Cave Story Port?

MiOdd

Website
Visit site
http://www.gp2xwiz.com/ has Cave Story listed on their site but the download link is broken...

So I'm just wondering, does a Cave Story port even exist for the Wiz yet?

I don't see it on the 'Wiz File Archive' so I'm guessing it hasn't been ported yet, but if it has, can someone direct me as to where I may find it?

MiOdd posted on May 21 2009 at 04:01 PM said:
http://www.gp2xwiz.com/ has Cave Story listed on their site but the download link is broken...

So I'm just wondering, does a Cave Story port even exist for the Wiz yet?

I don't see it on the 'Wiz File Archive' so I'm guessing it hasn't been ported yet, but if it has, can someone direct me as to where I may find it?
It hasnt been ported, but I think only the person who did it for the gp2x has the source. The original author is very controlling of the original source code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Cave Story due for a commercial release on the Wii? I wonder how that will impact future free ports of the original.

It feels perfect on the GP2X, it's like it was made for it.

Alex. posted on May 25 2009 at 01:24 PM said:
Isn't Cave Story due for a commercial release on the Wii? I wonder how that will impact future free ports of the original.

It feels perfect on the GP2X, it's like it was made for it.
ive heard that too that it might go commercial, pretty sad.

First of all, Cave Story is definitely going commercial, it is being published on WiiWare.
Secondly, it should be possible to use the GP2X version on the Wiz. Maybe you have to extract the cramfs data, though, I don't think the supplied cramfs.o and zlib_inflate.o match the Wiz's kernel version.

If you look at the beginning of the doukutsu.gpe I made:
CODE
#!/bin/sh

modprobe zlib_inflate.o
modprobe cramfs.o
mkdir -p data
mount -t cramfs -o loop data.cramfs data

./doukutsu

You could get the same result by just extracting data.cramfs into a directory named "data" and starting the ./doukutsu binary right away. May be worth a try.

Simon Parzer posted on May 26 2009 at 12:51 PM said:
Secondly, it should be possible to use the GP2X version on the Wiz.
There is no way this is going to work, you have it statically linked (like everyone else on GP2X) and you have used the blitter hardware, haven't you? Wiz has different SoC and no blitter AFAIK.

About it going commercial, does it really mean the end of free ports for future devices? I mean anyone can play the free version on older devices, I see no reason not allowing any more ports. Do you have any plans for Wiz version?

There is no way this is going to work, you have it statically linked (like everyone else on GP2X) and you have used the blitter hardware, haven't you? Wiz has different SoC and no blitter AFAIK.

Ok. So a recompile would be necessary. I guess there is a toolchain and SDL library for the Wiz platform?
About it going commercial, does it really mean the end of free ports for future devices?

Yeah.. upcoming ports for Nintendo DS and PS3 were shut down. This is understandable, because they were a direct threat to WiiWare sales. The same could apply to a Wiz port.

Simon Parzer posted on May 27 2009 at 12:13 PM said:
Ok. So a recompile would be necessary. I guess there is a toolchain and SDL library for the Wiz platform?
There is no complete SDK at the moment, but compiling using GP2X toolchains with dynamic linking works (unless you use SDL_GP2X_* calls or access hardware directly).

Simon Parzer said:
QUOTE </div>
QUOTE </div>
About it going commercial, does it really mean the end of free ports for future devices?
Yeah.. upcoming ports for Nintendo DS and PS3 were shut down. This is understandable, because they were a direct threat to WiiWare sales. The same could apply to a Wiz port.

Hi Simon, have you tried to compile the GP2X version dinamically like Notaz suggested you? Maybe it could work in the Wiz.I enjoyed a lot your port to Gp2X, but Wiz screen makes me want to play it again :)

Thank you for your port to GP2X :)

Back