Legal PS1 Dumping?

DustinVgmaster

Still Fresh
For Pandora-related reasons, I was wondering if there is any LEGAL way to dump PS1/PSX games in the USA.

Yes. Just rip them. There's a tutorial somewhere here.

Last edited by a moderator:
What BP means to say is that in some cases companies are claiming that you don't have the right to do as you please with the software you bought. It depends on the software and if you have a problem with things like that. Personally I agree with BP, if you bought it, its yours to do with as you please. You aren't selling them or giving them away, you are just using what you rightfully bought.

I think of it like someone coming into my home and telling me that I can't use certain tools on the wood that I bought because they made both the wood and the tools. <_<

...I don't think so.

Legal, maybe not. Moral? That is up to you to decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the US, PS1 rips are (probably) illegal due to the DCMA. Specifically, the bit: "No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title."

PS1 disks have a few intentionally corrupt sectors that CD drives will correct, and the (actual, not emulated) PS1 will refuse to read a disk with the 'fixed' sectors. Making a rip and then playing it in an emulator would be considered circumvention.

This provision also makes things like playing DVDs in Linux illegal, since DVDs are encrypted.

IANAL, etc...

Do it anyway! Who gives a fuck? These are bullshit laws, you know. Civil disobedience! Nonviolent protest! Etc, etc.

This is the kind of crime that no one will ever get convicted for because it is laughable. Sony don't care that you play their PS1 games on an emulator, they care about people who rip their PS3 games and distribute them online, thereby removing the need for anyone to buy the games.

In this case, you both paid for the game and are not distributing it online, so Sony win both ways.

Do it anyway! Who gives a (naughty word)? These are (you have a foul mouth, you know) laws, you know. Civil disobedience! Nonviolent protest! Etc, etc.
Nah. I don't really want to do that.
MAUIVENTS.jpg
no.jpg

Well, shoot.

Thanks anyway, you guys.
Pack your computer, cross the border into Canada for a weekend (or Mexico if you're too far down south), rip everything you want while the ripping's good, and then cross back into the US knowing that no law has been broken. :p

Plus you get to visit Canada, and that's always a good thing. :D

Back