List Ur Pc/s Specs

Soltek QBIC 3702 Mirror
nforce2 motherboard
athlon XP mobile 2500+ @ approx 4000+ (on shitty heatsink/fan, must get another)
512MB PC2700 unbranded ram
LG GSA-4120B Dual Layer DVD burner
MSI DVD drive
160GB hitachi HDD
80GB deskstar HDD
Geforce 4200ti (damn! I want a 6800gt, selling crap on ebay atm to raise funds)

21" philips 201B CRT
x-arcade 2-player joystick

68413.jpg

main machine

powerbook G4 1GHz 15"
768MB Ram
60GB HDD
DVD-R
Airport wireless (posting this from bed ;) )
Mac OS X 10.3

Windoze/linux dual boot box

Athlon XP2600+
512MB
120GB
DVD-R
CD-RW
DVD-ROM
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128MB
Fedora/XP dual boot

pubjoe posted on Aug 30 2004 at 10:48 PM said:
athlon XP mobile 2500+ @ approx 4000+ (on shitty heatsink/fan, must get another)
We must discuss this! 4000 is ridiculous! I could only find the 2400 in stock at www.overclockers.co.uk. My PC won't be fully here so I'm just guessing 3200. However, I read an article where someone overclocked a 2600 to 3200+ levels using a RETAIL heatsink. I got a Coolermaster and some silver compound, so I'm hoping to get results as good as yours. Here's the full specs :)
I got it in the end, it was cheaper than I thought it would be, and will last probably into my next upgrade once I overclock it.
21" philips 201B CRT
You bastard :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico posted on Aug 31 2004 at 10:09 AM said:
We must discuss this! 4000 is ridiculous! I could only find the 2400 in stock at www.overclockers.co.uk. My PC won't be fully here so I'm just guessing 3200. However, I read an article where someone overclocked a 2600 to 3200+ levels using a RETAIL heatsink. I got a Coolermaster and some silver compound, so I'm hoping to get results as good as yours. Here's the full specs :)
Yeah, I ended up paying about £15 over the odds for the 2500+ XP-M, second hand from an ebay seller (£85). But at least this meant I was guanranteed a good stepping (IQYHA 0407 PMW to be precise) and he said in his description he has clocked it over 2.5Ghz. I managed to get it to boot running at 2.550Ghz, which I presume is about 4000+ speeds (going by the ebay sellers who claim that 2.7Ghz is 4400+??), but the temps were quite high, so I'm now running it stable at 2.4Ghz.

btw: It must be mentioned that these ####+ speeds are not true AMD measurements of performance, only estimates. I think you need a larger cache and perhaps a 64bit processor if 2.7ghz is to be fairly compared to 4400+. Still, it's a bloody high clock speed for an athlonXP anyway.

I'm not sure what fan to go for seeing as it's going into a sff. That fan your getting is just the kind of thing I want, if it squeezes in, so I can have the hot air blowing directly into the exhaust fan, even cut a hole out the back of the case and blow it out there!

I got it in the end, it was cheaper than I thought it would be, and will last probably into my next upgrade once I overclock it.
Cool! nice one. whats the noise like on the XFX? I was thinking of getting the BFG from pcworld componant centre for about the same price, but it's not in stock atm.

21" philips 201B CRT
You bastard :)
£50 from ebay about a year ago :D This is often the case with large monitors, if your prepared to go and pick it up, then people just sometimes want rid of them as not many people want them because of the size & weight.

El_Diablo posted on Aug 31 2004 at 12:50 PM said:

envy is not a strong enough word! damn damn damn! I want!

(I making do at the mo with a Dreamcast Arcade stick and a PC adapter)
OK OK, stop staring! ;)

Hmm... you had my hopes up. 2.4 GHz is about 3200+ speed. Just about. Which is still good - that's what the article got with the 2600, so you did slightly better. My processor is guaranteed in no way whatsoever, so I'm just hoping that it'll run fast.

The fan is probably going to be too big and too loud... oh well. I'll get used to it, plus there's a dial you can turn to lower it when you're not gaming etc. As for the XFX, I have no idea. The PC won't be built until Sunday ;)

Then 2.4 GHz isn't going to propel it all the way up to 4000... anyways the AMD ratings are all bollocks. Why they have to have their own number system, I'm not sure... anyone care to explain?

EDIT: never mind
AMD chips use more complex instructions than the Intel chips. That means that in general (graphics, number crunching) the Athlon can do more per clock cycle than the Pentium. The exception is in memory intensive tasks like compressing files or doing MP3s, there the faster clock systems in the pentiums win.

El_Diablo posted on Aug 31 2004 at 11:50 AM said:

envy is not a strong enough word! damn damn damn! I want!

