"Marshall London" Smartphone from the Amp Company

I hate hate HATE when it tries to make my life easier by doing things automatically or by simplifying things.
I feel this way about most OSs and software that try to be "user friendly".  Someone mentioned terminals, right?  Just do what I tell you, not what some person that has never met me said I want or meant based on analysis of other users.

Terminals are OK, but on a Smart Phone, it makes not much sense, at least not if it is needed. But of course that's not the case. I find "user friendly" good, if done right and since so many Smart Phones sell, even to people who have no clue about technology or software, the companies must do something right. So many people suddenly are using Smart Phones, Tablets etc, even girls, older people, basicly evertyone. That would not be possible if these devices are only controlable with deep tech knowledge and maybe coding/command prompt skills.

Of course it doesn't hurt if you can choose how you want to control a device. But then you schould not use a generic Smart Phone. ;)  

Terminals are OK, but on a Smart Phone, it makes not much sense, at least not if it is needed.
Yeah, I do odd things sometimes.  Even fones with a keyboard are usually missing very important keys, so my attempts often failed.

So many people suddenly are using Smart Phones, Tablets etc, even girls, older people
really...

That would not be possible if these devices are only controlable with deep tech knowledge and maybe coding/command prompt skills.
...most of what I know about computers was either taught to me by older women, or they refined it...

I won't get into this too much, but some of those older people paved the way for what you are using.  Some of them are women.  Some of them are far more technically proficient than you will ever be.  

I mean this very respectful, I'm 36, 20 Years ago "average" girls did not had many tech. interests or used tech. devices. At least I was not be able to impress Girls with my computers/Handhelds or anything like that.  This has changed through mobile phones and their possibilities completely.  Myself has no smart phone or Tablet, I have no clue about Android & Co, I never was a fan of touchscreen only devices and I'm sure every girl can surpass me when it comes to the secrets of smart phones. ^^"

Last edited by a moderator:
The average 20 year old woman now has more knowledge and experience with computers than the average 20 year old man did 15 or so years ago when you were that age.  Sexism and attitudes that "this isn't what girls do" is why more don't get deep into this type of stuff (and why a woman with years of technical experience will be overlooked for a man with only the same level of education and no experience to fill an IT position).

Tablets and such are just the most recent manifestation of making things more user friendly and dumbing things down, however rather than eliminating required technical knowledge they make doing things quicker and more approachable.  The average user of pretty much any computer/smartphone/tablet, regardless of OS and software choices, is not as knowledgeable as those who specialize in such things...they are just average.  That average has increased greatly over the last few decades, and the real benefit of mobile touchscreen devices, especially small ones, is convenience.  Why sit in the corner and use a desktop computer when they can do what they need to anywhere with something that fits in their pocket?  They work well for a wider number of people for what they do.  For those that need to get things done they are probably not the best choice (this is also changing).

The average 20 year old woman now has more knowledge and experience with computers than the average 20 year old man did 15 or so years ago when you were that age.  Sexism and attitudes that "this isn't what girls do" is why more don't get deep into this type of stuff (and why a woman with years of technical experience will be overlooked for a man with only the same level of education and no experience to fill an IT position).

Tablets and such are just the most recent manifestation of making things more user friendly and dumbing things down, however rather than eliminating required technical knowledge they make doing things quicker and more approachable.  The average user of pretty much any computer/smartphone/tablet, regardless of OS and software choices, is not as knowledgeable as those who specialize in such things...they are just average.  That average has increased greatly over the last few decades, and the real benefit of mobile touchscreen devices, especially small ones, is convenience.  Why sit in the corner and use a desktop computer when they can do what they need to anywhere with something that fits in their pocket?  They work well for a wider number of people for what they do.  For those that need to get things done they are probably not the best choice (this is also changing).
You sayed that better than I did, I agree completely. :)

Yes, more girls should get deeper into technical stuff and especialy jobs in that direction. In my technical education back then 20 years ago we only had one girl in the class. Chances are good that today, the female quote is much higher there. ^^

The proliferation of computers led to the fatal assumption that the people using them actually knew anything about computing/programming. That's what the Raspberry Pi was created to try and fix- not the device itself, but the movement. It's one thing knowing which way to swipe on the display of a hermetically sealed magic box and understanding the technology and code that make it possible are ( obvious to us ) two very different things.

Technical knowledge really hasn't improved much - most modern devices are no more challenging to operate, and require no more technical knowledge, than a washing machine or a TV.

*everyone* should get deeper into technical stuff!

You sayed that better than I did, I agree completely. :)

Yes, more girls should get deeper into technical stuff and especialy jobs in that direction. In my technical education back then 20 years ago we only had one girl in the class. Chances are good that today, the female quote is much higher there. ^^
I wouldn't count on it.  The class I needed to finish my most recent degree was larger than usual and was all men.  The year before there were a few women.  Most of my other technical classes only had a couple women.  Where I was working before going to school we had a handful of women, and we did mostly IT stuff.  Where I worked 15 years ago we had nearly half women, however it was not IT stuff, but still highly technical and largely working with computers.  The earlier one worked with a lot of specialized stuff and required high proficiency with certain things that are not found in most places (unlike IT) and the main systems I worked on were running Solaris.  I don't remember what others were using, but there were a bunch of Windows boxes.  The more recent place was almost all Windows, with some of us heavily working with Cisco products.  Both places had about the same number of people.  The difference when moving from one place with more specialized skill sets and less common OSs and tools to somewhere with more common stuff was a bit of a shock to me.  I eventually found out that IT is still mostly men in many places and organizations, and they seem to try to keep it that way.

