Linux suggestions?

I suggest using Windows 10.  You won't see any viruses I guarantee as MS has just turned you into a virus yourself, and virus won't attack virus ;)

Thanks for all the info!  I think Mint or Ubuntu sounds the best for a starting place for me.

Good choice - I recommend Ubuntu for new Linux users. I currently maintain 4 pc's with Ubuntu for family / friends. Changed one to gnome classic because of the unity interface (not everybody likes unity) - the rest uses unity and they are quite pleased with it.
It has the largest user base and almost every question regarding installing or tweaking has been asked and answered on the Ubuntu forum. You can try out Ubuntu without installing it on your HDD.

. You can try out Ubuntu without installing it on your HDD.

It's the same with Mint.
Firefox, Pidgin, Thunderbird, GParted, LibreOffice and some other stuff is already preinstalled on the live-dvd (and later the system if you choose to install it on the hdd).
My ex-gf used a Mint live-dvd in the last weeks that I gave her a while ago. The hdd of the notebook was botched and she needed a PC so it was the perfect opportunity, now the hdd is working again (made a new partition table, etc...) and has Mint installed.
One more lucky person brought to Linux again. :) Although the ATI radeon mobile chip is crap, she is playing a lot on it at the moment (Don't Starve).

I like Mint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft should have focued on something, what they're good at. Like making games. My gf is playing Zoo Tycoon 2 with wine with Mint 17.1 right now. ;)

Microsoft should have focued on something, what they're good at. Like making games. My gf is playing Zoo Tycoon 2 with wine with Mint 17.1 right now. ;)

Indeed, gaming was the last thing Windows was good for and MS produced some nice games (Age of Empires II for example).
I prefer Zoo Tycoon 1 with the addons though, it can be played in widescreen HD and I love sprites.
I'm so happy to have gotten hold of the gold edition before it became really rare.
Those games should really be on GoG...with a WINE package. :D

Of course she plays Zoo tycoon 2 with all addons, too! :D
The Microsoft flight simulator or some motocross game I tried once was very nice, too.

Of course she plays Zoo tycoon 2 with all addons, too! :D
The Microsoft flight simulator or some motocross game I tried once was very nice, too.

I've heard that the second game of the series should rather suck - I haven't played it yet since the 3D graphics were not my cup of tea and I've read so often that the first one is better.
Motocross Madness and MS Combat Flight Simulator 2 are part of my collection, good stuff.

Thanks for all the info!  I think Mint or Ubuntu sounds the best for a starting place for me.

Good choice - I recommend Ubuntu for new Linux users. I currently maintain 4 pc's with Ubuntu for family / friends. Changed one to gnome classic because of the unity interface (not everybody likes unity) - the rest uses unity and they are quite pleased with it.
It has the largest user base and almost every question regarding installing or tweaking has been asked and answered on the Ubuntu forum. You can try out Ubuntu without installing it on your HDD.
I used to recommend Ubuntu to non technical types interested in Linux.  Eventually I started suggesting Kubuntu or Xubuntu (because Unity).  For those interested in learning, or that already have some Linux knowledge I usually encourage them to look into a few, especially ones that are different from what they have used, and to try a few out.   I used to try a different distro a couple times a year.  Most people don't want to bother with that.   

. You can try out Ubuntu without installing it on your HDD.

It's the same with Mint.
Firefox, Pidgin, Thunderbird, GParted, LibreOffice and some other stuff is already preinstalled on the live-dvd (and later the system if you choose to install it on the hdd).
My ex-gf used a Mint live-dvd in the last weeks that I gave her a while ago. The hdd of the notebook was botched and she needed a PC so it was the perfect opportunity, now the hdd is working again (made a new partition table, etc...) and has Mint installed.
One more lucky person brought to Linux again. :) Although the ATI radeon mobile chip is crap, she is playing a lot on it at the moment (Don't Starve).

I like Mint.
Mint seems to have replaced the most newbie friendly distro according to some people, and even some that I know who have used Linux from an admin side for a little while seem to be happy with it.  What is it that makes Mint so different from the Ubuntu family, and why is it supposedly so user friendly compared to other distros?

• Mint uses Cinnamon or Mate, so you don't have to fizzle with Unity
  • Mint has a nice update mechanism
  • Mint has updates for 5 years
  • Most Hardware, especially propietary, works out of the box.

I like Mint.

