120GB Raid1 Storage
200GB Temp
Geforce 4 TI4200 128meg

Mrpigeon (quiet downloading pc)
800mhz Via
384MB Ram
40GB HD
16MB Built in VGA

Mrcow (lounge pc plugged into tv for video etc)
800mhz Celeron
256MB Ram
10GB HD
16MB Built in VGA

Xbox
Soon to be chipped to replace lounge PC above :)

storm, you are in an enviable position cos all you have to do is upgrade your graphics card and it'll be among the best available! Damn, building mine tomorrow... I'd say I can't wait but evidently I'm doing just that at the moment.

Avast, built!

Okay so the overclocking really isn't working. I'm a n00b of course. Out of the box it was running at 600 MHz :( Upped this to 1700 MHz and it is stable and about 35 degrees. Anything higher and the PC simply refuses to boot after the BIOS screen.

Not sure why - clearly it's not the temperature. I think the Vcore needs increasing, but it's already 1.6 V. So basically I think I just got a dud processor... meh.

Although I hoped for more, Doom 3 runs 40fps @ 1280x1024 4xAA 4xAF despite the CPU bottleneck. The 6800 GT is pushing polygons at a ridiculous rate and I haven't even clocked it to Ultra level yet.

Wait so you got Doom 3 running at 40fps at massive resolution and antialiasing on what was originally a 600mhz processor?

That is the best anything ever.

edit: oh now i see

Thats not good (the CPU) I feel bad about reccomending it. However, although nothings guaranteed, I've never heard of this chip NOT overclocking seriously well!

btw: the original boot at 600mhz is normal, most bios's read it as unrecognised processor (like mine) so runs it at a very safe speed.

I don't know what to say, maybe your motherboard is limiting it. Do you remember what stepping code was printed on top of the chip (IE: IQYHA 0302 VMPW). It's the IQYHA one thats usually the best (but they should all be good overclockers). Here's a handy reference page ...I don't think anyone on it is experiencing no overclock at all???

It sounds like your motherboard won't overclock it, maybe you can unlock it somehow (something to look up) but if it continues to be a bastard, it'll probably be easier to sell it on ebay, you'll probably make a little profiit on it too, it's hot shit at the moment! Then just buy a 3200XP for about £85

Thats still very good doom3 results (especially considering you've got 4x AA). I thought (and read) that a processor at that speed would limit it quite badly.

LHC said:
Wait so you got Doom 3 running at 40fps at massive resolution and antialiasing on what was originally a 600mhz processor?

That is the best anything ever.
Yeah, it's supposed to be a 2400+ it just boots up at 600 first because a desktop Motherboard doesn't know what to do with a mobile (laptop) chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I may be wrong about the voltage.

After reading some sites it seems 200x10 or 11 is the norm at 1.7 V or so. I will jack up my Vcore since my cooling allows it, and see if I can raise the speed.

Also, I also read about how some multipliers just refuse to work. I haven't tried anything higher than about 1800.

Anyways, even if it fails it's still better than my old processor and somewhat capable of running Doom 3 ;) I will probably just go and buy a 3000+ or so which is more reliable. And yeah, sell the 2500. I don't have to say shit about how well it overclocks, I'll just say it was accidentally sent to be by an online store.

EDIT: The motherboard is an nForce2, so I would hope that it isn't limiting anything.

EDIT AGAIN: Shit, it's running at 45 degrees after some Prime95 testing. And the clock speed is still 1700. I'm snaking up the Vcore though, and what's weirder is that I turned off my Coolermaster HSF and it uhm... didn't change the temperature. If the fan isn't working, then I can understand the crappy performance!

Yeah, if you wanted to really push it, you could say "THE FAMOUS BIG OVERCLOCKING CHIP - 99% guaranteed" or something , then in a bit of small print say "no overclock is 100% guaranteed"

But I think, if you fiddled a bit then it'll go up ( :p :eek: ). I also have an nforce2 board, and I'm sure this should let you do it.

Have you got a bios section called something like "RATES AND VOLTAGES" where you set the multiplier and voltage? Also, maybe lower your FSB by a notch or to to play it safe. Mines running at 14x168 or something like that, cause my ram won't let the FSB go above 175 or so.

