Looking For A Program Which Allows Me To Create Levels Using Tiles.

NoidZ

Mind the world, need for panic
Website
Visit site
Ok here's my problem:

I'm busy with creating maps for a gp2x game, but I want to use tiles in it...

I tried with Game Maker, but everytime I enable transparancy black lines appear and the image is useless and if I try to run the game "an unexpecting error occurs" <_<

So I need another program. Does anyone know another program which allows me to make an entire level using tiles??? (and then export the created map to .bmp)

Thanks!

-noidz-

mmz, it says the to much tiles... Well the tilefile I'm using is 256x18176 full of 32x32 tiles :lol: Does anyone know how to do this fast? (otherwise it would take for about 4 hours orso...)

EDIT: Got it fixed with my brains and the windows calculator :)

NoidZ posted on May 7 2006 at 12:05 PM said:
So I need another program. Does anyone know another program which allows me to make an entire level using tiles??? (and then export the created map to .bmp)

Doesn't exporting the map to a bitmap kind of defeat the purpose of using tiles in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends how the tiles are accessed. You can export the tiles as one bmp, and load it in when a map loads.
You then subselect tiles from the one image.

This can be more efficient if most of the tiles are related to the current map in the game, as only one file read is needed.

PokeParadox posted on May 7 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
It depends how the tiles are accessed. You can export the tiles as one bmp, and load it in when a map loads.
You then subselect tiles from the one image.

This can be more efficient if most of the tiles are related to the current map in the game, as only one file read is needed.

Oh, I understand that. That is the typical way of doing things. To me, it sounded like NoidZ wants to create a map using tiles, and export the whole created map as a bitmap. Like if he made a map that was say 64x64 tiles and each tile was 16x16 pixels, the exported bitmap would be 1024x1024 pixels. That's how I interpreted his post and was just wondering why he would want to do this, as it would be quite inefficient. But maybe I just misunderstood what he was saying. :p

pvanukoff posted on May 7 2006 at 11:04 PM said:
NoidZ posted on May 7 2006 at 12:05 PM said:

Doesn't exporting the map to a bitmap kind of defeat the purpose of using tiles in the first place?

Not for what I'm working on. This game uses full images as maps + a invisible collision map. But by using tiles, creating the maps goes so much faster, and the tiles I'm using look very good I must say, so I want to use them in the game.

Back