Linux And The August Release Expectation

TaG said:
So if TI are doing/helping with linux, will they make the drivers open source too?
Some might be, but licensed hw like the PowerVR will not. We will get a nice blob thats opengles compliant.
The wireless is a 3rd party so it depends on the company that makes it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
At the time I thought DJwillis was the only person working on linux. I speak with from time to time and every now and I somtimes ask about the linux for Pandora. The impression I get from him is that there is still a lot work to be done. So then I have to ask how is that Pandora will release after August with linux and a gui completed. Part of that answer is by sharing the work with the Beagle board group.
Ding!

Give that man a seeegar!

Couple that with piling on a few seasoned old-hands at embedded Linux development...it SHOULD be there by the release time sufficient to call it "done". There's a period in bring up that seems like forever, might BE forever, but then it comes down like a landslide and starts pretty rapidly coming together. Mostly because you got the kernel up and stable and the runtime libs there as well- once that happens, as long as your apps and UI all pass muster elsewhere and don't do stupid things, it all just kind of happens within days or weeks.

But I think we still need to see some hard proof soon to consider buying something by preorder.

/me nods... I'm with you there. ;)

If this is a scam, craigx must actually be ocean.
But yeah, i want to see one running before i hit the big yellow "buy" button.
also, the first video of a pandora should be of someone using it to buy a pandora.
that would be awesome, but i have no idea why.

craigix said:
You can head over to the beagle board if you want to see some omap3+linux action. The Pandora stuff is based on that.
Where can one download said "Pandora stuff"?

cb88 said:
now i am confused is the pandora gonna run openembeded or debian by default?
No one knows for sure. Debian was never a guarantee, it was only a possibility. Besides the emulator thread, we know nil about what the software end of things will be.

tmcnair said:
craigix said:
You can head over to the beagle board if you want to see some omap3+linux action. The Pandora stuff is based on that.

What are you talking about? "Based on" means that the pandora stuff is partially derived from the beagle OS I believe... there is nothing to be downloaded yet.

waffles said:
If this is a scam, craigx must actually be ocean.
But yeah, i want to see one running before i hit the big yellow "buy" button.
also, the first video of a pandora should be of someone using it to buy a pandora.
that would be awesome, but i have no idea why.

I dont think its a scam, we have seen the hardware. Its really more a question of quality.

xnopasaranx said:
tmcnair said:
craigix said:

What are you talking about? "Based on" means that the pandora stuff is partially derived from the beagle OS I believe... there is nothing to be downloaded yet.

"Based on" means that you have taken something and changed it for your needs. So "Pandora stuff", at the very least, should be a set of patches against the beagle distro. That is what I was asking about.

By the way - have you taken a look at the beagle site? Now those folks seem to understand what it means to have an open project.

cb88 said:
Can't say, it's a secret ;)

A certain dog may be able to help you on your way however.... :D

Squidge said:
cb88 said:

It's funny because it's true.

Squidge said:

Dog? hmmm... but not just a dog - a "Certain dog" - so it's not like a type of dog, like a doverman, terrier, or beagel - it's a certain individual dog.

Well, what's the first "Certain" - as in specific, named dog that comes to mind... Well, it's Lassie of course! But how would Lassie help you know more about the operating system?

Well, the word "lassie" is a Scottish word for "girl" - So, what operating system was named after a girl? Well, the only one I can think of is the Apple Lisa - and that makes sense because Lisa is pretty close to Lassie, (in fact, all the letters for LISA are in the word LASsIe....) - AND Steve Jobs is 60% Scottish...

Now Steve Jobs worked on some other operating systems, including NeXT - and, of course, Mac OS X. Now, Mac OS X is named after cats - not dogs - but Mac is famous for the Moofing cowdog - and one of the most popular FTP programs for Mac OS X is called Fetch - and it's icon is a dog. And, of course - Fetching is like finding, which would "help you on your way".... Not to mention that Mac OS X features the "Finder" - which, again "helps you on your way". And I think the who cat vs dog thing was a backwards hint anyway...

And Dog has three letters - Mac is three letters - OS X is three letters....

So, obviously, Squidge is saying that the operating system for the Pandora is Mac OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard!

chad78 said:
So, obviously, Squidge is saying that the operating system for the Pandora is Mac OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard!
Nah, that would basically make it a Mac, and then they'd have to raise the price by $1500 and make the case white.

Prophet said:
chad78 said:
Nah, that would basically make it a Mac, and then they'd have to raise the price by $1500 and make the case white.

:rolleyes: bah! You *OBVIOUSLY* know nothing about Macs.

It's Black - so it would cost *more* than the white model. Duh!

Plus, it's much smaller and much less powerful than the other MacBooks - so it would cost about 3 times what you said. It *DOES* have a Solid State Drive and a Touch screen, does it not?

Yeah, we're looking at about $4499 for the White model - $4999 for the Black model - and $7499 for the Pro version.

(And, yeah, I'm a Mac user. Just not a Fanboi. I don't like iPods. And the MacBook Air is stupid.)

tmcnair said:
xnopasaranx said:
tmcnair said:
craigix said:

"Based on" means that you have taken something and changed it for your needs. So "Pandora stuff", at the very least, should be a set of patches against the beagle distro. That is what I was asking about.

By the way - have you taken a look at the beagle site? Now those folks seem to understand what it means to have an open project.

Yes, but this isn't a completely 'Open' project. Beage Board is. Pandora is a product in the end and it's purpose is to be both a consumer device and development platform. It is kind of similar to how the original Roomba was intended to be both a vacuum robot and a robotics platform.

Also, don't forget

tmcnair said:
Squidge said:
cb88 said:

It's funny because it's true.

Thats really unnecessary

It appears that OpenEmbedded-based images run on the Beagleboard and the underlying hardware is the same, the big question from my point of view is really whether the closed binaries (BT, Wifi, PowerVR) will be distributed in a form that can be used/interfaced with different kernel versions (rather than the Ti pre-built stuff)? Otherwise one would probably be able to build an OE-based image, but it would not have working BT/WiFi/PowerVR (which would be annoying).

Will the Pandora use an LCD controller, or the built-in OMAP stuff?

You should be able to build OE-base Images with the Prebuilt kernels.
Pandora also is more likely to use built in OMAP modules over external ones, especially since we want to take advantage of the GPU.

You should be able to build OE-base Images with the Prebuilt kernels.

Of course, it would just be nice to be able to roll our own.

Pandora also is more likely to use built in OMAP modules over external ones, especially since we want to take advantage of the GPU.

I hope the screen display bandwidth is taken into consideraton, this is an ever present problem on the Nokia tablets due to the LCD controller. GPU should work in either case, as long as the framebuffer memory is mapped somewere.

lardman said:
I hope the screen display bandwidth is taken into consideraton, this is an ever present problem on the Nokia tablets due to the LCD controller. GPU should work in either case, as long as the framebuffer memory is mapped somewere.
Can't find it now but someone mentioned it here or in beagleboard irc (there is no search but google has it, search archive url for for pandora) that running beagle at 1024x768 (or higher) in truecolor eats a lot of RAM bandwidth for refresh but 800x480x16 is still acceptable on Pandora. So I guess they are using internal display controller with fb in normal RAM.

Back