Usb Micro Hdd

TitanUranus

I've just been looking at this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0015XODB8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0C06TVC3D0HHGWBKZ8TE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128293&pf_rd_i=468294

and thinking of the advantage of the speed this could add if you could boot your own OS from it. Obviously there's a large number of uses where such a small HDD would be advantageous, instead of the lumbering speeds of an SDHC.

Of course another question woul need answering, would the Pandora's battery provide enough juice to run this little bugger, and if it could, how much impact would it have on the life of the battery?

You're not going to get much of a performance boost (if any) from something like this over SDHC. Bus saturation would occur just as quickly, and you'd be gaining latency from seek time. SD is only slow on the write, so unless you're planning on writing to the drive constantly, nothing really to gain here.

The Pandora's USB port certainly could spool this drive up. I can spool up my 1.8" USB HDD no problem, but it cuts my battery life by 50% or more. Ideally you would just store some large data on a drive like this, and quickly copy it to an SD card when on the move. Or only use it when connected to mains.

Cheers mindlord, you've answered a number of my questions (that I had in my head). I'm considering a small external USB drive for "mass data storage" so maybe I'd be best getting one of those 1.8" drives, there's a toshiba one that's 250gb - that'd do nicely! Of course they are a LOT more expensive than the 2.5" ones, has anyone had any success with running one of them off the pandora's battery? I'd get a 650gb 2.5" for sure if I knew I'd be able to just pop it onto the Pandora during a train journey and copy several files from it to SDHC. I'm needing some storage space anyway for music and video as all my external drives are getting a bit full up now, so if the 2.5" drives can be powered for short spells by Pandora that'd kill 2 birds with one stone and save me a fair bit of money.

If you can confirm that the power draw on the 2.5" drive is 500mAh or less, then it'll work fine. The majority use 700mAh, but some are more efficient. On the desktop market, Samsung drives are generally pretty power efficient, so it might be wise to check out some Samsung portable drives.

Back