Linux Applications Compatibility

ibogdan

Still Fresh
I've read the faq's browsed the wiki, etc. ...but i haven't found one bit of information (i'm not a programmer so i'm clueless).

If the pandora will have linux as an OS will it be able to run any linux aplication (not considering the limited performance of the console), or will the aplications need to be ported for the pandora? If they will need to be ported is it just to run on an ARM cpu or are there other reasons?

Thank you.

The Angstrom Linux distro already has a huge repository of already compiled software available to download and so won't require any recompilation.
Unlike the GP2X and Wiz etc. it's got a desktop and lots of libraries already installed, so porting may not even be necessary and may just require recompilation depending on what libraries are required. I think beagleboard apps might not even need to be recompiled but someone confirm that for me?
Games will likely need to be ported, simply because of the huge change in resolution. And if they don't need their code changed they'll likely need all their graphics redesigned to support the high res screen!

Compiled applications must, at minimum, be recompiled for ARM. OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0 are supported in the current graphics chip driver, but not full OpenGL, although I hear that the chip is capable. UIs designed for displays greater than WVGA will likely require modification.

ibogdan said:
I've read the faq's browsed the wiki, etc. ...but i haven't found one bit of information (i'm not a programmer so i'm clueless).

If the pandora will have linux as an OS will it be able to run any linux aplication (not considering the limited performance of the console), or will the aplications need to be ported for the pandora? If they will need to be ported is it just to run on an ARM cpu or are there other reasons?

Thank you.

Yes, anything that's not specifically for Linux AND ARM will probably have to be recompiled (if it's compiled.) If it's written in Python or something it will probably just work as long as it doesn't depend on ctypes or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50873-linux-apps/

Does this mean it's ok to develop an SDL application using gcc on ubuntu and just recompile for pandora when you get it? I'm assuming as long as you don't use anything hardware specific it will work, right?

Beepo said:
Does this mean it's ok to develop an SDL application using gcc on ubuntu and just recompile for pandora when you get it? I'm assuming as long as you don't use anything hardware specific it will work, right?

Yes.

We need a sticky for this. People just don't understand the difference between a large PC (x86) and small device (ARM)...

Would be helpful if one of the pros could write an easy to understand explanation and we could add it to the wiki then :)

mali said:
Would be helpful if one of the pros could write an easy to understand explanation and we could add it to the wiki then :)

Someone did, let me find it...
Ah yes, it's the quote in the first post of the thread Vitel posted. That's here.

So there is only one thing left to do :) I don't edit wikis in my spare time so it's up to someone else.

I added a link to Hobbyman's very informative post in the FAQ. I updated a few other bits and pieces as well.

While this may be sticky-worthy, so is almost everything else in the FAQ. That's why we have a FAQ - so that we don't have an entire first page full of stickies. Instead of dozens of stickies, we just have one. That one sticky has links to all the information you could want about the Pandora. If a person isn't going to bother to read that one sticky, they're certainly not going to read dozens.

Back