Listen To Mp3's While Playing Games?

Tozarian

Still Fresh
Would this be at all possible? I think it might with emulators requiring less power (snes,nes,genesis etc.) but not with ones requiring more (I'm sure you can think of some)

Tozarian

I guess it should, It's supposed to be a UMPC and therefore should be able to do most the stuff a regular PC should (With some Exceptions) so as long as there is still RAM and CPU Speed left there shouldn't be a problem just remember that if you decide to play PS1 or N64 (If Possible) there may be a very slim chance that you will be able to do much of any multi tasking.

Am I correct in thinking I could turn the volume of an application down and have music playing in the background?

that is the general idea...... ALSA allows that

might even be able to do with with a heavy emu if the work is done on the DSP

as far as PS1 i don't think it is gonna really tax the processor all the way... anyway at least from what zodttd and tinnus have said but i could be wrong

Stevie said:
Am I correct in thinking I could turn the volume of an application down and have music playing in the background?
Most emulators have the buil in ability to turn sound off. Also many games allow you to trun the music off and play only sound effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exarus said:
It's supposed to be a UMPC and therefore should be able to do most the stuff a regular PC should (With some Exceptions)
Wow. That's a pretty bold statement. Per Openpandora.org it is QUOTE
an ultra portable open source computer with gaming controls
It doesn't mention UMPC, although that is the term we all widely recognise and we don't have a better and accepted name. But saying something like "should be able to do most the stuff a regular PC should" even with a brief caveat might be a little misleading. There's an enormous amount of PC stuff Pandora is not going to be able to do, like anything Windows or x86 specific, anything that doesn't get ported etc. That said, it should be capable of doing some pretty cool stuff, but we don't want to raise expectations.

it supports multitasking, so as long as it's not a program that needs all the CPUs attention, yes.

So you might not be able to do with while emulating the N64 or saturn

I was mostly wondering for web browsing, having the sound on and hearing some stupid advert screaming "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!" at me pisses me off quite a lot. I was pretty sure Linux had the ability to do so (as well as the abomination called Vista) so I was just checking I was correct before I assumed so and got confused as to why the feature was not there.

TaG said:
Exarus said:
It's supposed to be a UMPC and therefore should be able to do most the stuff a regular PC should (With some Exceptions)
Wow. That's a pretty bold statement. Per Openpandora.org it is QUOTE
an ultra portable open source computer with gaming controls
It doesn't mention UMPC, although that is the term we all widely recognise and we don't have a better and accepted name. But saying something like "should be able to do most the stuff a regular PC should" even with a brief caveat might be a little misleading. There's an enormous amount of PC stuff Pandora is not going to be able to do, like anything Windows or x86 specific, anything that doesn't get ported etc. That said, it should be capable of doing some pretty cool stuff, but we don't want to raise expectations.

The statement "should be able to do most the stuff a regular PC should" is not misleading. The only physical limitations are CPU speed, RAM size, screen resolution, etc. Anything else all comes down to software. There is no physical reason that the Pandora could not play music while running a game. Wether or not it will is a function of how the emulator, media player, and OS handle sound output. Even if something like this doesn't work out of the box due to how one of those three things was written, if enough people want it fixed it probably will be.

TaG said:
saying something like "should be able to do most the stuff a regular PC should" even with a brief caveat might be a little misleading. There's an enormous amount of PC stuff Pandora is not going to be able to do, like anything Windows or x86 specific, anything that doesn't get ported etc.
But Windows/X86 is not the definition of a PC, despite what some people would like to have you believe.

Sure, the Pandora will never run Windows Vista, or Halo, or Crysis, etc. On the other hand, a regular PC isn't going to run some of Pandora's applications either.

A regular PC is used to play games, browse the web, edit some documents, etc, all of which the Pandora will be able to do. So in effect, the Pandora will be able to do much of what a PC does.

(Besides, Pandora can do Windows and x86 specific stuff, by using bochs and dosbox :p)

Squidge said:
TaG said:
saying something like "should be able to do most the stuff a regular PC should" even with a brief caveat might be a little misleading. There's an enormous amount of PC stuff Pandora is not going to be able to do, like anything Windows or x86 specific, anything that doesn't get ported etc.

But Windows/X86 is not the definition of a PC, despite what some people would like to have you believe.

Sure, the Pandora will never run Windows Vista, or Halo, or Crysis, etc. On the other hand, a regular PC isn't going to run some of Pandora's applications either.

A regular PC is used to play games, browse the web, edit some documents, etc, all of which the Pandora will be able to do. So in effect, the Pandora will be able to do much of what a PC does.

(Besides, Pandora can do Windows and x86 specific stuff, by using bochs and dosbox :p)Ok, I accept your point, and Chip's. I don't think I expressed myself too well, and I was only commenting on that part of the post.

I guess your second sentence is close to what I was trying to say. If you say Pandora is a UMPC or will do most of what a PC will do, the public/newcomers/casual enquirers start thinking about specific apps, like Office, PC games, Photoshop or whatever their favourites are (and I quote Windows stuff as that is what most people are thinking when you say PC). Many apps that people think of quite possibly won't work although there will possibly be a good alternative. Too be fair, you get the same reaction if you talk to someone about Linux.

I just think we need to be careful/balanced so that people do not make assumptions, have too high expectations, almost thinking it is a desktop replacement, and then end up being disappointed.

I don't have a problem with what Exarus said, I just thought that the specific part I quoted might be open to misinterpretation.

Not sure if thats any clearer, now I've tried to explain I'll shut up.

A more correct form would be "can do anything a superturbohypercharged Archimedes on steroids with extra steroids and three cans of Popeye's lettuce spinach can".

(I am so tired today) :mellow:

atomicthumbs said:
A more correct form would be "can do anything a superturbohypercharged Archimedes on steroids with extra steroids and three cans of Popeye's lettuce can".
Popeye eats Spinach:

popeye-50years.jpg

See?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
atomicthumbs said:
A more correct form would be "can do anything a superturbohypercharged Archimedes on steroids with extra steroids and three cans of Popeye's lettuce can".
Popeye eats Spinach:

popeye-50years.jpg

See?

-God Ginrai

I dislike lettuce. <_<

I love spinach though. :D

Kyosys said:
it supports multitasking, so as long as it's not a program that needs all the CPUs attention, yes.

So you might not be able to do with while emulating the N64 or saturn

I don't think you'll be able to do anything while emulating the saturn, including emulating the saturn B)

If what you're listening gets decoded on the DSP and there is enough bandwidth to go around, it should be possible to listen to music even with the Cortex (almost) fully occupied.

Back