List Ur Pc/s Specs

You know, I'd expect a lot better temps than your getting. this mobile chip is supposed to run cool. My currnet temps are better than my 1600+ was!!!

Maybe you should look into it. Did you apply the thermal paste on your CPU/HSF smoothly and sparingly? Have you got decent airflow in the case? Is that nucleur graphics card blowing air towards the CPU and if so, is you CPU's fan set to suck, or blow?

Yeah, this is the Mobile (laptop) cpu, and it's a hand-picked, dream overclocker's chip: unlocked multiplier, low temps (but can handle high), low voltage (but, again, can handle high).

here's some results others have been getting.

pubjoe posted on Sep 6 2004 at 11:23 AM said:
Maybe you should look into it. Did you apply the thermal paste on your CPU/HSF smoothly and sparingly? Have you got decent airflow in the case? Is that nucleur graphics card blowing air towards the CPU and if so, is you CPU's fan set to suck, or blow?
Arctic Silver 5 has been applied (imo) well onto the chip, HSF is mounted and running fine, case has a lot of blank space and is genrally not cramped, and graphics card is blowing hot air in the opposite direction to the CPU (although the fan is suck, not blow). The fan isn't loud at all, though. With even minor sound you just can't hear it. So perhaps the fan isn't running as fast as it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, all sounds okay, if there is nice surrounding space then setting the fan to suck is apparently the best setting. You said the fan has been reviewed as noisy though, so perhaps that's it. I'm running out of ideas tbh.

Why is everyone so obsessed with clock speed? No matter how fast you up your ticks, there is a limit to how fast the actual bandwidth can travel based on your chip's architecture, which is why P4 sucks worse then an Athlon. So if you want to overclock anything, overclock a chip with a GOOD architecture, like a Pentium 3. The Athlon XP architecture is OK, but not as good as the P3, especially without speed throttling.

generalnmx posted on Sep 6 2004 at 01:17 PM said:
Why is everyone so obsessed with clock speed? No matter how fast you up your ticks, there is a limit to how fast the actual bandwidth can travel based on your chip's architecture, which is why P4 sucks worse then an Athlon. So if you want to overclock anything, overclock a chip with a GOOD architecture, like a Pentium 3. The Athlon XP architecture is OK, but not as good as the P3, especially without speed throttling.

Argghh! For the last time, it's not XP, it's the XP MOBILE!

[edit]okay, you may have realised that. It's just the XP-mobile, has good architecture, and it can also overclock insanely (more than anything else on the market).

Last edited by a moderator:
Temp is 60 and I'm running 2300. So that's 5 degrees for every 100 I add on. It's (sorta) Prime95 stable and got through 3DMark fine, plus Sandra reports it as better than the 3200+, so I think I'm done here. Just bad luck of the draw that I didn't get one of the batch that does 2200 at 1.5 V :(

overclocking newbie here....

just got myself a new motherboard and processor. Been reading this and giving overclocking a try. Got an Athlon xp 2600+, but at the moment its only running at 1.96ghz.

My fsb will only go to around 175. At this, the cpu temp is around 42 C.

Should I be changing anything else to increase the mhz level (voltage is already 1.6)?

Most multipliers I try dont work. Is there any way (other than trial and error) to know which ones should work?

any links to good explanatory sites would be great.

I can't think of a site off the top of my head but if you google search for Athlon XP "pencil trick" you'll find out how to unlock the multiplier. And you won't get far without having an unlocked multiplier btw. Your temps are good, so hopefully it'll allow for overclocking, but you might have trouble with how much voltage your chip can handle. Really it's just trial and error, So if your happy with the speed and it's already installed, it might be a lot of trouble to go to for a small boost. You will find helpful people to talk to on technical boards.

Also, your front side bus (fsb) goes to 175. Do you know what fsb your ram is IE: PC2700 = 166fsbx2 = 332ddr
or...
PC3200 = 200fsbx2 = 400 ddr

So you'll really need PC3200 to allow your fsb to go any higher. But even if you did, it's luck whether the processor will do it.

yer overclocking the cpu is good but at the end of the day the hard drive is by the far the slowest thing in a computer. My 2500+ desktop cpu will run quite happily at 2400mhz ie ~3400+ with a standard AMD heatsink and fan at 1.8V but theres just no point as my graphics card is old so games are never cpu limited for me. I just keep running of out harddrive space, must get a load of 10K rpm raptors if I win the lottery :)

Back