[edit=rico] [edit2]oops, I mean...
rico said:
EDIT AGAIN: Shit, it's running at 45 degrees after some Prime95 testing. And the clock speed is still 1700. I'm snaking up the Vcore though, and what's weirder is that I turned off my Coolermaster HSF and it uhm... didn't change the temperature. If the fan isn't working, then I can understand the crappy performance!
Yeah could be. As a matter of fact I've heard of people running the CPU fanless (i don't recall what speed). That HSF, although getting good reviews, does seem a bit cheap and gimmicky considering the size vs price factor. I don't know as I've never used it and the reviews do seem good, but maybe some of them can be a bit problematic.

[edit1million]JESUS, bloody spellings getting worse and worse.

Right. Crisis (sorta) averted.

My ram is PC3200 so I thought it'd have no problem with 400 MHz. I'm really reluctant to change my FSB when the multiplier is so wet and open to my touch ;) Anyways... I kept snaking the Vcore up to about 1.675 or so (standard Barton voltage) and it kept doing nothing on boot - just refused to plain boot.

Then I thought about my second option (multipliers refusing to work) and increased the multiplier... it boots at 1900 MHz!!

Now of course that's not much of an achievement... but if it works at 1900 and 1700 but not at 1800... chances are it's just one multiplier that doesn't work.

So my Vcore is lingering around 1.7 and temperature seems stable... shall I work towards 200x11 ? I'll reboot and try the next multiplier on and check the temps. Any links to a decent tool to see temperatures from within Windows? Because the ones I've seen seem to be down.

Rico posted on Sep 5 2004 at 11:55 PM said:
shall I work towards 200x11 ? I'll reboot and try the next multiplier on and check the temps. Any links to a decent tool to see temperatures from within Windows? Because the ones I've seen seem to be down.
LOL! I'm probably the worst person to talk to, I tend to start at outragesly high overclocks and work down! Yeah, I know it's CERRAZY, but I'm just mmMMMMAD like that!

Actually, I'm just lazy <_<

Errr... :huh: anyway, to read the temps, I just use tools that came with my hardware (I.E. nvidia system utility, soltek hardware moniter etc).

[edit]NO... I was gonna change the spelling but fuckit I've had enough!

I backed down to 200x9.5 (1.65v) @ 1900. I did increase the core to 1.7 but I don't want to go much higher, and also... 10 and 10.5 multipliers don't work. I will try 11, but later.

The most fucking bizarre thing is that CPU temp has stayed constant at 45 degrees. This thing is begging to be overclocked, and I don't know what's stopping it. The fact that it doesn't even boot is extremely odd.

Rico posted on Sep 6 2004 at 12:03 AM said:
The most fucking bizarre thing is that CPU temp has stayed constant at 45 degrees. This thing is begging to be overclocked, and I don't know what's stopping it. The fact that it doesn't even boot is extremely odd.

Yeah, that's how I feel about mine. I step up from 1.8Ghz to 2.36Ghz, and the temps (which are higher than yours) hardly even change. I do have the option of upgrading my ram and HSF though, but I'll probably find that it'd give me a minor boost.

Well on the results of others I will definitely try higher multis. Temp is stable, PC is stable (well, I count Doom 3 as a stress test) and all signs point to overclocking it more. I need to research this non-boot problem. I have a feeling it is my motherboard, as there have been a handful of complaints about it hanging randomly at boot time - I don't get that at all unless I've changed the multi, but meh.

Anyways this shall be my last post on the matter until more experiments later, as I need to sleep. Thanks for the help, though.

Hi Rico. Yes my graphics card is useless but then new ones are so expensive. I thought about selling my ti4200 on ebay and paying about £80 extra to get a 9800 pro as it would be a fair bit quicker although still slow compared to what you can buy but im not paying £300-500 for a graphics card!

