Linux vs. Native Code (Bare Metal)

PAH

Still Fresh
I've seen some posts talking about some apps running without an OS, and lots of talk about different flavors of Linux. So, are most apps for Pandora going to run on Linux or with no OS?

I would think that they'd typically run on Linux, and only go to bare metal if they really had to get absolutely full control, max memory, etc.

Thanks,

Pete

Most should run with Linux, I hope.

Whether they'll all run leaving k-drive in memory, I don't know. The idea is that if you're writing a program that is fairly demanding (e.g. N64 emulator) you kill k-drive but leave Linux alone. That way you keep all the drivers and libraries that Linux brings to the table whilst getting rid of the bit of it that actually eats some CPU cycles.

Personally, though, I'm hoping that most leave k-drive alone. I really want to be able to multi-task on this, in whatever shape that ability comes (e.g. I'd prefer to tab between full-screen windows rather than have multiple ones, given the size of the screen). K-drive (i.e. a variant on Xorg) lets that happen much much easier with it loaded than without...

I hope there will be a standarized screen manager protocol which wouldn't need any CPU cycles and minimum of RAM. Then each application can chose to draw the screen however they like.

Tobriand said:
Personally, though, I'm hoping that most leave k-drive alone. I really want to be able to multi-task on this, in whatever shape that ability comes (e.g. I'd prefer to tab between full-screen windows rather than have multiple ones, given the size of the screen). K-drive (i.e. a variant on Xorg) lets that happen much much easier with it loaded than without...

I hope the windowing server is left alone, and the application should kindly request the user do such-and-such if required. craigix commented on this, and I thought he was right on: it would be annoying to open an emulator, and see all your browser tabs disappear into oblivion.

The linux kernel is where all our drivers (inc. closed source) are. You wont see any games of any quality without the linux kernel running.

Back