Librem 5 phone by Purism

Can you add any others? It’s quite an interesting approach :)
λ the β-Redex Reducer is right, that's about it, but if you want to stretch the imagination, you could conjure up future extensions.
For instance the Librem 5 doesn't have FM or LoRa. Maybe one can imagine taking out the modem and plugging in a FM card (with some kind of antena ?), or a modem+FM card, or take out the Wifi card and plug in some LoRa gear, or whatever.
I'm not sure the interface would make it easy (would the software have to send an AT command to dial an FM station ???) and the effort could easily be much more than it is worth however you look at it, but crazy people make crazy things, so who knows...
Looking at docs it seems some interfaces are MDIO or I2S, but I don't know... I guess it would make even less economic sense than technical sense.

λ the β-Redex Reducer is right, that's about it, but if you want to stretch the imagination, you could conjure up future extensions.
For instance the Librem 5 doesn't have FM or LoRa. Maybe one can imagine taking out the modem and plugging in a FM card (with some kind of antena ?), or a modem+FM card, or take out the Wifi card and plug in some LoRa gear, or whatever.
I'm not sure the interface would make it easy (would the software have to send an AT command to dial an FM station ???) and the effort could easily be much more than it is worth however you look at it, but crazy people make crazy things, so who knows...
Looking at docs it seems some interfaces are MDIO or I2S, but I don't know... I guess it would make even less economic sense than technical sense.
However crazy, technically or financially, I love the sound of that xD

If you look at cultures like Cuba, they keep those old analogue cars running with everything they can. And because these cars do not rely on microtechnology, you can get your old piece of metal forged, duplicated and retro-fitted.

For the LibreM I can imagine duck-taped breakout devices. :D

I would stlll like something like LIAM or DAISY (Apple iphone recycling robots) for total recycle; or at least a place where we can send them in to be dismantled by humans.

If you look at cultures like Cuba, they keep those old analogue cars running with everything they can. And because these cars do not rely on microtechnology, you can get your old piece of metal forged, duplicated and retro-fitted.

For the LibreM I can imagine duck-taped breakout devices. :D

I would stlll like something like LIAM or DAISY (Apple iphone recycling robots) for total recycle; or at least a place where we can send them in to be dismantled by humans.
Completely agree! I think it would be really neat if Purism and Fairphone collaborated on their initiatives and if such work became mainstream. Not just for phones - in India they strip machines down completely to their component parts, whereas in the West we don’t really do anything like that

Last edited:
Completely agree! I think it would be really neat if Purism and Freephone collaborated on their initiatives and if such work became mainstream. Not just for phones - in India they strip machines down completely to their component parts, whereas in the West we don’t really do anything like that
Yes, all such initiatives should cooperate: OpenMoko, GTA04, Tinkerphones, Neo900, FairPhone, PinePhone, Purism, PiPhone, TyFone, ShiftPhone, ZeroPhone and how they were/are all called...
Unfortunately this never happens because it needs individualist who invest a lot of time and energy and are not appropriately rewarded for the numerous hours they spend while others earn money. Economy of scales is against making such initiatives mainstream against the existing mainstream.

Last edited:
Yes, all such initiatives should cooperate: OpenMoko, GTA04, Tinkerphones, Neo900, FairPhone, PinePhone, Purism, PiPhone, TyFone, ShiftPhone, ZeroPhone and how they were/are all called...
Unfortunately this never happens because it needs individualist who invest a lot of time and energy and are not appropriately rewarded for the numerous hours they spend while others earn money. Economy of scales is against making such initiatives mainstream against the existing mainstream.
Is that his Typhone: https://github.com/chfritz/typhone ?

Just reading the FAQ, it doesn’t look like a 5G modem would be a possible upgrade for the Evergreen:
“Unfortunately, it won't be possible to upgrade the modem to 5G, because 5G modems consume twice as much energy as LTE modems and require much greater heat dissipation than can provided by a passive heat spreader on an M.2 card that is 30x42mm in size. Plus, 5G in some countries is using new mmWave bands that require different types of antennas. However, LTE will likely remain the cellular standard used in most countries for the next two decades, because 5G is very expensive to implement and will mostly be limited to densely-populated urban centers.”

Yes, I remember when 3G modems first came out. You'd switch your phone into 3G mode and battery life would drop from a week to barely more than a day. Thankfully by the time 3G became a bigger deal, they'd got more sensible and barely used any more power than the old 2G stuff. Nowadays, 4G is where 3G was and 5G still uses more power, but cheap 5G phones are starting to come out, and that's generally when power consumption starts to flatten.

I’m hoping that does indeed happen, along with reduced thermal output...

Indeed. In most ICs the thermal output is almost directly related to the power consumption, and that's largely true of a modem as well, except for the small amount of power put out through the aerial.

Production seems to have restarted : I received mine yesterday - I would not have bet on which arrived first between this and the Pyra... Looks like Purism benefited from their higher firepower ! Well, that will give me a bit of food for thought until my Pyra arrives (I thing my order number is roughlty around 1000, more or less)

I did not even know that Purism finally ships Librem 5's. Good to hear that it finally ships to real customers, the release was a bit of a mess a few years ago.

Back