Lxde

kingoddball said:
Kicker said:
kingoddball said:
What does "FTW" mean? (I'm not big on the internet terminologies)

It means "I am the big internet fan."

Those sorts of tribalistic verbal tics always make me sad.

I agree! [thumbs up image]

I actually disagree. When used in moderation, net terms can be just fine. What makes me sad is when people overuse or abuse the terms. (Like that one cell phone commercial: "idk my bff jane")

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
These tribal terms will be around longer than you think. In a hundred years, people will be saying 'epic fail' and not even know the origins of it. Half the expressions in the human language have a similar story... just now these things can spread more quickly. Cliquey nonsense has always been around!

Brand stuff becomes woven into language too. Like, 'he hoovered up all his food' is something you might hear and not relate it to a vacuum cleaner.

I can imagine 'Googling' being a general term for information searching in the same way.

SomeGuy99 said:
Like, 'he hoovered up all his food' is something you might hear
Must be a British thing, I've never ever heard of Hoovering food.
Yesterday I said something about Tupperwarer and then realized I didn't know the actual word... container, maybe?
"I need a plastic box to keep this food in"

lulzfish said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Like, 'he hoovered up all his food' is something you might hear
Must be a British thing, I've never ever heard of Hoovering food.
Yesterday I said something about Tupperwarer and then realized I didn't know the actual word... container, maybe?
"I need a plastic box to keep this food in"

Yeah, a lot of these expressions are national or regional. If you think about it, that makes sense. How often did the average person converse internationally for the last 1000 years?

But now we have the internet, and clique-speak spreads fast.

SomeGuy99 said:
In a hundred years, people will be saying 'epic fail' and not even know the origins of it.

Really, I'd prefer that. I just don't like in-group signalling. It's mildly irrational of me, but reference- and jargon-driven "Oh, I recognize that thing that you said" reactions seem like the lowest form of humor and sociability, or a calorie free substitute for it. I Can't Believe It's Not Conversation.

[quote name=']How often did the average person converse internationally for the last 1000 years?[/quote]

The average person, in fact, didn't.

Kicker said:
SomeGuy99 said:
In a hundred years, people will be saying 'epic fail' and not even know the origins of it.

Really, I'd prefer that. I just don't like in-group signalling. It's mildly irrational of me, but reference- and jargon-driven "Oh, I recognize that thing that you said" reactions seem like the lowest form of humor and sociability, or a calorie free substitute for it. I Can't Believe It's Not Conversation.

That's like calling German or Spanish "in-group signalling". It is only "in-group signalling" when used around people who don't understand it purposefully so that they won't know what you are saying. (Like what happens often in the US with Hispanic workers)

Kicker said:
[quote name=']How often did the average person converse internationally for the last 1000 years?

[/quote]

I think that's his point.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
It is only "in-group signalling" when used around people who don't understand it purposefully so that they won't know what you are saying. (Like what happens often in the US with Hispanic workers)

That is the sentiment that bothers me, yeah.

Sometimes folks underline their English usage (or appreciation of freedom, or knowledge of how this used to be a nice neighborhood, or whatever else) even when there are no Hispanic folks around to hear them, as if to say "We understand one another, but if any of those other jerks were here, they wouldn't get it, because we're better than them." The same can happen

Like I said, people just talking to communicate is fine. And everybody's language is jargon to somebody. And it's not a rational judgment so I try not to carry it too far. And...no, I think I've run out of qualifiers. :D

Kicker said:
God Ginrai said:
It is only "in-group signalling" when used around people who don't understand it purposefully so that they won't know what you are saying. (Like what happens often in the US with Hispanic workers)

That is the sentiment that bothers me, yeah.

Sometimes folks underline their English usage (or appreciation of freedom, or knowledge of how this used to be a nice neighborhood, or whatever else) even when there are no Hispanic folks around to hear them, as if to say "We understand one another, but if any of those other jerks were here, they wouldn't get it, because we're better than them." The same can happen

Like I said, people just talking to communicate is fine. And everybody's language is jargon to somebody. And it's not a rational judgment so I try not to carry it too far. And...no, I think I've run out of qualifiers. :D

I don't think I've ever seen someone use the term "fail" or "WTF" or even "LOL" with the idea that they won't be understood by "those other jerks". I think you are a little paranoid in that respect, or you live near a bunch of jackasses.

-God Ginrai

SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:
SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Rhetorical question fail. LMFAO.

Quote fail.

SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:
Kicker said:

-God Ginrai

Fixed.

-God Ginrai

I'm not playing. It's tempting, but.... hmmm, no. ;)

My point is that you attributed something Kicker said to me because you were messing with the quotes.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
My point is that you attributed something Kicker said to me because you were messing with the quotes.
-God Ginrai

Nah, I just broke the quote tags by accident. It was obvious you said it because of your signature mind you.

:)

No, I see what I did. Whoops.

God Ginrai said:

Which is not someone that anyone deserves. :lol:

Yeah, sorry for my denseness kicking off all this confusion.

Kicker said:
God Ginrai said:

I didn't mean it that way. I just don't like people putting words in my mouth.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Kicker said:
God Ginrai said:

I didn't mean it that way. I just don't like people putting their throbbing member in my mouth.

-God Ginrai

Hmmm, yes. You make several interesting points here. A lot to think about. B)

God Ginrai said:
I don't think I've ever seen someone use the term "fail" or "WTF" or even "LOL" with the idea that they won't be understood by "those other jerks". I think you are a little paranoid in that respect, or you live near a bunch of jackasses.
I'm with you on that one. That jerk just doesn't understand. B) :D

I think he was referring more to the community meme stuff. I've noticed a lot of people will get really insulting if you don't understand something they say because it's something specific to that group. This place has been pretty good about it, though; we even have a glossary for it, now.

Also, what the hell is with the expr[box]ession I keep seeing all over the place? Is someone using accent marks in some really gay encoding (everything not unicode) or what? I've seen it twice in this thread and in a few other threads. Is it some kind of meme?

Back