cool but now I'm rambling.

I love Midnight Resistance, so a side-scrolling sm'up would be ace with using the right nub for shooting :)

Back