(I making do at the mo with a Dreamcast Arcade stick and a PC adapter)

X-Arcade use shitty non-arcade parts

they sell em on their webpage (joysticks and buttons)

it is better and cheaper to make ure own by buying stuff from Ultimarc

(I had an X-arcade, sold it, the DC soul calibur stick is much nicer if thats what u have)

Ah well, I like it, it feels close enough to an arcade machine to me.

The Athlon chips numbering is annoying, but it does have some good reasons such as that quote you posted rico. Basically, the extras such as 3D-now help games only. I think the lvl2 cache has got a lot to do with it aswell. As the quote says, it's not fair to compare processors by only megahertz anymore.

I know it sounds crazy that and Athlon running at 2.5 ghz is 4000+ speeds, and in fairness, it's not. But I remember when I overclocked my old 1600+ XP chip, my PC would read it as a 2200+ (or whatever) although the performance was clearly not as good. If you want to get further confused, check this out:

Some website somewhere said:
____________Athlon 64 3400+______Athlon 64 FX-53_______Athlon 64 3800+
Process__________130 nm____________130 nm_______________130 nm
Platform_________Socket 754________Socket 940____________Socket 939
Core clock_________2200___________MHz 2400_____________MHz 2400 MHz
L1 cache___________128 KB___________128 KB_______________128 KB
L2 cache__________1024 KB__________ 1024 KB_______________512 KB

Someone should really plot core clock speed against AMD numbers so you can get one from the other. Anyways, my processor is here, and the fan is the size of Texas, so I'll see what I can do. Just waiting for the rest ;)

Rico posted on Sep 1 2004 at 10:55 PM said:
Someone should really plot core clock speed against AMD numbers so you can get one from the other. Anyways, my processor is here, and the fan is the size of Texas, so I'll see what I can do. Just waiting for the rest ;)

The AMD names are meant to tell you, a 2800+ is meant to be the same as a P4 2.8 etc.

No, I mean the pure AMD clockspeed, not the Intel speed. So that if I overclock my processor to say 2.8 GHz I can tell what retail AMD processor would have that speed, and then work out whether my investment was worth the money. Luckily, I just found out SiSoft Sandra can benchmark the processor and tell me that :)

You'll be lucky to overclock it that high. Thanks for mentioning the sandra program. I tested mine, running at 2.36Ghz for stablility (Arithmetic benchmark):
1.gif

I used sandra's AthlonXP data for comparison.

You can see that there isn't much of an increase step in Mhz between the XP series of chips. Where the performance boost comes is from the cache and the FSB. The mobile's cache is the same as the 3200's btw.

I did a multimedia test and got the same sort of result:
2.gif

If you want to calculate what rating the mobile (running at 2.36Ghz) would be, then going by this, it would be high (around 3800+). If you think that there is a 499 (MIPS) difference between the XP2600 and the XP3200. And a 549 difference between my overclocked mobile chip and the 3200+ Then I think it's fair to rank this as approx: 3800+ when running at 2.36.

If I did the same logic using the multimedia results, I would end up with an even higher rating for the XP-M, but for augument's sake I used the lower result.

One last thing to bear in mind is that I've run the chip upto 2.55Ghz before getting scared because of high temps. When I get a new fan, I'll be interested to see how it scores then. I'm also limited by my ram (333Mhz ddr) so I can't run the chip at 200FSB or over, which would apparently give the best performance.

Some people on forums are apparently running the chip up to 250FSB!!! and claim that the chip then compares to an Athlon64 or a p4-E. - I should think you'll need some of that stupidly expensive ram for that though.

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 1.gif
    1.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 1.gif
    1.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 114
My ram is PC3200 which has a nice speed, but obviously not that crazy shit which is like £400 for a 512 stick. But I don't get your 250 fsb comment. It starts at 266 fsb, and I'm going to need to get it higher than that to make my RAM actually useful.

Anyways my current PC temp is about 60-70 degrees according to the BIOS (after rebooting) and has been left on for days without problem, so I am not afraid to get that temperature high. On Sunday, when its built, I'll post SiSoft benchmarks for anyone who gives a fuck!

Yeah, I'd like to see what you get. The FSB thing doesn't match up because it's DDR. which basically means PC3200 ram is 200Mhz doubled to 400DDR. So you need 400ddr ram to run the processor (properly) at 200FSB.

Does that processor HSF you got make much noise?

I'll tell you when it's built :) Reviews state something like 'I can hear this thing from the other side of my house' -> since I'll live in basically a tiny room this is a moot point, I'd always hear it whatever. Also it can be lowered so it won't make much noise at all when I'm not doing anything important. I'll just turn it up for games and such.

Back