Lumbering Pandora?

Grench

Forum Addict!
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/gameparks-gp2x-caanoo-handheld-hits-this-august-picks-up-where/

Lumbering?

Engadget need to expand on that comment a little more. We know the Pandora isn't cutting edge...but has that journalist actually used one?

Engadget constantly knocks devices that don't have anything wrong with them, but I guess aren't "cool" (read:apple) enough for them. I really don't know why I still read them... :\

Oh geez, and they still mention that the Caanoo is a competition of the Pandora...
The Caanoo is meant to get some nice good classic commercial games with the possibility to emulate other classics... and the specs are fine for what it should be used for.
But specwise, the Caanoo is one generation behind the Pandora.

Also, I sell the Caanoo... would I make myself competition?

They should learn that both devices are nice for what they are meant to be used, but definately no competition to each other.

MooTheKow said:
Grench said:
Lumbering?
I think they're referring to the fact that production is slow as molasses and has been delayed and delayed and delayed and then delayed some more. Pretty hard to argue with that.
That's how I understood it when I read the sentence.
'Lumbering' can also mean cumbersome though, which it is when compared to the Caanoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lumbering could also refer to poor hardware/software performance.

So that's three possible meanings. Don't mind them saying something bad about the Pandora IF there were a solid argument to support the statement.

(obviously I'd rather they supported OP)

I wouldn't read into it too much. Sites like that one often seem to be designed to advertise and appeal to youngsters - they're probably just trying to sound "cool". :p

that's weird, Engadget has been supporters of Pandora for the most part in the past.

I know its only one word but it is kinda harsh and uncalled for imo. Could be worse though, just look at the hate that gizmodo spreads. I guess it wouldn't be a news report if it didn't have something negative in it. It's funny how people seem to be more entertained by negativity than by just the reporting of facts. Everything has to have a negative spin to it or be propped up by cutting something or someone else down. I've really grown a strong hatred for the press over the years. /rant

quote said:
MooTheKow said:
Grench said:
Lumbering?
I think they're referring to the fact that production is slow as molasses and has been delayed and delayed and delayed and then delayed some more. Pretty hard to argue with that.
That's how I understood it when I read the sentence.
'Lumbering' can also mean cumbersome though, which it is when compared to the Caanoo.
I read it as exactly the same way and it never even crossed my mind that they might have meant hardware wise; I mean why would it when the new GPH console is way still below the Pandora specks?

people really need to get a clue and stop spreading paranoid gossip on this forum :angry:

EDIT: Thought I'd better add that last part before someone got carried away ;)

Sorry for the offtopicness, Engadget mentions a dedicated 3d accelerator. Aside from the fact it won't do good for the battery, What 3d accelerator are they talking about?

Blue Ion said:
Sorry for the offtopicness, Engadget mentions a dedicated 3d accelerator. Aside from the fact it won't do good for the battery, What 3d accelerator are they talking about?

This would be Engadget not getting their facts straight for the umpteenth time. Probably saw 3D, didn't realize Wiz had it, and thought it was added. If they had any technical sense they'd realize just how impractical adding an externally packaged 3D accelerator to an off the shelf SoC would be. That is, if you can even find one anymore.

MonkeyChops said:
Everything has to have a negative spin to it or be propped up by cutting something or someone else down. I've really grown a strong hatred for the press over the years. /rant
Your irony, it is delicious.

EvilDragon said:
They should learn that both devices are nice for what they are meant to be used, but definately no competition to each other.

If you're looking for a handheld game console that supports a lot of emulators, they're both viable options. If you have limited money, you'll likely be only able or willing to by one or the other, but not both. Sounds like competition to me.

emcee said:
EvilDragon said:

If you're looking for a handheld game console that supports a lot of emulators, they're both viable options. If you have limited money, you'll likely be only able or willing to by one or the other, but not both. Sounds like competition to me.

By that logic ... if I want a pmp then they in competition with every device out there now a days. If you want just an emulation machine then the competition is endless (dingoo, psp, gp2x, iphone, etc.). Pandora is its own league because it offers a unique SET of features you cannot get anywhere. If you could then I would have it and not be getting a pandora with all the features I have been waiting to come together.

OK yes there will be competition for for people that want it for certain things, but not for the people that designed it because nothing out there satisfied. I mean a good majority of this community because we helped tell them what we wanted in the device.

Wookiee said:
Engadget need to expand on that comment a little more.
It's pretty clear : "Here is a device that will be available next month, that will make it strong competition for this other much-delayed device that will still not be generally available at that time."

'Lumbering' in the sense that it is slow to get here.

We know the Pandora isn't cutting edge...but has that journalist actually used one?
That may be their point.

I was really hoping someone made a mockup of a Pandora in denim and plaid.

And I don't feel like discussing competition again.

I will take my "lumbering Pandora" with a *REAL D_PAD* plus 2 analog nubs over the caanooo with just an analog thank you.

Back