Links2x Supports F200's Somehow?

narmak

Hey everyone! So, I was looking around for apps to use with my cradle, and I noticed links was ported. So i downloaded links2x from the archives (said it was from 2006), loaded it up and got my nintendo wifi adapter started up. I was able to browse the web with my usb keyboard, but also, I was able to use the touchscreen for the mouse. Has anyone noticed this? This is exactly the sort of functionality I was looking for in a browser maybe a few months down the line once people adopted the f200 more, but it seems like it's already built into this application. Just thought I would share this, not sure if anyone else noticed, it's very useful to not have to bring a mouse along. Cheers.

Well its just a straight arm-linux binary of links, and as it originated on the PC, it already had mouse and keyboard support. I didn't know that the firmware represents the screen as a mouse though.

yeah, it's strange, because a usb mouse will not work with this program. I think it was ported as an sdl app, and so if they just used those mouse libs, the f200 detects the screen as the mouse.

Well, what happened was i went through the list of all the adapters that use that rt2570 chipset, found out the belkin one doesn't work because they changed the chipset, but kept the same model name on the product. So, then I found a nintendo one that said buffalo on the side so i figured it would work, and it did. I don't see any reason why an f200 wouldn't be compatible with just as many wifi adapters as the older versions, they took out the usb networking, not usb host support, so i can still load up driver modules for connected devices with Wireless Usb Toolkit. I can upload some videos of browsing around on it if anyone is interested.
xcen said:
scuse the n00bness but how did you get the nintendo adapter working on the f200? I was not aware of that possibility

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely a mainstream product, it's the only wifi adapter you can find for the nintendo wii and the ds. I found mine at fred meyers of all places, and for only 31 bucks too. I'm not really sure if nintendo produced different versions of the adapter, but i don't think they did, and as long as the adapter says 'powered by buffalo' on it, you should be good.
xcen said:
I'll try to find out exactly which one you have. If it's a mainstream product it could be easy to get one =), put that cradle to good use hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if you're interested, but I just ran over to radioshack today and bought a 4xAA battery holder for 2 bucks, and then ran over to goodwill to look through their power adapters to find one that was <->---<o---<+> and the same size as what fits in the cradle. Picked it up, along with a netgear wireless g router for 6.99. Went home, cut off the end of the power adapter and soldered it to the battery holder. Using rechargeable batteries, this produces about 5v, using non-rechargeable batteries i think it's something like 6 volts. Anyhow, i plugged it in, light-up usb keyboard, optical mouse, and nintendo wifi adapter all working together without the need to be plugged into any outlets. I haven't tested battery life yet, but i'll post it once i run it a little longer.

Well, i decided to pick up one of these from here, it's a folding keyboard from targus that's only 5.6" by 4.2" when closed. I was also looking at the happy hacker 2 lite keyboard, but i didn't want to pay the high price, plus the high shipping cost, which this keyboard doesn't have.

I've been testing this thing out, had it running for a couple hours last night, gonna continue timing it today, but it's still going strong. I love links on this thing, totally removes the need for a mouse (though i keep the mouse plugged in when timing to make sure it's under its heaviest load), and even allows you to sort of configure your touchscreen by moving the arrow buttons while moving your finger, so you can allign the pointer a little to the left of where you are pressing to help you reach scrollbars, or menus, or what have you.

I had gpe going off the loopback image, running gaim, and dillo at the same time, and abiword too, i'm really surprised with how well it runs, though i do overclock it to 240 in gmenu2x when running gpe.

I tried setting up gpe with ext2, but now my gp2x can't recognize that card, guess i probably should have partitioned it with a small fat on the side. Gonna try mounting the sd from sterm, cause i think it might just be an issue with the startup process.

Back