Im using the standard amd cooler by the way to get my 2500 to 3200 and 3400, does run at 50C though and nudges over 60 under full load but doesnt crash and my room is madly hot, ambient temperatures normally 27C or more which doesnt help

I find I hardly play any games on my pc now as theres always so much hassle getting them to work and so on well I bought a xbox on ebay with project gotham 2 and thats the only game ive played for a month. I turn it on, it works, I play against my friends whilst my quiet pc downloads and spools mp3 radio. Im writing this from that pc now as well, main ones barely used

well, current PC 1

2.1 gig AMD sumtin, my bro got it for me on my B-day
512+256+128 megs ram 2700
ATI 7500 AIW 64meg
70 gig 2 hdd's
19" monitor - 8' projector ( gaming - movies ) - 32" tv ( when shit is in the way of projector )
52x cd-rw/dvd combo
cheap ass cd drive so not wear out my other drive
bitchin case with windows and bubble tubes and neons ( color lights in fans too )
9 total fans ( 5 case, 2 ram, 1 vpu, 1 dual blade cpu fan 130mm bitch is large and in charge )
things also kind loud on full speed all fans
o ya, 5.1

pc2 - gp32 computer
1.6 gig AMDxp
256+128+32 megs ram pc133
the above for video out setup
32meg card Nvidia TNT2
some other stuff....
slow 12x cdburner
100 meg zip disk ( so i can get stuff at achool on the T1 )

pc3 - server #1 ( Bob )
1.2 gig P3
256 megs ram
220 gig hd
32meg Nvidia sumtin
12" monitor

pc4 - server #2 ( Apache )
same as the above one, but 160gig hd

pc5 - my new baby ( still in the mail )
Abit KV8-MAX3
pc2700 1gig ram
AMD athlon64 2800+ 1 meg cache
5.1 card from my comp 1
ATI 9800 pro 256 meg 256 bit
80 gig hd
pc1's dvd drive, cd drive, system, and monitor setup, case

and then my bro and parents comp

pc6 - parents
700 mhz celeron
256 ram
32meg vpu
60 gig
cdrw 12x12x64

pc7 - bro
got a 1.8 gig proc from AMD OC'd to 2.6
1 gig pc3200
ATI 9800 pro
6.1 surroud
120 gig hd
dvd/cd-rw 52x
19"
some other stuff, not to sure on the last 2 set ups, their not my concern B)

my house is a network hell

pc's #s 1-3 in my room ( tight ass squeeze )
my own personal server and gp32 comp under left of desk with my main comp under the right, half my desk is taken by monitor and TV and pc3 monitor mounted outside of desk

pc's #s 4-7 ( plus a would be 8 when he pays his bills and gets his new one shipped ) are in his room - his comp and his server

pc #6 is my parents in their office

and we got a printer in the middle in my bros room

~Octavious

Got it up to 2200. Vcore is ~1.75 V and temp is ~50. I am definitely not trying any higher until this is verified stable for a while. Still, I'm much happier with 2200 than 1900 obviously.

PC
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1.86GhZ)
ASUS A7N8X Mobo
512MB PC3200 RAM (cheap stuff that won't really get to 200MhZ, crashes when I try to put the FSB anything over 186MhZ)
80GB HD + 80GB Backup + 40GB Windows HD
Gentoo Linux

Laptop
Pentium 233 MMX
32MB RAM
2GB HD
800x600 screen
WIn 98SE

Rico posted on Sep 6 2004 at 10:14 AM said:
Got it up to 2200. Vcore is ~1.75 V and temp is ~50. I am definitely not trying any higher until this is verified stable for a while. Still, I'm much happier with 2200 than 1900 obviously.

Yeah, that sounds better. I suppose it's time to settle for that for now.

My last PC ran at about 65 degrees constantly due to a bad case design. Nothing was overclocked. I could keep it on for hours.

Besides, it all depends on how much the temp has increased, as I haven't checked.

EDIT: It looks like 2.2ghz is 3000+ level.

bench2.JPG

bench.JPG

Yeah, according to sandra, there's not a lot of difference between the XP3000+ and XP3200+. My system runs stably (it's on practically 24/7 and runs doom3 etc) with these temps:

CPU 54-55
SYSTEM 65

My CPU voltage is set to 1.65 but then I'm running only 168 FSB (x14)

I don't know if it's fair to compare these temps though as I have a small case and I would expect the temps to be a bit higher.

I'd try pushing it up a bit more ;)

Back