Lxde

1. The browser doesn't matter because I used wget and they were still there when I opened the file.

2. Why would it insert breaks like that? Seems silly.

paulguy said:
1. The browser doesn't matter because I used wget and they were still there when I opened the file.

2. Why would it insert breaks like that? Seems silly.

I don't know. Is it just my posts that have the squares?

Last edited by a moderator:
KodeIn said:
It seems to be an html character code to tell the browser that he must not truncate the word (zero width space).
It may be a glitch in your browser or maybe with a font because it should not show anything.

ZWSP, U+200B, character reference in HTML: &#8203
It was a character inserted when the post was written, certainly by the post editor which automatically hyphenated a word.
But since the editor dimensions aren't the same as the forum's post size, at save time, it replaced the hyphenation character code (#&shy or something) with a ZWSP.

KodeIn said:
KodeIn said:
It seems to be an html character code to tell the browser that he must not truncate the word (zero width space).
It may be a glitch in your browser or maybe with a font because it should not show anything.

ZWSP, U+200B, character reference in HTML: &#8203
It was a character inserted when the post was written, certainly by the post editor which automatically hyphenated a word.
But since the editor dimensions aren't the same as the forum's post size, at save time, it replaced the hyphenation character code (#&shy or something) with a ZWSP.

What? I didn't type that character, no. So maybe Chromium inserted it in there.

I may not have been clear enough, sorry about that.

I was saying the forum itself added that character, that's what I meant by post editor ;)

KodeIn said:
I may not have been clear enough, sorry about that.

I was saying the forum itself added that character, that's what I meant by post editor ;)

I wasn't sure, thanks. :)

God Ginrai said:
Vorporeal said:
linuxftw said:
Elanzer said:
For someone that with the username "linuxftw" it seems you've never used linux before
Meh I know my way around Ubuntu just fine.

That doesn't count. ;)

Seriously, That's like saying "I'm good at baseball" because you played T-ball and could hit the ball off the tee. Or "I'm good at Golf" because you do well in Putt-Putt.

-God Ginrai
I didn't mean to show off or anything but I do know linux well enough and computers more than most people I know a lot them don't even know there way around very basic utilities like a file browser or how to send email most people I know are really retarded at using computers also used to use Windows and I used to love it now use Ubuntu best os version of Linux in My opinion don't mean to start Linux flame war.

God Ginrai said:
Vorporeal said:
linuxftw said:
Elanzer said:
For someone that with the username "linuxftw" it seems you've never used linux before
That doesn't count. ;)
Seriously, That's like saying "I'm good at baseball" because you played T-ball and could hit the ball off the tee. Or "I'm good at Golf" because you do well in Putt-Putt.
No, it's like saying "I know my way around T-ball and Putt-Putt". He didn't say he was good.

lulzfish said:
God Ginrai said:
Vorporeal said:
linuxftw said:
Elanzer said:
That doesn't count. ;)
No, it's like saying "I know my way around T-ball and Putt-Putt". He didn't say he was good.

You're right, I should revise my statement: It's like saying "I know my way around Putt-Putt" when someone says you don't seem like you've played Golf before.

-God Ginrai

Now let's not start a distro war. Just because linuxftw likes Ubuntu doesn't necessarily make it BAD.

Granted, it did give me a moment's pause for thought... Was everything I'd ever known a LIE?!

Seriously guys, a young person excited by Linux comes in and your response is "pfft n00b, Ubuntu isn't real Linux".
No wonder people call these forums hostile. :rolleyes:

linuxftw said:
I didn't mean to show off or anything but I do know linux well enough and computers more than most people I know a lot them don't even know there way around very basic utilities like a file browser or how to send email most people I know are really retarded at using computers also used to use Windows and I used to love it now use Ubuntu best os version of Linux in My opinion don't mean to start Linux flame war.
Don't mind them, there's just a significantly higher average of computer competency here.
No one's going to be impressed by installing a different OS. ;)

However, if you get interested in Linux you'll probably learn a hell of a lot more about computers than an intelligent Windows user will.
Keep at it, and in a few years you'll be able to ridicule excited teenagers with the rest of us! :p

BTW, while there are some impressively stupid people out there, the majority of users just don't have time to learn.
It's not really fair to call them "retarded".

Aninhumer said:
Seriously guys, a young person excited by Linux comes in and your response is "pfft n00b, Ubuntu isn't real Linux".
No wonder people call these forums hostile. :rolleyes:

It's not about considering Ubuntu as a real Linux or not. It's about the fact that Ubuntu hides most everything a normal Linux user has to do from the user and throws Windows-like GUIs at them every chance it gets. That means that when you say you use Ubuntu, it doesn't guarantee you really have any real Linux experience, because if you didn't dig deeper, you won't.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
It's not about considering Ubuntu as a real Linux or not. It's about the fact that Ubuntu hides most everything a normal Linux user has to do from the user and throws Windows-like GUIs at them every chance it gets. That means that when you say you use Ubuntu, it doesn't guarantee you really have any real Linux experience, because if you didn't dig deeper, you won't.
My point is that this was a pretty aggressive statement:

God Ginrai said:
Perhaps you only meant to complain about Ubuntu, but it comes off as an attack on linuxftw.

I'm using Linux Mint, which is even more noobish you could say. I know my way around the command terminal, but somtimes I like an OS to be a no-fuss gui affair.

Linux Mint 9 is really great, just thought I'd mention that. It's much faster and less buggy than any Ubuntu/Ubuntu-based derivative I've used in the last three years.

You can trash Linux Mint for all the usual reasons, calling it slow, dumb and bloated... but this hasn't been my experience. I'm enjoying my time here, why you wanna trip on me?!

Back