Technical knowledge really hasn't improved much - most modern devices are no more challenging to operate, and require no more technical knowledge, than a washing machine or a TV.
I honestly don't know if this is true or not.  For almost 2 dedades I have been forcing technical knowledge on all who surround me, so I don't know where most people stand in respect to this.  Strangers I strike up conversations with seem to understand the basics more than they used to (but I still hate dealing with support or sales people that act like I don't know anything, and when I ask very specific questions it turns out they don't know/understand very much and have just been told what to say).  (Edit:  I just noticed that examples I was thinking of are more on topic than everything else I have been saying.  My most recent interaction with supposedly knowledgeable sales people was related to finding a smartphone, and I was interested in some of the cheaper no contract options, so I wanted to know what devices were capable of what frequencies, and thus which carrier network they worked on, since some of these companies use more than one.  That was something that they should have at least been able to look up, but I only got answers when I looked it up myself.  The usual response was something like "what are frequencies?".  I suppose I should not have assumed if someone sold something they would have a basic idea of how it worked.  I guess I am shooting holes in what I said about greater technical knowledge with this, but radio related stuff is...nevermind, I guess I see Gadgetoid's point.  They use it but they don't know how the magical devices work.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Full circle back to the joke that's the mobile phone industry! Phones are, for the most part, sold with stats that tick boxes understood by the lowest common denominator and you're doomed if you expect anything but glassy-eyed stares in response to technical questions. There are always exceptions, but very few in my experience.

Surprisingly often I've met people who I assume have some basic knowledge of computers- but they've caught me off guard when it transpires that they don't.

And then there's a whole tier of people above me who probably see me in the same light as I see those people :D

... I've also totally lost the plot now :D

Ha! Full circle back to the joke that's the mobile phone industry! Phones are, for the most part, sold with stats that tick boxes understood by the lowest common denominator and you're doomed if you expect anything but glassy-eyed stares in response to technical questions. There are always exceptions, but very few in my experience.

Surprisingly often I've met people who I assume have some basic knowledge of computers- but they've caught me off guard when it transpires that they don't.

And then there's a whole tier of people above me who probably see me in the same light as I see those people :D

... I've also totally lost the plot now :D
The specs are a part of what I was considering when I mentioned the general level of knowledge has increased.  Many people at least know what these mystical things like processors and RAM are now.  Even many of us, myself included to some extent, don't fully understand how it matters for a specific machine/OS combination and how it is intended to be used (Pyra still needs more RAM :p ). 

I don't want to lump all people in sales together.  I sometimes find some with my level of knowledge or greater, and even those people that don't understand seemingly basic stuff that I am asking (which I have been told by the person that knows me best is because I am thinking about things on a level that most others don't...I think it comes down to some people just being lazy or not caring) know about things that I don't.

It does piss me off when I am asked to help somebody pick some hardware that will meet their needs and I give minimum requirements and some solid choices and then a sales person opens their mouth and starts talking about things that don't matter but have the person that asked me for help convinced that they need to get this other thing because it has Windows 8 or whatever.  "They know what they are talking about, they work there."  And now your game has a very low framerate, oh, and your keyboard isn't working anymore even though you just got the pretty laptop instead of the reliable one that can handle your games.

No, my rant is not yet complete.  What happened to researching things before you buy them?  I remember reading computer magazines and such for many years before I was able to buy my first one.  I understand not everyone wants to spend many hours over weeks or months deciding on the right things for them.  The most many will do is look at a few basic reviews in popular places.  I am at the extreme other end, as I will have a few choices I have narrowed it down to, then I will look into all problems people have said they run into, and spend days figuring out what sounds like it is going to be best for me.  My poor, cheap ass will end up paying more for something older to get exactly what I need instead of the flashy new thing that everyone is talking about.  

That reminds me, I need help from someone that can help me understand what I should be most concerned with when looking at i7 processors, some of which are a few years old.  Please PM me if you might have the knowledge and comprehension I need and a few minutes to spare.  I don't want the best, I want the best for my current needs.

^ i'm sorry i cant help you with specifics, but it gladdens my heart knowing you aren't rushing into any purchase.

I am the same when it comes to making important decisions. In the end, i've found it extremely hard getting truely accurate information that isn't at least somewhat biased by whoever is delivering it.

Also... facts are very decieving.

Second hand information is never sufficient.

i use an old i5, and barely, so i won't burden you with my innapropriate opinions.

I've learn't that personal experience is the only true source of valid information.

And that most of the time we worry over surface details, that just serve to distract us from adressing the real issues...

Back