London Bombings: The Second Wave

LHC posted on Jul 24 2005 at 08:13 PM said:
spray posted on Jul 24 2005 at 02:19 PM said:
as i stated as soon as the story about the shooting hit the news, running from the police was akin to authorising your own death. why didn't he just listen to the police?
He was a Brazilian, who maybe didn't understand English, up against plain-clothed police officers. If a bunch of 4 or 5 random men in jeans starting shouting at me in a foreign language, I'd run.

he'd been living in London for 3 years and was working as an electrcian, nature of his job would imply he had some a reasonable grasp of the english language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I just found that out, but it doesn't mean that he shouldn't have run from a group of men that could have easily have been random thugs.

If they wanted them to believe he was a cop, maybe they should have been in uniform.

As an aside, it seems like cold-blooded murder to me. If they believed he was carrying a bomb, and were following him (this is undisputed), why didn't they confront him before he entered the station? Were they thinking this was like a drugs bust where you have to wait until the last minute to see the dealer in the process of selling his stash? And given that he wasnt actually carrying anything (apparently), what precise reason did they have to believe he was, other than that they found his address in the possessions of a bomber? Were there any reasons whatsoever to believe this person had links to terrorism?

I'd hope more facts will come out later.

LHC posted on Jul 24 2005 at 09:17 PM said:
Yeah I just found that out, but it doesn't mean that he shouldn't have run from a group of men that could have easily have been random thugs.

If they wanted them to believe he was a cop, maybe they should have been in uniform.

From eyewitness reports by the time he was in the station there was a mixture of plain clothes and uniformed police. They were also telling the general public to get down out of the way at this point wouldn't it have been a good idea to listen up. Considering the sitaution in London at the moment.

Unfortunatly if your in police uniform your very easily avoided by suspects...

As such we don't know all the facts at the moment one can purely speculate from what the media tells us.

Taken from eye witness accounts off the bbc site.
--
"He [the suspect] had a baseball cap on and quite a sort of thickish coat - it was a coat you'd wear in winter, sort of like a padded jacket.

"He might have had something concealed under there, I don't know. But it looked sort of out of place with the sort of weather we've been having, the sort of hot humid weather"

----

Commuter Anthony Larkin, who was also on the train at Stockwell station, told 5 Live he saw police chasing a man.

"I saw these police officers in uniform and out of uniform shouting 'get down, get down', and I saw this guy who appeared to have a bomb belt and wires coming out and people were panicking and I heard two shots being fired.

--

Now im sure the police haven't got a trigger happy mentality of going around murdering people.

But its a catch 22 situation you have a man who leaps over the barriers legs it down to the station platform in a winter jacket refuses to stop and jumps on the nearest tube. You have a split second decision to make do you wait and ask questions or be blown away with the rest of the genral public. Unfortunatly the only way to stop a suicide bomber is direct headshots. Had he been a suicide bomber and blown himself up cause he wasn't shot down there would have been uproar that the police hadn't done their job properly either..

Its a no win situation and a tragic state of affairs for all at the end of day and just goes to show the far reaching power that terror has upon us all. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying the policeman that did it was a bad person.

Like I say, I hope more facts come out of this because I don't really know what to think.

Back