Looking Glass

beanfarmer

Website
Visit site
with 500mb ram and a 256mb gfx card just so you can do the whole flip 3d bollaks well sun microsystems have looking glass for all you linux/solaris (spelling?) fans it needs and i quote

component Windows Platform
Operating System Project Looking Glass has been tested on Windows 2000 and Windows XP
CPU 1.4 GHz or faster recommended
RAM 512MB recommended
Graphics Card 3D accelerated graphics card, with at least 16MB VRAM and driver support for OpenGL, version 1.2 or greater.
16bit or 32bit color.

Tested cards:

* ATI MOBILITY RADEON
* ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
* NVIDIA GeForce4/6600/6800
* Intel 855GM/915G

If you are successful in getting Project Looking Glass to run on other cards, or want to report problems with specific cards, please let us know using the discussion forum
Disk Space 250MB

and

Component Requirement
Operating System Linux on x86: Most modern linux distributions should work, although there have been problems experienced when running it on a portage-based java-install. We suggest following this guide for installing all components listed manually instead of using portage.

Solaris on amd64: Looking Glass is now supported on Solaris x86 S10_b74 (or later).
CPU 2 GHz or faster recommended
RAM 512MB
Graphics Card*
Linux x86: A 3D accelerated graphics card with driver support for OpenGL, version 1.2 or greater.
For Nvidia devices you must use at least the following driver version: 1.0-6629. Refer to here for important information on how to configure Nvidia cards for LG3D.

NOTE: It is especially important to consult these instructions if you have recently upgraded your driver to 1.0-6629, because LG3D requires additional configuration steps for 1.0-6629.

Solaris x86: At the time of this writing, the only type of graphics cards supported on Solaris x86 are certain Nvidia cards (see below). The Nvidia driver for Solaris x86 (1.0-7667) can be downloaded from here.
Refer to here for more information.

Currently only the following Nvidia graphics devices are supported by the Solaris x86 driver.

Quadro FX 4000
Quadro FX 3000
Quadro FX 1100
Quadro FX 500
NVS 280

IMPORTANT! 24bit display depth is required for all platforms and all devices! See the instructions below for how to configure this.

IMPORTANT! Some graphics cards require special configuration in order to run Project Looking Glass. For device driver configuration instructions for specific cards refer to: Installing and Configuring Device Drivers for 3D Desktop Project Looking Glass

If you are successful in getting Project Looking Glass to run on other cards, or want to report problems with specific cards, please let us know using the discussion forum
Disk Space 350MB

for linux

thats a lot less over all than vista plus your not just restricted to one platform
looking glass is looking good till will never be as popular as windows vista (or backdoor lost) but its awsome if you want a 3d desktop envirement on a slower system :D

thanks beanframer

all infomation was found on http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/
and its links

spray posted on Feb 4 2006 at 09:39 AM said:
sorry, i don't understand cretin, could you possibly have another go at posting the above info, but in a language that is understandable.

thanks beanfarmer
I think he is pointing out how you can get a 3d loading looking glass with much less requirements on linux than on the new Windows Vista, when it comes out

Last edited by a moderator:
DemonStar55 posted on Feb 4 2006 at 08:12 PM said:
sorry, i don't understand cretin, could you possibly have another go at posting the above info, but in a language that is understandable.

thanks beanfarmer
I think he is pointing out how you can get a 3d loading looking glass with much less requirements on linux than on the new Windows Vista, when it comes out
What? He's pointing out the great invention of the mirror?

Goity posted on Feb 4 2006 at 03:18 PM said:
DemonStar55 posted on Feb 4 2006 at 08:12 PM said:

thanks beanfarmer
What? He's pointing out the great invention of the mirror?
no, you know when something is load it shows a like time glass thing that's two triangles touching at the point?

In Case anyone's interested there is Project looking glass live cd here.

Lg3d Live

it's a nice tech demo but not much more than that, to be honest I was a quite underwhelmed when I tried it a while ago, still it does hint at interesting things in the future.

Slightly better than that is Enlightenment, which offers a lot of the 3d goodies of Vista but without needing it's own nuclear reactor to power it!

Enlightenment.org

And an Enlightenment livecd

Elivecd

Apropos of nothing! :ph34r:

Back