I like all Linux distro's :)

I used to recommend Ubuntu to non technical types interested in Linux.  Eventually I started suggesting Kubuntu or Xubuntu (because Unity).  For those interested in learning, or that already have some Linux knowledge I usually encourage them to look into a few, especially ones that are different from what they have used, and to try a few out.   I used to try a different distro a couple times a year.  Most people don't want to bother with that.   

I used to distro hop a lot in the past, usually due to compatibility issues with hardware or just having fun. Ubuntu
works, I am used to it so I don't see the need to change to another distro. I did change to Kubuntu for my laptop - KDE has better 2nd screen support and I do have a soft spot for Puppy Linux - my favourite rescue OS.

Mint seems to have replaced the most newbie friendly distro according to some people, and even some that I know who have used Linux from an admin side for a little while seem to be happy with it.  What is it that makes Mint so different from the Ubuntu family, and why is it supposedly so user friendly compared to other distros?

Popularity of Mint was rocketing after Ubuntu came installed with Unity. Unity was horrible the first release and disappointed a lot of users - it was slow, buggy and different. It works fine now and I even have seen posts of people installing Unity on Mint. For support and gaming (steam) Ubuntu seems like the best choice but it does seem like Mint is listening more to its user base and provides a solid out of the box experience. 

I like Mint.

I like all Linux distro's :)  

I used to distro hop a lot in the past, usually due to compatibility issues with hardware or just having fun. Ubuntu

works, I am used to it so I don't see the need to change to another distro. I did change to Kubuntu for my laptop - KDE has better 2nd screen support and I do have a soft spot for Puppy Linux - my favourite rescue OS.

Popularity of Mint was rocketing after Ubuntu came installed with Unity. Unity was horrible the first release and disappointed a lot of users - it was slow, buggy and different. It works fine now and I even have seen posts of people installing Unity on Mint. For support and gaming (steam) Ubuntu seems like the best choice but it does seem like Mint is listening more to its user base and provides a solid out of the box experience. 
My distro hopping was mainly for fun and curiosity.  Sometimes it was just to see how they presented things, since that is important to some people and it gets a lot of attention (I never really liked the Ubuntu color choices, for example).  That is where live cds/dvds were helpful just to try them out.  A side benefit came when I started getting asked by others to "fix" their computer, or install Linux, or just to offer suggestions.  Kubuntu was what I usually gave people.

A couple years ago when my laptop died someone helped me out by giving me a desktop so that I had something somewhat recent to use, however I needed a laptop so I borrowed one from a family member, and since I needed it right then for classes I ended up getting stuck with Kubuntu.  I usually kept a few install discs around, but that was all I found, and once I started using it I didn't bother with the OS anymore.  It worked fine, but was not my personal preference.  (This was around when I was originally going to try Gentoo after having used Sabayon a few times and really enjoying it.)  I am pretty sure many distros are fine for most people for typical everyday stuff.  I won't say I like all distros since I have probably only used a couple dozen,  but most of them seem to be decent enough for the goals they try to meet.

I should probably try Ubuntu and Mint soon just so I can see what is happening with some of the more popular distros.

Popularity of Mint was rocketing after Ubuntu came installed with Unity. Unity was horrible the first release and disappointed a lot of users - it was slow, buggy and different.

Exactly.

it does seem like Mint is listening more to its user base and provides a solid out of the box experience. 

Not when it is about native midi-support for some reason.

I won't say I like all distros since I have probably only used a couple dozen,  but most of them seem to be decent enough for the goals they try to meet.

I should probably try Ubuntu and Mint soon just so I can see what is happening with some of the more popular distros.

You might have tried more distro's than I have - I like having the option to pick another distro more than actually installing and using it. I did try - and still play around with - lots of Puppy Linux derivatives - small, fast and easy to install. You can download, install and be back on line with Puppy within 15 minutes.

It is just nice to know there are other solutions if your primary distro fails to deliver. I might give Mint a try as well - tried it a few years ago and didn't see a huge difference with Ubuntu then.

it does seem like Mint is listening more to its user base and provides a solid out of the box experience. 
Not when it is about native midi-support for some reason.

Yes, unfortunately there is still some stuff not working out of the box... There might be small differences between distro's but most hardware should nowadays be pretty much plug and play. 

About which midi support are you talking? I connected an usb midi device (the piano of my gf) once and it worked out of the box afair.

Back