Linux And The August Release Expectation

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
The website states that the Pandora is aiming for a release in august. So far we have been shown the hardware and very examples of applications running which Im pretty sure are running without any OS underneath ( and even those are running on TI dev boards)

As far as I know the linux isnt close to being ready and not for a August release. Nothing has been shown yet for the gui, but craigix has discussed it and it appears its being developed direct on the hardware, no OS underneath.

So the question is what is the real state of the OS and GUI for the Pandora?
Who is really building linux to run on it?
What software is actually going to be shipped on Pandora (in time for august)?

To me seems like the august timeframe is far too optimistic.

You can head over to the beagle board if you want to see some omap3+linux action. The Pandora stuff is based on that.

"Preordering starts in August" sounds more like "Shipping in September/October" ^_^
Maybe November, DECEMBER?????? :ph34r:

Enough Time to make a complete OS for the Pandora. :D

Pickle said:
craigix said:
You can head over to the beagle board if you want to see some omap3+linux action. The Pandora stuff is based on that.
Who's building up that linux, TI?

Yes, as well as the beagle scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
The website states that the Pandora is aiming for a release in august. So far we have been shown the hardware and very examples of applications running which Im pretty sure are running without any OS underneath ( and even those are running on TI dev boards)

As far as I know the linux isnt close to being ready and not for a August release. Nothing has been shown yet for the gui, but craigix has discussed it and it appears its being developed direct on the hardware, no OS underneath.

So the question is what is the real state of the OS and GUI for the Pandora?
Who is really building linux to run on it?
What software is actually going to be shipped on Pandora (in time for august)?

To me seems like the august timeframe is far too optimistic.
The website says pre-orders in August. That means actual release is September. (possibly October)

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
The website says pre-orders in August. That means actual release is September. (possibly October)
-God Ginrai
That point as already been made.
I also got a better idea on who is building the linux, which was my main reason for the thread.

Pickle said:
I also got a better idea on who is building the linux, which was my main reason for the thread.
Want to clue us in? Or do you enjoy being secretive as much as Craigix does?

chad78 said:
Pickle said:
Want to clue us in? Or do you enjoy being secretive as much as Craigix does?
It's in this topic.

-God Ginrai

chad78 said:
God Ginrai said:
It's in this topic.

Did you mean this one? http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42756

No, this one:

Pickle said:
craigix said:
Pickle said:
craigix said:

I think thats the answer I was looking for.

It's only three posts above yours.

Pickle said:
craigix said:
Pickle said:
craigix said:

I think thats the answer I was looking for.

It's only three posts above yours.

Darn the secret it out...

ok, I'm totally confused. I thought Pickle meant he had a better idea than we do. And when I found that other thread where he lists who is working on what, that kind of confirmed it.

But you were actually saying that this thread gave you a better idea - not that you already had one.

I'm an idiot. Carry on.

chad78 said:
ok, I'm totally confused. I thought Pickle meant he had a better idea than we do. And when I found that other thread where he lists who is working on what, that kind of confirmed it.

But you were actually saying that this thread gave you a better idea - not that you already had one.

I'm an idiot. Carry on.
That list was a little before this thread.
At the time I thought DJwillis was the only person working on linux. I speak with from time to time and every now and I somtimes ask about the linux for Pandora. The impression I get from him is that there is still a lot work to be done. So then I have to ask how is that Pandora will release after August with linux and a gui completed. Part of that answer is by sharing the work with the Beagle board group.
But I think we still need to see some hard proof soon to consider buying something by preorder.

Pickle said:
chad78 said:

I'm an idiot. Carry on.
That list was a little before this thread.
At the time I thought DJwillis was the only person working on linux. I speak with from time to time and every now and I somtimes ask about the linux for Pandora. The impression I get from him is that there is still a lot work to be done. So then I have to ask how is that Pandora will release after August with linux and a gui completed. Part of that answer is by sharing the work with the Beagle board group.
But I think we still need to see some hard proof soon to consider buying something by preorder.

I'm just waiting for the supposed flood of developer videos that we keep hearing should be coming. ;P

-God Ginrai

Back