Linux On The Gpx2

Cyclops

I use gnu-linux and have done for 2 years, and have some understanding of what it is, but what I don't understand what impact this will have on the GPx2. I personally have said some outrageous things in this regard, but at the end of the day have no real understanding.

I notice things like:

"Linux is just the kernel"

"Linux hogs memory CPU cycles"

"It won't be a full distribution"

To quote just a few.

I personally, am just missing the point. LinuxDevices states that it plans on drawing on the many emulators currently available on Linux, and IMO would be foolish to do anything else.

Will it be linux in my pocket with all that brings Samba; SSH; Mplayer; XMMS; Framebuffer; Alsa; K-Drive; SDL; Reiserfs4 amongst others. Without starting on the vast array of games; emulators.

How will it take advantage of 2CPU's, or other features of megiceyes CPU?

Will the isolated GPscene become part of a larger Open-Source scene?

I don't think that the "Linux OS" of the GPX2 will be a full distribution like as a example RedHat. I think that it'll be more like the GP32, where you just use the OS/firmware to choose the programs. They will also most likely use it for their media-functions.

But I'm pretty sure that someone will make a "real" distribution.

You won't be able to use KDE (you mentioned k-drive ;) ) because it's too slow for real purposes. Reiserfs is pretty bad for use on sd-cards. ;)

I think it will use the first processor to run the OS and the second for media-functions.

But maybe I'm totally wrong. :unsure:

it will probably have a very basic gui, not kde or gnome or anything. It will most likely be used for media purposes. Someone will most likely make a full distrobution of linux for it, but my guess is that the one that comes with it will be little more than our gp32 firmwares.

Digitalrat posted on Aug 10 2005 at 03:54 PM said:
I don't think that the "Linux OS" of the GPX2 will be a full distribution like as a example RedHat. I think that it'll be more like the GP32, where you just use the OS/firmware to choose the programs. They will also most likely use it for their media-functions.

But I'm pretty sure that someone will make a "real" distribution.

You won't be able to use KDE (you mentioned k-drive ;) ) because it's too slow for real purposes. Reiserfs is pretty bad for use on sd-cards. ;)

I think it will use the first processor to run the OS and the second for media-functions.

But maybe I'm totally wrong. :unsure:

Having Linux work though a propriaty interface is pretty limiting, will it even have a similar file structure. Really I'm not so much concerned about a full distribution, just whether there is a base-system installed, and a standard sensible way to add to it. I assume it could work like all the other mini-distributions out there, with an awful lot sat in a compressed filesystem in nand,

Sorry I meant Tiny X Server http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html
not full KDE, although QT is banded about as being able to work on mobiles and such.

Is Reiserfs really pretty bad for use on sd-cards? I looked at this post which implies it is better than VFAT/EXT2/EXT3 http://www.handhelds.org/hypermail/familiar/273/27320.html
and JFFS2 is the way to go, or maybe not http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/li...uly/030336.html
but I suspect whatever goes on it will be a step up from fat12

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it might be similar to what you get on the Zaurus with Openembedded.

But my guess it that it runs just the kernel, with a basic userinterface done by GameparkHoldings on top of it. This way if wouldn't need much recources at all.

The only thing that points to a more complete Linux on the GPx2 is the 64MB flash mem, which basicly is exactly what the full Openembedded ditribution with several usefull applications needs on the Zaurus (which btw is a Arm, 200mhz and up, based Linux PDA for those that wonder. In other words it is quite similar to the gpx2 in some regards.)

P.S.: @ cyclops: there is also Opie, which is a QT based GUI exspecially build for portable devices ( so it is kind of of a portable KDE).

Julius posted on Aug 10 2005 at 05:09 PM said:
Well it might be similar to what you get on the Zaurus with Openembedded.

But my guess it that it runs just the kernel, with a basic userinterface done by GameparkHoldings on top of it. This way if wouldn't need much recources at all.

The only thing that points to a more complete Linux on the GPx2 is the 64MB flash mem, which basicly is exactly what the full Openembedded ditribution with several usefull applications needs on the Zaurus (which btw is a Arm, 200mhz and up, based Linux PDA for those that wonder. In other words it is quite similar to the gpx2 in some regards.)

P.S.: @ cyclops: there is also Opie, which is a QT based GUI exspecially build for portable devices ( so it is kind of of a portable KDE).

Opie does look quite cool. It got me greedy for a while wanting Irda and touchscreen. I would like to use my GP32 as a remote control. I do like the idea of accessing my GPnextgen through a VNC connection which I hadn't thought of before.

The Gui itself is a good example is it just a little SDL program that sits on top of linux...or something else.

Opie looks way too pretty. Although I didn't see any landscape views in the screenshots for 320x240.

Does anyone actually know whats planned out of the box

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gui itself is a good example is it just a little SDL program that sits on top of linux...or something else.
I doubt SDL, as that's just a graphics/sound/joystick library (though a fantastic one). Something like QT, GTK, or FLTK will have to be ported, as well as a simple WM (Openbox, FVWM, etc.)

Linux on GPX2 will mainly allow for the porting of many useful linux programs -- SDL games, Audio Players... anything that will use libraries that are also ported to the system and isn't hindered by the relatively low speed of the GPX2 (compared to a modern computer).

i think right now they use a basic linux kernel and perhaps a framebuffer gui. that would be the fastest and wont use much resources.
but it would be cool to build a full PDA linux for the gpx2, the specs are perfect for it, just the missing touchscreen is a little problem.

All we have heard really is that:

o) Runs Linux !

o) Takes 4 seconds to bootup, which is about normal for the kernel to boot, so unlikely to be much else loading, unless it's a really stripped down kernal.

o) A linux emulator (ok, it's a Gameboy emu, but still...) apparently took an incredibly short amount of time to port to the GPx2, so chances are there's at least some standard stuff in there.

o) It uses the MMSP2 chip, and someone mentioned the MMSP2 devkit runs the 2.4 release of Linux, and since it would be silly to re-port, there's a good chance this is what GPH are using.

For non-pc devices linux is normally embedded into a chip so that means very fast loading times and very little overhead processing. And also there would be any loading of needless drivers, only enough to run their GUI ontop of the kernel.

Back