The Gpx2 Will Have Maaaany Programs

Doubt it, but i gues a port of the zodiac version of osnes9x could run pretty well, even unoptimised we should get a good bit over zodiac levels, when multicore/2dchip would be added it could be easyly fullspeed.

Heheh - I was expecting something along these lines to happen :). I do wonder if GPH had even thought of trying it, considering their justification for the GPX2 NOT being compatible is simply that

GPX2 uses a completely different OS to the GP32 and so backward compatibility will not be feasible

Which presumably refers to the bios, and the presence of linux as a loader (and possibly full OS).

So far as I can tell, the key things that'd need to be accounted for are the presence of SMCs instead of SD cards in the GP32, the screen (which may or may not be the same as a BLU+) and the fact that we have no knowlege of the overclockability of the new chip (it may not work in quite the same way). Plus there's more ram, of course, but the GP32 bios has already been patched for that before...

Only proggies I reckon won't work on it are those that use intensive bits of MMUing in them, on account of it might need to be used by the "emu".

However, I'm not a dev'r. With any luck this endeavour will bear fruit before release. If it does, I imagine there will be a LOT more early-takers for the GPx2. Myself included.

Delsabre posted on Aug 1 2005 at 02:05 AM said:
From what I read at gpx2.com it sounds like GPH's developers are already programming quite a few apps for the gpx2.

GPH is trying to make a PDA , but USA import laws wont allow
it , too much heat on Hewlett Packard and other PDAs .
So they pass it off as a GameBox , but the hardware specs show
it has same power as the CPU in all PDAs !
All thats needed is a soldering iron !

My GP2X will have
1) HDD*2
2) an ATAPI DVD burner , a cable to my
3) 17" LCD , a cable to my
Linksys "G" wifi

and 20 softkeys around the GP2X LCD ..
There is nothing slow about the ARM engine, it
will replace the IBM-PC and Microsoft !

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimacs posted on Aug 1 2005 at 07:17 PM said:
Doubt it, but i gues a port of the zodiac version of osnes9x could run pretty well, even unoptimised we should get a good bit over zodiac levels, when multicore/2dchip would be added it could be easyly fullspeed.
That all depends on if the graphics code is old, slow C or custom ARM9 ASM-- it may be the same speed, or slower, than existing GP2X SNES emulators. Using the 940T could help somewhere, potentially, but '2dchip'..? The GP2X's '2d accelerator' does extremely little for emulator performance. That bit should run the same.

Full-speed .. in some games, yes. All of them? Definitely not. Easily? Not at all.

Epicenter, do you notice that that post was from fucking 1st aug 2005? At that time there wasnt a gp2x snes emu, or even a gp2x...

AcidiC posted on Dec 19 2006 at 08:41 AM said:
Can't wait till the gpx2 comes out!
got to wait til the gp32 is out first though

werty posted on Dec 19 2006 at 05:34 AM said:
Delsabre posted on Aug 1 2005 at 02:05 AM said:
From what I read at gpx2.com it sounds like GPH's developers are already programming quite a few apps for the gpx2.

GPH is trying to make a PDA , but USA import laws wont allow
it , too much heat on Hewlett Packard and other PDAs .
So they pass it off as a GameBox , but the hardware specs show
it has same power as the CPU in all PDAs !
All thats needed is a soldering iron !

My GP2X will have
1) HDD*2
2) an ATAPI DVD burner , a cable to my
3) 17" LCD , a cable to my
Linksys "G" wifi

and 20 softkeys around the GP2X LCD ..
There is nothing slow about the ARM engine, it
will replace the IBM-PC and Microsoft !
Hello werty!

Welcome to 2006. I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay in the real world.

Back