Learning To Program

nostromo

Still Fresh
I hope I will not be flamed for asking this, but anyway, I will ask anyway :)

I would like to learn to program so I can create something to run on the upcoming WIZ console (obviously starting with something really simple!)....

Keeping in mind that I have little or no experience in programming (I do know HTML very well, but thats not even a proper language).....

1. Which programming language should I be looking at?

2. What tools/SDKs will I be needing?

3. What documentations will I need?

4. What book/online docs should I buy/read, which will teach me in a step-by-step, easy manner, starting at a complete beginner's level the programming language for #1 ?

Thanks in advance for any help - any suggestions, hints etc. will be appreciated.

GLBasic and Fenix are two excellent BASIC style languages that will create code for GP2X and Wiz and eventually Pandora.

Both have very helpful dedicated forums as well as members on here who can give advice or assistance.

BASIC style languages are ideal for the beginner as the syntax (coding language) is generally very easy to follow and they usually share many features, so you can move from one to another without much difficulty.

Both are very fast and games can be created quickly and easily. There are lots of examples of games created with both languages here on the site.

GLBasic is commercial, so you'll have to download a fully featured demo to play with it, but Fenix is free.

GLBasic Site - http://www.glbasic.com/main.php?site=news

Fenix site - http://fenix.divsite.net/index.php?opcion=1&lang=en

Thanks a lot for this information - do both of these programs have compilers which compile GP2X/WIZ executables?

Thanks again.

Actually Fenix is more akin to C style languages, it's more similar to C, Javascript and PHP etc than it is to Basic.

If you're going to use a simple language then I would go for Fenix.

I can give you a dev environment for Fenix plus runtimes and setup etc if you like. I even have the WinXP runtimes and and can show you how to structure your output for the Wiz!

The programs themselves compile the code to various executables for devices. GLBasic compiles to Windows, Linux, OS-X, GP2X, PPC, Wiz, XBox Linux and soon Pandora. Fenix compiles to Linux, Windows, GP2X and Wiz and maybe others.

iprice said:
The programs themselves compile the code to various executables for devices. GLBasic compiles to Windows, Linux, OS-X, GP2X, PPC, Wiz, XBox Linux and soon Pandora. Fenix compiles to Linux, Windows, GP2X and Wiz and maybe others.
Actually Fenix doesn't compile to any system, it just compiles to a fenix version, it's the runtime that makes the difference.
i.e. I have been taking all the downloads for GP2X Fenix games and putting them on the Wiz, and all I change is the fxi runtime file and they work :) As long as you use the same runtime version as the compiled file then you have the same code running on any number of formats.

Last edited by a moderator:
WARMFLUFFY:

Thanks for the info.... So my guess is I will try Fenix (its free after all) to play around a bit with.

1. Can you suggest a good reading to start with?

2. I would appreciate if you can hook me up with all the stuff I need to have everything up and running to create WIZ applications!

3. Can I test these WIZ applications on a PC? I do not have a WIZ yet, of course

Thanks again!

nostromo said:
WARMFLUFFY:

Thanks for the info.... So my guess is I will try Fenix (its free after all) to play around a bit with.

2. I would appreciate if you can hook me up with all the stuff I need to have everything up and running to create WIZ applications!

3. Can I test these WIZ applications on a PC? I do not have a WIZ yet, of course
Thanks again!

Okay here we go:
1. I already have a bunch of PDF's with tutorial with my Fenix Dev environment.

2. Yes you can download a complete dev environment HERE, this includes Flamebird MX (The actual dev package), FNT Edit (The Font Editor), FPG Edit (Sprite Editor), plus the Windows runtime so you can test your programs in windows.

3. See point 2.

After downloading the Dev zip file, unpack the file to C:\ so the environment is all within C:\Fenix

If you need more info, then I am sure all the Fenix folk, Including myself, Ruckage, Peter_R etc will be willing to feed you with help and info. But try reading the PDF's first.

Have Fun,
Clare.

WarmFluffyUK said:
nostromo said:
WARMFLUFFY:

Thanks again!

Okay here we go:
1. I already have a bunch of PDF's with tutorial with my Fenix Dev environment.

2. Yes you can download a complete dev environment HERE, this includes Flamebird MX (The actual dev package), FNT Edit (The Font Editor), FPG Edit (Sprite Editor), plus the Windows runtime so you can test your programs in windows.

3. See point 2.

After downloading the Dev zip file, unpack the file to C:\ so the environment is all within C:\Fenix

If you need more info, then I am sure all the Fenix folk, Including myself, Ruckage, Peter_R etc will be willing to feed you with help and info. But try reading the PDF's first.

Have Fun,
Clare.

Thanks for all !!! I will dive into this and will let you know how it goes :)

nostromo said:
Thanks for all !!! I will dive into this and will let you know how it goes :)
Kewl, don't be afraid to ask, there's even a Fenix section of the forum :)

One thing I will say, keep all your file names lower case as Windows file system is not case sensitive, but Linux is, so keeping everything lower case makes things easier in the long run.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Actually Fenix is more akin to C style languages, it's more similar to C, Javascript and PHP etc than it is to Basic.
Fenix has changed quite a bit since I last used it then - I used it when Div Games Studio was dying a death (which the original Fenix was based on) and it was based on BASIC and PASCAL. It has been quite a few years though. I know they were in the process of changing due to a Spanish copyright law, but like I said, that was some time ago.

I'd forgotten about the FXI stuff.

Fenix certainly appears to have a larger user base and more tutorials than GLBasic, but both are very competent.

iprice said:
Fenix certainly appears to have a larger user base and more tutorials than GLBasic, but both are very competent.
Agreed, but I think Fenix is easier to port as you don't have to recompile, just use the correct runtime.

nostromo said:
Being a very basic (i.e. BASIC) programmer myself, I've tried both Fenix & Python and had some fun with them. But ultimately, GLBasic grabbed me more than either of the others. It turned out to be the most intuitive and user-friendly to my non-programmer brain. Also, the developers are very active on the forums, and responsive to bug reports & feature requests.

Incidentally, you don't have to buy GLBasic right away. It's free to use for an unlimited amount of time; the only catch is that your final compiled games will only run for two minutes until you buy a license...like demo versions of your game. :) But if you're just experimenting with programming, that should be enough for you to see if you like it.

Back