Looking For Port Covers

pootle

Still Fresh
I'm looking for somewhere that can supply covers for the various ports on the Pandora.

The main USB socket should just be a Maplin trip away but I'm having problems finding a supplier for the power, USB OTG and headphone sockets.

I know they aren't really needed but I've replaced my PDA with the Pandora and I liked having all the ports covered. Sadly I can't reuse my old ones as none of them fit. Damn you 2.5mm headphone sockets and non-standard connections!

I looked into this a bit. Most port covers protrude. And good luck finding one for the video/audio cable head beast.

What we need is a soft rubber (rubber charity bracelet type material) or soft plastic strip with all of the ports molded into it as male versions. I figure if I'm using one port it won't hurt to have them all open. By having them all on one strip it would prevent loosing the little bits. It would not have to protrude out more than 1-2 mm because it would be all on a single tab/strip. The idea would be to hold it in place by friction on the port's walls.

So, does anyone have a low budget plastics mold process handy?

Grench said:
I looked into this a bit. Most port covers protrude. And good luck finding one for the video/audio cable head beast.

What we need is a soft rubber (rubber charity bracelet type material) or soft plastic strip with all of the ports molded into it as male versions. I figure if I'm using one port it won't hurt to have them all open. By having them all on one strip it would prevent loosing the little bits. It would not have to protrude out more than 1-2 mm because it would be all on a single tab/strip. The idea would be to hold it in place by friction on the port's walls.

So, does anyone have a low budget plastics mold process handy?

vacuum forming possibly
or polymorph
buy the spare female ports though

wouldnt want to be sticking any of those in the actual pandora
and for the EXT connector, either buy one

or simply make it flat over that port and use the other ones to secure it
or wait for the tv out cable, make a female mould from that, then a male mould

you can grab polymorph from maplins for £5
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97325&C=Froogle&U=97325&T=Module

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there would have to be kits available for the PSP and the ports would be the same size but have had no luck at all. :(

Or a black rubber band about ((83mm + 140mm) * 2) long. Maybe a bit less to its secure. It should cover all the port + SD slots + volume wheel + power switch. Maybe make holes for the power switch/SD/volume or whatever you don't want covered. We can call it "Pandora's belt". :lol:

Yoyobuae said:
We can call it "Pandora's belt".
Insert obvious "call it a bumper and charge 25 quid for it" joke here. :)

Thanks for all the ideas, I will keep looking and if I find anything will report back.

Seriously - now that production is figured out on the case molds and boards and all...

Maybe OPL can do something like this for us and sell it in their stores?

It could probably ship in an envelope. If it's foam/rubber and gets mushed - so?

Cupcake and reprap machines typically use fairly hard plastics, seems like this would be better off with soft rubber.

VRAndy said:
Cupcake and reprap machines typically use fairly hard plastics, seems like this would be better off with soft rubber.
Well, the actual cords that go into those ports are hard so it would be the same. I know I've seen port plugs that are shaped the same way as the male end of the cord made out of hard plastic before.

torpor said:
You can put soft rubber in a reprap ..
Huh, I had no idea you could use soft material in a reprap.

I had a shopping trip today but it was a total bust. I tried maplin, hmv, game, WH Smith and phone shops. No luck. :angry:

Back