Lumbering Pandora?

DaveC said:
I will take my "lumbering Pandora" with a *REAL D_PAD* plus 2 analog nubs over the caanooo with just an analog thank you.
Can I take it, too?

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy said:
Wookiee said:
Engadget need to expand on that comment a little more.
It's pretty clear : "Here is a device that will be available next month, that will make it strong competition for this other much-delayed device that will still not be generally available at that time."

'Lumbering' in the sense that it is slow to get here.

We know the Pandora isn't cutting edge...but has that journalist actually used one?
That may be their point.

I expect that they are referring to the time OP is taking to design and manufacture the Pandora. They could also be taking a pop that the Pandora is 'lumbering' because they feel it is out dated technology. I just felt their statement is ambiguous.

I'm still waiting for my Pandora, but I've still managed to have a go on one! I know I'm going to have issues with the minimenu... I can't see the highlighting for the selected item. While I know that my colour vision is not perfect its not been a problem until now. The good news is that it will be possible to change the menu highlighting somehow.

ahh time to get back on topic

Doesn't "lumbering" allude to a certain heaviness or unstoppability of motion, too? Like a Discworld troll. Or those waking trees in that movie. Or most endbosses.

Does it also infer clumsiness? I would agree there.

kuru said:
Doesn't "lumbering" allude to a certain heaviness or unstoppability of motion, too? Like a Discworld troll. Or those waking trees in that movie. Or most endbosses.

Does it also infer clumsiness? I would agree there.

Yes it could mean that too. The word has been used in an ambiguous way. It may be simpler just to say that the Engadget journalist is saying that the Pandora is rubbish and you can have a this other device now.

The walking trees wasn't that 'The two towers' part of the Lord of the Rings ?

Lumbergh
Bill+Lumbergh.jpg

mali said:
Lumbering=schwerfällig?
Lumbering also translates to "klobig" in German. Meaning "chunky".

I think they mean the design of the Pandora's case and that it feels like a brick while holding it whereas the GP2X Canoo feels more ergonomic in the hands.

That may be true, but the Pandora still is ergonomic enough, way more powerful and has dpad and keyboard.

john4p said:
mali said:
Lumbering=schwerfällig?
Lumbering also translates to "klobig" in German. Meaning "chunky".

I think they mean the design of the Pandora's case and that it feels like a brick while holding it whereas the GP2X Canoo feels more ergonomic in the hands.

That may be true, but the Pandora still is ergonomic enough, way more powerful and has dpad and keyboard.
That's a stretch. It's pretty obvious to me that they are referring to the Pandora's manufacturing being slow to get units out. And I can't exactly say that they're wrong in seeing it that way.

sbt said:
Did you see her eyes light up when Tony told her there was a vibrator built in? :blink:
Arg, please tell me she's not doing these interviews as a profession... her reactions annoy the hell out of me :eek:

I think they're completely accurate in using lumbering, its been super slow to get out and the devastating wait continues even through the shipping

devhace said:
I think they're completely accurate in using lumbering, its been super slow to get out and the devastating wait continues even through the shipping

The survivors of judgement day only lived to face a new nightmare: the war against the machines.

SomeGuy99 said:
devhace said:

The survivors of judgement day only lived to face a new nightmare: the war against the machines.

Damn, that was apt.

SomeGuy99 said:
war against the machines
All i thought of was this: (I tried to dig up a youtube video for embedding, but no luck)
http://assembly.mbnet.fi/asm07/music/freestyle/war_against_the_machines_by_paavo_tarantula_harkonen.mp3 :p /OT

Back